× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bitcoin Miner / Bitminter client

GJSchaller
Guide

Bitcoin Miner / Bitminter client

Has anyone had any thoughts on running a Bitcoin mining client, or a mining pool client, on the ReadyNAS?

I would LOVE to see something similar to Bitminter as a NAS add-on - something that could mine work units on the side, using spare CPU cycles.

Thank you!
Message 1 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Bitcoin Miner / Bitminter client

If you want to run this on your listed profile model, the NVX, I'd avoid it.

The NVX does not have much power in that area, an iPhone5 would probably yield better results.
Message 2 of 10
GJSchaller
Guide

Heh... good to know. Thank you!

I'm actually on a ReadyNAS Pro 4 now, but I imagine that wouldn't be too much different.
Message 3 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Pro4 has more juice, but still just a dual 1.8ghz Atom CPU. Won't compare to an i3/i5/i7 desktop CPU.
Message 4 of 10
ihartley
Tutor

You would be wasting your time - BIG-TIME. Bitmining now needs serious GPU grunt, I'd reckon 1 coin per thousand years on a ReadyNAS (if technology stood still meantime!)
Message 5 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Sounds about right.
Message 6 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

darn I just came here to ask this and found this thread, /sadface
Message 7 of 10
ihartley
Tutor

Forget GPUs for mining anymore. Since the mining ASICs came out anything else is a waste of time. And probably so is that now. Elvis has already left the building.
Message 8 of 10
jetharius
Aspirant

Sorry to Resurrect this thread.
Wanted to open it back up again with the advent of USB ASIC's and try to find someone to potentially compile an addon for the netgear series of NAS devices to run a standalone mining client using said USB ASIC's.
I have been running a set of two USB ASIC miners manufactured by butterfly labs. I've done some extensive googling on the subject of USB ASICs on NAS devices and i see several people creating custom firmware packages for the various models out there (not netgear). I am not versed in code and the idea of trying to do anything like what I've seen in alot of these guides is intimidating to put it lightly.

I Dont suppose there is a coder out there that can compile a Mining client as an addon for a USB ASIC? 24/7 uptime of NAS with low power draw is the endgame goal here.
Message 9 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

+1
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements