× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access iSCSI LUN via O/S SSH RN102

flattened
Apprentice

Access iSCSI LUN via O/S SSH RN102

Hi,

I have access the NAS via SFTP & SCP.

Where in the file structure is the actual LUN file so that I can copy it off the NAS for mounting elsewhere.

We have a iSCSI partition that will only be seen as RAW by the iSCSI connector in Windows and we need to see if it really is totally damaged,

The data\LUN folder appears to be empty.

Andy

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is in a hidden directory .iscsi

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is in a hidden directory .iscsi

Message 2 of 8
flattened
Apprentice

Fantastic! Thankyou (I had to google showing hidden files in WinSCP first!)

Andy.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let us know whether you are able to recover your data from your LUN or not.

iSCSI is probably the most fragile way to store data on any NAS.

Message 4 of 8
flattened
Apprentice

Hi there, 

Thanks I certainly will. I agree on the iSCSI&NAS advice too; it was set up by a predecessor and I do not know why. Once the LUN is off the NAS it will be factory reset and any restore will be done to SMB,

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

iSCSI is useful, but it does have to be setup right and used for the right reasons. Due to its fragile nature regular backups are more important than they would be otherwise.

iSCSI's very susceptible e.g. to a temporary problem on your network.

Some software may not work with SMB/NFS/AFP etc. shares, so iSCSI may be the only option in those cases.

We've just released ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0

I would update to that and then after verifying the update completed successfully do the factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) on that. That would mean that you would get a clean setup on that firmware. 6.6.0 includes an update of the core OS from Debian 7 to Debian 8.

Message 6 of 8
flattened
Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up on the OS. I had only actually updated to 6.5.2 from 6.5.1 yesterday!

They do have a backup but it is in a location remote to me  and I have their NAS (and is a Windows SBS Server backup). If I can do all the work here and send it back then all the better.

Andy.

Message 7 of 8
flattened
Apprentice

Apologies for the late reply on this now.

Thanks for your help. After copying the 800GB of data to a PC (took 24 hours using SCP) I was able to mount the iSCSI using OSFMount, make an Acronis TIB of it, restore the TIB to a PC harddrive to ensure it was all there then factory reset the NAS, updated the firmware and robocopied the entire structure back over to the unit. No more iSCSI.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements