× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can access existing shares but not new ones on ReadyNas NV+

paynterf123
Aspirant

Can access existing shares but not new ones on ReadyNas NV+

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ that I have been using for years with Win 7 & Win10 boxes for online backups.  I recently created a new share to be the root archive for a new PC, but I can't seem to access it. 

I can see all the shares on one of my Win 10 boxes but not on the other.  On the box that cannot see the shares, I can see the ReadyNAS NV+ as a network device, but that's it.

On either box, I can specify any existing ReadyNAS share as the archive base folder, but attempting to specify the new share results in the dreaded 'Enter network credentials' dialog. 

On the win10 box that can 'see' the shares, I can double-click on any existing share and view the contents of the share.  However, doing the same thing with the new share results in the same  'Enter network credentials' dialog.  I have a windows credential set up with a username and password, but AFAICT, this has no effect on anything.

Using the RAIDiator4 web interface, I can see all the shares, and AFAICT, they are all configured identically.  All have default read/write access rights, and none of them have a password.  I also tried adding the network names of the two Win10 boxes to the 'hosts allowed access' dialog in the CIFS tab for the new share, but this had no effect either.

I'm at a loss for how to proceed - any thoughts as to how I can gain access to my new ReadyNAS NV+ share?

In the attached screenshot  'NewXPS15' is the new share

TIA,

Frank

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Great to hear that it's all working, so thx for following up.  I'm glad I was able to help.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Does the owner and group listed on the "advanced" tab for the share match the others?

What happens if you open CMD on the PC and enter

net use * /delete /y

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\NewXPS15 /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the actual IP address and password of course.  Be careful on the spaces and slash directions.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  The second attempts to map the new share as drive letter T using the NAS admin credentials.

Message 2 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the "owner" and "group" entries for the new share are the same. The "owner" in this case is the name of the share (NewXPS15) and the group is 'nogroup'. All the other accessible shares are configured similarly.  See attached screenshot.  I have included below the results from the 'net use' commands you suggested (I edited the post to replace my actual password with '[password]').  The noted SMB connection was the one that connects my AJC Active Backup app to an existing share. This connection was accomplished using the AJC Backup 'Configuration Wizard' as I have done many times in the past. 

I did some research on 'error 5', but couldn't find anything helpful...

TIA,

Frank

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net  use * /delete /y
You have these remote connections:

\\192.168.1.203\xps15
Continuing will cancel the connections.

The command completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use t: \\192.168.1.203\NewXPS15 /user:admin [password]
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Try changing the owner to be "nobody", and then reset the permissions using the checkbox a bit further down that page.

Also, try the net use commands again, but this time use \\192.168.1.203\C for the second command. That should map the full data volume.  If that works, try navigating into the new share, and see if that is successful.

Message 4 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional hints:

changed owner for NewXPS15 to 'nobody', checked the 'Set ownership and permissions.... box, and clicked 'Apply'. Then I tried connecting to the share using AJC Backup and it failed with the same 'Enter Network Credentials' dialog.  Same thing using 'Net USE' command (with elevated privileges).

I then tried the NET USE command you suggested, as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use t: \\192.168.1.203\C /user:admin [password]
System error 1244 has occurred.

The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated.

Any other ideas?

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@paynterf123 wrote:

I then tried the NET USE command you suggested, as follows:

The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated.

Any other ideas?

Is the admin password still the default netgear1?  It won't work if unless the admin password was changed.

Did you precede that command with the net use * /delete /y ?  If not, then try again (starting with the delete).

Message 6 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Hi,

I didn't do the net use * /delete /y, so here's the re-try:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * /delete /y
You have these remote connections:

\\192.168.1.203\xps15
Continuing will cancel the connections.

The command completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I changed the admin password a long time ago ;-).

TIA,

Frank

Message 7 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Replace the password with an asterisk and it should prompt you for a password.  If you get an error message instead of the prompt, then it's a "visibility" problem of the NAS, not a password problem.  I'm not sure why that would be the case for just new shares, though.

Message 8 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Got the prompt, but entering the password produced the same result - error 1244

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * /delete /y
There are no entries in the list.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use t: \\192.168.1.203\C /user:admin *
Type the password for \\192.168.1.203\C:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

TIA,

Frank

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Do you get the same result if you don't run CMD with elevated privileges?

Have you tried rebooting the PC?

Message 10 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Rebooting doesn't change anything. Non-elevated cmd prompt doesn't change anything.

Possible additional clues:  I can use NET USE commands to map a drive letter to an existing share (in elevated or non-elevated mode), but when I try the exact same command with the new share, then I'm asked for a username and password.  So, *something* about the new share is different - but I have no clue what!

Some additional information.  In the past, I have not had a password on my Win10 laptop.  However, when I recently acquired a second Win 10 laptop and was attempting to move files across my LAN from old laptop to new one, I discovered (after another very lengthy slog through i-space) I had to have a password on both PC's in order to have them see each other across the network.  The existing shares were created from my old laptop when the laptop did not have a password, and the new share *may* (I can't remember for sure) have been created using the RAIDiator4 web interface on my laptop *after* having configured it to use a password.  I have no idea how the NAS could know or care that the client accessing the web interface has a different security configuration, but maybe there's a clue there?

Also, in the process of trying to get this thing to work, I have created/removed Windows credentials a couple of times, but this does not seem to have any effect - credentials or no credentials.

And lastly, I can perform the same NET USE commands from either of my Win 10 laptops and get exactly the same result; I can easily map a drive to an existing share without any indication needing a username or password, but as soon as I try to map a drive to the new share (created via the RAIDiator4 web interface), I am asked for username and password.

TIA,

Frank

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Shares are created in the web interface, and that has no knowledge of SMB credentials that might be stored in Windows. 

But if there are no credentials stored for the NAS in the PC, then the PC will present the windows username/password to the NAS when you access a share.  If that username matches a username of a NAS account, then that authentication would fail - and access would be denied even if the share allows anonymous access.  That doesn't explain why the old shares work but the new one fails.

Do you have any user accounts on the NAS?  Or is the only account on the NAS the NAS admin account?

Are the windows credentials you've been creating using the IP address of the NAS or it's hostname?  Since we've been testing with the IP address, then they should be using the IP address.

I am also wondering why you can't access the C volume with the NAS admin credentials.  That should work as long as the NAS admin password isn't netgear1.  Is it possible that your NAS is still using the old share security mode?

Message 12 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

No network or windows credentials exist anymore - I deleted them all.  No change

AFAIK, there is only one accound on the ReadyNAS, and that is the admin account, which does NOT have the default password.

Not sure about the 'old share security mode'. The 'share' radio button is selected, if that is what you mean - see the screenshot.  As far as I know, that is the selection I have been using all along

TIA,

Frank

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@paynterf123 wrote:

Not sure about the 'old share security mode'. The 'share' radio button is selected, if that is what you mean - see the screenshot.  As far as I know, that is the selection I have been using all along

Yes, that is the old share security mode.  It was deprecated a long time ago (and if you did a factory reset on your NAS, it would no longer appear).

That mode was deprecated because it wasn't behaving well with Windows.  I think your best option is to switch to user security mode.  Then create a user account in your NAS, and use those credentials in the two laptops.  There's a very old blog entry on how to do this here:  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xGM5O8Bnf58J:readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-t...

You might also try creating another share, and see if it also behaves the same way as the one you just created.

Message 14 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

OK, I followed your link to the procedure for changing from 'share' to 'user' security, and changed the owner/group for each share to admin/nogroup as specified. I also created a brand-new share called 'test'.

However, when I try to run the net use commands you suggested earlier, I'm still not being allowed access to my previous new share (newXPS15).  However, I *can* access all the other shares now, including the one that I just created (test).

Additionally, I can now select any share *except* 'newXPS15' as the archive base folder in AJC Active Backup, without getting the dreaded 'Enter network credentials' dialog (I still get that dialog when 'newXPS15' is selected).

So, it appears we are making some progress, thanks to your patience and persistance (and in spite of my ignorance)!

A couple of questions though

• How can my AJC Active Backup app access the ReadyNAS shares if it doesn't know the username/password?  It is clearly doing so, but I don't know why
  • How do (if they do at all) Win 10 network credentials play into this?
  • can I rename a share using the RAIDiator4 web interface, and still have everything work (obviously I'll have to use the new name in share access operations)
  • Can I safely delete the 'newXPS15' share?  
  • Any idea what happened to make 'newXPS15' share permanently inaccessible?

Regards, 

Frank

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@paynterf123 wrote:

OK, I followed your link to the procedure for changing from 'share' to 'user' security, and changed the owner/group for each share to admin/nogroup as specified. 

Good.  FWIW, nobody/nogroup will also work for that.  But there's no reason to change it from admin/nogroup.

@paynterf123 wrote:

However, when I try to run the net use commands you suggested earlier, I'm still not being allowed access to my previous new share (newXPS15).  However, I *can* access all the other shares now, including the one that I just created (test).

While we probably could sort this out, I suggest just deleting the share, and recreating it.  Since you haven't every been able to access it, it's empty, correct?  It is safe to delete.

@paynterf123 wrote:

Additionally, I can now select any share *except* 'newXPS15' as the archive base folder in AJC Active Backup, without getting the dreaded 'Enter network credentials' dialog

How can my AJC Active Backup app access the ReadyNAS shares if it doesn't know the username/password?  It is clearly doing so, but I don't know why

How do (if they do at all) Win 10 network credentials play into this?

I don't have any experience with AJC Backup (I use Acronis TrueImage myself).  But I can answer these more generally.

One aspect is that the default configuration of the NAS shares is to allow anonymous access (also called guest access).  This can allow Windows to access the NAS w/o credentials.  But Microsoft has tightened up on this in Windows 10, since there are fairly obvious security concerns.  So it is better to use a NAS username/password in the PC when accessing the NAS.  Even if guest access is working for you now, it is likely that it will become a problem down the road.

There are two ways to approach the username/password.  One is to create a NAS username/password that matches the username/password on the PC.  That works because the PC automatically will present the PC username/password to the NAS when there is no credential stored for it in the PC.  Of course when you update the PC password you need to also update the password on the NAS to match.  This method won't work in your NAS if you are using a Microsoft account in the PC, because the NAS can't handle @ in the username.

The second way is to use a different NAS username/password, and create a credential for it.  When you access the share, Windows will use that credential instead of using the PC username/password.  If you use both the hostname and the IP address to access the NAS, you'd need to set up one credential for each of those (as far as Windows goes, they are different machines).  That NAS username/password can be the same on all your PCs if you wish.  This method works even if you use a Microsoft account for the login.  

Even if you haven't explicitly created a credential in the credential manager, there could well be one in there that Windows has automatically stored.  When you tell windows to save a username/password for a network share, it will create a credential there.

As far as AJC backup goes, if Windows is already able to access the NAS shares, it can too.  If you were in a scenario where File Manager prompted you for username/password, then AJC backup would also prompt.

Message 16 of 18
paynterf123
Aspirant

Thank you for all your time and effort.  I now have my AJC Backup app on three win 10 PC's and they are are now connecting successfully to the ReadyNAS - yay!

FWIW, I was also able to delete and then recreate the 'NewXPS15' share, and that is now working properly as well.

Thanks again,

Frank

Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Great to hear that it's all working, so thx for following up.  I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements