× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ready nas rnd-2d not working, need to access files on discs

flombs75
Aspirant

ready nas rnd-2d not working, need to access files on discs

Hi,

Our ReadyNAS RN10200 rnd-2d has stopped working and I need to access the files on the discs that were inside the

NAS. I know it is an old product, would there be a newer product available that could be bought to access the files on the disc drives?

Thank you.

Nick

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ready nas rnd-2d not working, need to access files on discs

Any current ReadyNAS should be able to access your volume, assuming that the volume isn't the problem you have now.  So it is a good idea to do some troubleshooting, even if you decide it's time to upgrade the NAS, before you declare it's the hardware that's the problem..

If you move the drives from the old to the new, with power off, and then power on, it should mount your old data volume and all will be well.  It is best that the new NAS is on the same OS version as the old, though it really shouldn't cause any serious problems unless your old NAS firmware was way out of date.  If you have apps installed and you move to an Intel based NAS, they will not longer function.  We normally recommend you remove them on the old NAS before the migration, but that's not possible if the old NAS is broken.  So, you'll have to try to remove them once the volume is in the new NAS and then replace them with an x86 version if you still need them.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@flombs75

Welcome to the Community!

What is the current status of the NAS? Is it not powering on? If it is turning on, you may want to check the status of the NAS using RAIDar utility so if there's a chance to bring it back working then we may be able to help.

If it is already dead and it is under 3 years then you may want to contact Support so they can have it replaced. If you are planning on purchasing a new model you can directly migrate your disks to it as long as it is a ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware. You will be able to access your files after booting it normally.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Any current ReadyNAS should be able to access your volume, assuming that the volume isn't the problem you have now.  So it is a good idea to do some troubleshooting, even if you decide it's time to upgrade the NAS, before you declare it's the hardware that's the problem..

If you move the drives from the old to the new, with power off, and then power on, it should mount your old data volume and all will be well.  It is best that the new NAS is on the same OS version as the old, though it really shouldn't cause any serious problems unless your old NAS firmware was way out of date.  If you have apps installed and you move to an Intel based NAS, they will not longer function.  We normally recommend you remove them on the old NAS before the migration, but that's not possible if the old NAS is broken.  So, you'll have to try to remove them once the volume is in the new NAS and then replace them with an x86 version if you still need them.

Message 3 of 7
flombs75
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark,

Thank you for your reply, it has helped to somewhat aleviate some of the stress of hopefully regaining my files.

On my drives I only have folders with files in them and no apps.

Would you be willing to offer a reccomendation for a budget ReadyNAS that, should hopefully, be compatible with my

old equipment? I have attached an image of the sticker with the model name.

I beleive the OS that was operating in my RN10200 was Linux?

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 7
flombs75
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

We recently moved and I plugged in the wrong power plug in and it blew the motor. There was a flash and smoke.

Thankfully I removed the discs inside before this happened.

The ReadyNAS 212 - 2 Bay Diskless could be considered a straight swap?

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@flombs75

It's a good thing you were able to remove the drives.

RN212 can be used as a straight replacement for your RN102 🙂

HTH

Message 6 of 7
flombs75
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Nick

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies