× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas RN3220 volume degraded volume resyncing

Rollerball2021
Aspirant

readynas RN3220 volume degraded volume resyncing

I have a readynas 3220 RNR-12A, (all 12 drives) originally I had a drive#4 showing as failed, and then drive #11 showing yellow with reallocated sectors.  to be safe I did a backup to a 10 TB usb3 drive,  after it backed up we could not access the shares, I could ping it, but could not get in the admin screen any more.  I ended up going to the office and power down and back on again.

After this i could  access the NAS thru the admin web login, and the drives showed drive 4 as volume degrade, resyncing, and drive  11 missing. 

I replaced drive 11and it shows dark in the overview screen and not online.,shares are accessable, and the backup is accessable too.

So how to get  drive #11 online?,  drive #4 is still degraded volume resyncing.   should I replace #4? will that start the #11 drive and make it go online?

Thanks for any suggested actions

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: readynas RN3220 volume degraded volume resyncing

It has to complete the re-sync of the first drive before it starts the second. 

I assume you have RAID6 or RAID10, or your volume would be dead.  I suggest you check the SMART stats on the one that is syncing, because it may also have issues.  If it does, you may want to pull that new drive and wait for the re-sync to complete (or, possibly, fail to complete) and see if you still want to just add that new one to the others or replace the one that's currently syncing.  Your volume is probably currently unprotected (depends on the RAID type), so that backup was a good fallback plan, but let's try to get you back up with a good volume and no need to restore the backup data.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Rollerball2021 

It is hard to know the full story without looking at logs.

I can take a look at the logs if you need. Download the logs zip file from the web admin page: System > Logs > Dowload Logs

Upload the zip file to Google drive, Dropbox or similar and make a link where I can download the log zip file. PM me this link, don't post it publicly here.

Cheers

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It has to complete the re-sync of the first drive before it starts the second. 

I assume you have RAID6 or RAID10, or your volume would be dead.  I suggest you check the SMART stats on the one that is syncing, because it may also have issues.  If it does, you may want to pull that new drive and wait for the re-sync to complete (or, possibly, fail to complete) and see if you still want to just add that new one to the others or replace the one that's currently syncing.  Your volume is probably currently unprotected (depends on the RAID type), so that backup was a good fallback plan, but let's try to get you back up with a good volume and no need to restore the backup data.

Message 3 of 7
Rollerball2021
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,  I had to move the NAS in the rack that it was in, so I carefully powered off removed it from the rack and put it in it's new home, then powered back up, and the #4 drive now showed healthy ( but checking I can see reallocated sectors- another fail coming) so now drive #11 is now resyncing up to 8% now,  after this is done, I expect #4 to fail again, and I i'm ready with the replacement already. do you think it will rebuild if I pull #4 out and put a  new drive in?

Message 4 of 7
Rollerball2021
Aspirant

Yes, I forgot to mention, t is a raid 6, thank goodness for that.now I'm backingit up again whenI get another drive. 

Thanks again for the suggestions here.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Rollerball2021 wrote:

do you think it will rebuild if I pull #4 out and put a  new drive in?

Yes, but I would wait.  Even if there are errors on the drive, it will still provide some amount of RAID redundancy, which would protect your data if there are errors on yet another disk.

However, if the errors slow down the resync too much, you can pull #4 as well.  The NAS only resyncs one drive at a time, so it doesn't matter if you hot-insert the replacement or wait until #11 completes.

Message 6 of 7
Rollerball2021
Aspirant

Well, the readynas  rebuild/resynced the first bad drive, and then had a good status( backup drive only), but when it was done, it locked up and the  drive was not longer there. I had to go and power th unit off and back on again, and while it was down, I replaced bad drive #4. The Nas came up and recognize drive 4- but Dark.  The NAS started the rebuid/resync on # 11,  whenit was done, it recognzed drive 4 and started the rebuild/resync and was going ok.

It completed and the Raid 6 shows healthy now. Shares are all accesable.  what I learned form this is that it takes a long time to rebuild.

Thanks for your suggestion,. I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements