× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Accessing the ELC data share for LAN only users

willo
Aspirant

Accessing the ELC data share for LAN only users

A little clarification required please

I have a site of say 50 users and of these the 5 managers need access to their data via Egnyte and the OLC Software. This is all setup beautifully but I'd like the remaining 45 users who only need SMB access on the LAN to just connect as they do now using \\servername\share and map that as a Mapped Network Drive in Windows. Those 45 users do not need to access the cloud just the local SMB share so am I right in seeing that I just need to have five power user accounts and then 45 local user logins or one master account, for sake of argument LanUser, that gives them rights to the data share.

Is this configuration possible by putting the data in the ELC share and creating cloud and readynas logins for the managers and just a local NAS login for the remaining 45? If so, I guess that I manually add the LanUser name to the security of the ELC share?

I have raised this with support but they are suggesting I need Power User for anyone who wants to map a network drive and I think the confusion maybe in the difference of a mapped SMB drive (via the LAN) and a mapped Egnyte Drive (using an HTTPS webdav logic)

Is this possible as it seems the right approach to use for an office based company with a few users requiring Power User access when they are offsite

Regards,
Mark
Message 1 of 11
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Hi Mark,

Yes, you can create one "LanUser" for the 45 employees. Although because they are logging in with the same credentials, they will all have the same permission level and see the same files. If that is okay, then yes, what you suggested will work.

~ Johnny
Message 2 of 11
willo
Aspirant

That's what I thought thanks Johnny - Shared rights on these are fine as they are all account executives who need access to the same data

If that's the case does the LanUser account need to be an Egnyte Power User Account or can I just manually add LanUser to the groups created by Egnyte on the ReadyNAS?
Message 3 of 11
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

You should make LanUser an Egnyte Power User so you have full visibility and control over the account through the central administration.
Plus Power Users are just much easier to manage and monitor with Egnyte audit reports.
Message 4 of 11
willo
Aspirant

Thanks Johnny, that's roughly what I thought you would say so I've been testing that style of setup on a spare Pro 2 and that seems to do exactly what we are looking for

I appreciate the advice and I'm looking forward to cracking on with a few of these builds now

Regards,
Mark
Message 5 of 11
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Sure, let me know if you have any further questions 🙂
Message 6 of 11
ytp
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can also use the active directorey to authenticate users to the ReadyNAS. I just finished migrating 25 users from a local server to the OLC and was able to replace all current drive mappings in our login scriipts to the new ELC path on the NAS. I just had to reset some permissions.
Message 7 of 11
WillC1
Aspirant

Hello Johnny -

I notice in this post you recommend creating one Power User for several users - should this still work? I cannot seem to make this work on my end.

Thanks!
-W
Message 8 of 11
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Hi Will,

This was one of the suggestions I gave earlier about having multiple employees use one Power User login.
Pro: you don't have to purchase additional Power Users, everyone logs on with same account
Con: everyone has access to everyone's files
If privacy isn't an issue (as with the original poster), then this is a good workaround.

~ Johnny
Message 9 of 11
WillC1
Aspirant

Yeah - I was doing it wrong: I was trying to associate multiple AD users with a single Egnyte account in the Egnyte settings on the NAS, rather than just mapping the drive with the shared Power User account.

Johnny - wouldn't it also be plausible to put the PLC on a server and have it work essentially as the OLC, but without the RAM limitations and Power-User-for-LAN disability?
Message 10 of 11
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

WillC wrote:
Johnny - wouldn't it also be plausible to put the PLC on a server and have it work essentially as the OLC, but without the RAM limitations and Power-User-for-LAN disability?

Running PLC on a server wouldn't work. PLC was designed for personal operating systems. Even if it did work, you'd now be VERY restricted to the Power User over LAN issue since everything will now be tied to one user account only.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements