× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Assistance with DynDns add on please

davidbeevor
Aspirant

Assistance with DynDns add on please

I am a complete novice and have just added DynDns_1 to my NV+. Following the instructions I have managed to log in to Root and change the login, username, password and my host name in the ddclient.conf file. My question is about the first line of the file which, in the sample file, shows daemon=600, but in the config file I edited has daemon=300

I assume/guess this has something to do with how often the software checks for IP address changes and notifies the dyndns server.

I have been told by a friend that the the people at DynDns do not like too many contacts so I need to make sure that I am only checking/notifying once a week(?) or whatever a good period of time would be.

I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on this for me and, also, how do I know that it is working?

Thanks
Dave
Message 1 of 4
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

DynDNS's Abuse policy resides: http://dyn.com/support/abuse/

'Daemon=600' means every 600 seconds, check to see if need to be updated.

60*60*24*7=604800
60 seconds x 60 minutes in an hour x 24 hours in a day x 7 days a week = 604800 seconds per week.

To confirm it is working, use your phone or find an online ping website and have it ping your dyndns address. If it resolves to what your IP address is for the network in which the ReadyNAS resides, you're golden.
Message 2 of 4
davidbeevor
Aspirant

Thanks very much.
Checked the abuse policy and I think once a day wouldn't be too abusive.
ddclient conf file now updated to Daemon=86400 and re uploaded
ping worked fine, reckon I'm good to go 🙂
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

davidbeevor wrote:
Thanks very much.
Checked the abuse policy and I think once a day wouldn't be too abusive.
ddclient conf file now updated to Daemon=86400 and re uploaded
ping worked fine, reckon I'm good to go 🙂

But that also means that you could go as long as 1 day with a stale IP address. The way for DDClient is supposed to work is to check your IP address as often as specified in the Deamon= directive and to update it only if it changes or if it has not changed in 25 days, at least according to the DDClient web site (see http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient/wiki/whatdoesitdo). I just insalled it, and can confirm that it did update once and is not updating at the frequency of the Deamon= directive. I cannot yet confirm that it does update when the IP changes.

I note that in the x86 version of DDClient 3.8.1, Daemon= is not even included in the example configuration!
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements