× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Erase data on ReadyNAS Duo v1

PABu
Aspirant

Erase data on ReadyNAS Duo v1

Hi

I have a readyNAS Duo v1 with x2 2Tb discs in paired X-Raid. I have recently replaced a failed one with a refurbed disc which is itself now faulty and has to be returned to the seller for a refund. It has all my data on it. My question is can I remove the good disc of the pair from the enclosure, insert the faulty disc on its own and perform a factory reboot to erase all data on it? Then, if successful, remove the faulty disc, reinsert the good disc and continue using the NAS?. Will the reboot to factory settings safely erase all data on the faulty disc to be returned to the seller?

thanks.

Peter

Model: RND2120v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (2TB: 2 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Erase data on ReadyNAS Duo v1

A factory default won't actually erase the data.  Recovery software could find it.

There are tools (including some of the manufacturers' tools) for doing a secure erase of a drive on a PC with a USB dock.  Whether they will work depends on just how bad your bad drive is.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It's sufficient to use the erase disk feature of the vendor diags (WD's lifeguard or Seagate's Seatools).   In the case of SeaTools this is one of the "advanced tests" (I think it's called write zeros).  But you can use Lifeguard with Seagate disks.

You would need to connect it to a windows PC (either with SATA or with a USB adapter dock).  You might want to do that anyway in order to get the diagnostic code for the disk RMA.

Message 3 of 7
PABu
Aspirant

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I forgot to mention in my original post that I am a Mac user and the OS  version is El Capitan and Time Machine. From what you both say the  restore factory reboot will not safely clear data from the faulty drive. I have tried to use Mac OS Disc Utility to erase the disc but the NAS does not appear in the list.

peter

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@PABu wrote:

I have tried to use Mac OS Disc Utility to erase the disc but the NAS does not appear in the list.

This is after connecting the disk to the Mac with SATA or USB?  The Disc Utility can only operate on directly connected disks.

If it is directly connected, it is possible that the disk has completely failed (and is unreadable).  If that is the case, you won't be able to erase it (but no one else will be able to read it either).

Message 5 of 7
PABu
Aspirant

Ah, thank you StephenB for your reply. You may have guessed that I am not very advanced in my IT knowledge. I haven't tried to connect the NAS directly by USB in order to erase the disc using disc Utility. I will try and do that. Peter

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@PABu wrote:

Ah, thank you StephenB for your reply. You may have guessed that I am not very advanced in my IT knowledge. I haven't tried to connect the NAS directly by USB in order to erase the disc using disc Utility. I will try and do that. Peter

To be clear, you can't connect the NAS.  You have to remove the disks and attach them.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements