× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't rebuild the volume on ReadyNAS NV+ v2

nigelivy
Aspirant

Can't rebuild the volume on ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Hello!

I'm having a problem with my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 in that I cannot restore to factory settings. I keep getting the error shown in the attached screenshot. I've tried taking all the drives out and testing them/cleaning them on windows using DiskPart, but still get this error when I choose "Factory reset" from the boot menu.

Anyone know what the problem is and what I can try?

Thanks,

Nigel

Message 1 of 5
nigelivy
Aspirant

Re: Can't rebuild the volume on ReadyNAS NV+ v2

I should mention that I'm trying to rebuild the volume with 4 x 6tb drives. 

Message 2 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@nigelivy

Welcome to the Community!

This is likely because of the drives not being supported by OS5. NV+ v2 can support up to 4TB drives while v1 up to 2TB only. Unfortunately, that is the limitation of the NV+v2. You may want to check the ReadyNAS HCL for compatible or tested drives.

HTH

Message 3 of 5
nigelivy
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.

I've found this Netgear SOOOOO unstable that if I can't get this thing stable and if it infact can't handle more than 4tb drives, I'll be chucking it out and replacing it with something else. I'm so frustrated. I'm fast loosing faith in Netgear NAS products.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS is 7-10 years old.  It was replaced by units runing OS6 about 7 years ago.  Perhaps you bought it used and don't realize that.  But blaming Netgear for failure to support drives of a size that was not available when the NAS was manufactured is unreasonable.  It is also a home NAS, not a business NAS, and few at that time needed huge amounts of space for home use.  The max drive space in the spec is 12TB, which is based on a RAID5 of 4x4TB.  There is only one 4TB drive on the compatibility list, though others certainly do work.  It may be possible to push the space beyond 12TB once a valid volume is created, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, you probably do need a new NAS if you need that kind of storage space.  If you purchased the NV+V2 new, then it has served you well and it's time to upgrade.  If you purchsed t used, you have learned a valuable lesson to do your homework regarding the capabilities and history of a product before you purchase.

If a new NAS is not a possibility, see if it can create a volume on just two of the 6TB drives.  If it does, try expanding that or creating a second volume (which would require you switch the unit to FlexRAID mode instead of XRAID).

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements