× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Automatic share named with active directory name user, appare when I use ADS security in RNDP400

Bob245
Guide

Automatic share named with active directory name user, appare when I use ADS security in RNDP4000

Hi at all,

I'm testing on a RNDP4000 ver 4.2.31 with 4 WD 3TB disks each. I was able to configure the security using Active Directory Service.

It works well. I created some shares with "default access" disabled  and I gave permission for write access only to specific users of the domain.

However, I note that if any user of the domain accesses the NAS from windows explorer (eg writes \\NAS01) he gets the list of all the shares and additionally he sees a share with his domain user name example "RobertReds" in which he can write . I would not like this share to be created that is activated automatically, how can I do? Furthermore, if I am an administrator and I explore the NAS I also see the "C" and "Home" share and within these shares I find the users share folders. How can I do only to have the shares that I have defined and not the automatic shares?

Thanks a lot. Bob

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Automatic share named with active directory name user, appare when I use ADS security in RNDP400

OS 6 will also share the data volume(s) to the admin - so that behavior won't change if you convert the NAS.

The volume naming convention is a bit different - OS 4 using letters (C,D,E,F) for the volume names.  With OS-6, it is called data if you are using XRAID.  If you are using FlexRAID you name the volume when you create it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

I note that if any user of the domain accesses the NAS from windows explorer (eg writes \\NAS01) he gets the list of all the shares and additionally he sees a share with his domain user name example "RobertReds" in which he can write . I would not like this share to be created that is activated automatically, how can I do?

You can disable the home share feature in the admin web ui (Frontview).

Click on "Security", then choose "User and Group Accounts".  You'll see a pull-down in the upper right hand corner.  Select "Preferences" there.

The second preference is "Private home shares for users"  Set that to "Disabled".

Message 2 of 6
Bob245
Guide

Perfect, now is OK.

But what you say about share "C" when use an administrative user (domain admins)?

Peraphs it is an administrative share and i cannot hide it?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

But what you say about share "C" when use an administrative user (domain admins)?

Peraphs it is an administrative share and i cannot hide it?

Correct.  The admin can see and access the full C volume - that behavior cannot be changed.

However, other users won't see it.

Note that your older NAS uses SMB 1 (unencrypted, and being deprecated by Microsoft).  It is possible to convert it to run OS 6 (currently 6.10.0 firmware).  That would use SMB 3.  

Netgear doesn't support that conversion, but many people have done it successfully.  If you do want to do it, I suggest upgrading your RAM to 2 GB (Currently it is 1 GB).  You'd need to do that with a single module (as your NAS only has one memory slot).

Message 4 of 6
Bob245
Guide

Hi,

its all ok. thanks for your answers!!

I have open another tread for OS upgrade (and you're already answering me).

We feel on the other tread I opened. Thanks

Bob

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

OS 6 will also share the data volume(s) to the admin - so that behavior won't change if you convert the NAS.

The volume naming convention is a bit different - OS 4 using letters (C,D,E,F) for the volume names.  With OS-6, it is called data if you are using XRAID.  If you are using FlexRAID you name the volume when you create it.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements