× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combining OLC with ELC?

hutchingsp
Aspirant

Combining OLC with ELC?

We're looking at using egnyte to provide file access to some remote offices and partners.

Our main site has a full Active Directory/vSphere setup so we are planning on having an ELC appliance there which will map AD users to egnyte users.

We've evaluated the ELC and it seems to do what we want for our main office, but it's a little more difficult to evaluate the ReadyNAS as we'd have to purchase one and right now it's a "what if" so we don't want to do that until we have to.

Our remote offices and partners are a mixture from one guy through to an office which may end up with quite a few people in it, with no connectivity back to our corporate LAN (they are more "partners/agents" than "employees") and none of their IT setup is within our control, but we do need to have access to a common data area.

For the single user scenario it seems pretty simple, mapped drive or personal local cloud.

For the slightly larger locations, what I want to confirm is that we can "mix" ELC and OLC appliances, so for a remote office we could pre-configure a ReadyNAS Pro with the correct IP details and with local users created on it, and map those users to an egnyte account and ship it out there?

Could we configure the ReadyNAS so that only the folder that relates to that office is downloaded and synchronised?

How does egnyte handle administrators of users on the ReadyNAS? In a remote office we may need someone there to be able to login to the ReadyNAS to add/remove users, who may need to be mapped to an egnyte account - but we don't want or need the people who can do this to be able to access/modify the entire egnyte account (an admin at our main site controls everything but an admin in Office A should not be able to choose to download Office B's data) - how does the ReadyNAS handle this please?

What happens when a large file (say a 2gb CAD model) is modified at either location? Is 2gb replicated from our main site, to the cloud, then down to the ReadyNAS, or is it an rsync style "delta" replication of just the blocks that have changed (this is obviously important because of time and bandwidth)?

Any feedback would be fantastic thanks.
Message 1 of 5
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Hi hutchingsp, please see response below in blue

hutchingsp wrote:
We're looking at using egnyte to provide file access to some remote offices and partners.

Our main site has a full Active Directory/vSphere setup so we are planning on having an ELC appliance there which will map AD users to egnyte users.

We've evaluated the ELC and it seems to do what we want for our main office, but it's a little more difficult to evaluate the ReadyNAS as we'd have to purchase one and right now it's a "what if" so we don't want to do that until we have to.

Our remote offices and partners are a mixture from one guy through to an office which may end up with quite a few people in it, with no connectivity back to our corporate LAN (they are more "partners/agents" than "employees") and none of their IT setup is within our control, but we do need to have access to a common data area.

For the single user scenario it seems pretty simple, mapped drive or personal local cloud.

For the slightly larger locations, what I want to confirm is that we can "mix" ELC and OLC appliances, so for a remote office we could pre-configure a ReadyNAS Pro with the correct IP details and with local users created on it, and map those users to an egnyte account and ship it out there?

Yes, this should work. A mix of OLC and ELC is supported and many existing customers use this combination.

Could we configure the ReadyNAS so that only the folder that relates to that office is downloaded and synchronised?

Yes. When you setup OLC on the ReadyNAS you can designate which folders to sync locally.

How does egnyte handle administrators of users on the ReadyNAS? In a remote office we may need someone there to be able to login to the ReadyNAS to add/remove users, who may need to be mapped to an egnyte account - but we don't want or need the people who can do this to be able to access/modify the entire egnyte account (an admin at our main site controls everything but an admin in Office A should not be able to choose to download Office B's data) - how does the ReadyNAS handle this please?

You can contact our support team for assistance during actual setup, but the admin for Egnyte and the admin for the NAS device are separate so you can easily achieve the scenario described.

What happens when a large file (say a 2gb CAD model) is modified at either location? Is 2gb replicated from our main site, to the cloud, then down to the ReadyNAS, or is it an rsync style "delta" replication of just the blocks that have changed (this is obviously important because of time and bandwidth)?

We only sync deltas so only the changed bytes will transmitted during file modifications.

Any feedback would be fantastic thanks.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you would like, I can set you up with one of our account managers to further assist you with the implementation process, just send me a PM with your contact info.

~ Johnny
Message 2 of 5
hutchingsp
Aspirant

Thanks Johnny, I think you've confirmed how I understood it to work, I just wasn't sure.

I have been dealing with one of your account managers when we did a trial, we're just at the point where we have to work out ourselves what we want to do as a business for this issue.

One thing I could do with clarifying is whether the ReadyNAS caches the egnyte administrator credentials? What I mean to say is:

"Office A" admin user logs into their NAS as admin to add/remove a user.

Would they, as a NAS admin (they wouldn't be told the Egnyte admin credentials), be able to go to the Egnyte section of the ReadyNAS and tell the Office A NAS to pull down the Office B folder on Egnyte, which they should not be able to access?

I just need to know so that I can plan out how we'd deal with adding/removing ReadyNAS users if it's not practical to have someone in that office have access to the NAS.
Message 3 of 5
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Egnyte admin credentials are required only during initial setup of OLC to configure Netgear NAS to Egnyte. Once the configuration is complete and users are mapped, NAS admin of "Office A" can manage the NAS box in that office. We don't cache Egnyte admin's credentials for accessing the NAS. The NAS admin also does not have access to the Egnyte Local Cloud data, only Egnyte users do.

The NAS admin controls the OLC application settings through http://NASIPADDRESS:8806 and can change the folders that the application syncs. So yes, the NETGEAR Admin can purposely sync Office B folder onto Office A NAS.

The NAS admin also controls who has access to the NAS device and is done through the user mapping, again available in http://NASIPADDRESS:8806.

~ Johnny
Message 4 of 5
gavind
Aspirant

Hi Operator. I was just checking up on this. Were you able to find any notes to set up egnyte here?
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements