× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: itunes and iphone 7

Garthadam
Aspirant

itunes and iphone 7

I recently decided to copy my music library to the NAS system. I turned on the itunes function but cannot get my iphone 7 to connect. I realize that this is more of an iphone 7 problem but I get any help from them. i had to explain to there customer support what a NAs system was and their community forum wasn't any better.

RN 104 has been rebooted, all shares reset as other threads have suggested but the problem seems to be the phone. I can connect to the system with my sony experia without any troubles.

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The iTunes server in the NAS is reverse-engineered open source, and doesn't come from Apple.  Unfortunately no one has reverse-engineered the "home sharing" features in the real iTunes, and that is required in order to stream to an iOS device.  BTW, it also won't work with copy-protected iTunes music.

You can either

• install Apple's iTunes on a PC, keeping your music library on the NAS
  • install a DLNA client on the iPhone, and use ReadyDLNA or the Plex Server on the NAS
  • install Plex on the iPhone (using the Plex server on the NAS)

If you have copy-protected music, then the only option is to use Apple's iTunes. 

Otherwise, if you want to stream to your phone when away from home, then I suggest trying Plex.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The iTunes server in the NAS is reverse-engineered open source, and doesn't come from Apple.  Unfortunately no one has reverse-engineered the "home sharing" features in the real iTunes, and that is required in order to stream to an iOS device.  BTW, it also won't work with copy-protected iTunes music.

You can either

• install Apple's iTunes on a PC, keeping your music library on the NAS
  • install a DLNA client on the iPhone, and use ReadyDLNA or the Plex Server on the NAS
  • install Plex on the iPhone (using the Plex server on the NAS)

If you have copy-protected music, then the only option is to use Apple's iTunes. 

Otherwise, if you want to stream to your phone when away from home, then I suggest trying Plex.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements