× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed Power Supply ReadyNAS NV+

RTSwiss1
Guide

Failed Power Supply ReadyNAS NV+

I feel a little like I'm in never never land.  I have a ReadyNAS NV+ that died.  I'm not even sure exactly when, because it is used primarily to back up another NAS device.  I could track down when I bought it, probably 5-7 years ago, but I have assumed it is out of warranty. I also assume the problem is a failed power supply.  This is the second (of three) ReadyNAS devices I own.  The PSU failed on the first about 4 years ago and Netgear was good enough to replace it even though out of warranty.  This time I just purchased a third party PSU (from OverTek, UK) that online comments suggested would work. 

Here's the first of several problems.  My particular device says it's a ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000 *V3*), S/N 23J5197P00884.   There are a couple of videos on the web devoted to replacing an NV+ power supply, and even instructions posted on the netgear site for replacing it.  But (1) those instructions cover RND4000 and RND4000 v2 -- they do NOT cover V3; and (2) the PSU in my V3 unit appears to differ from those in the posted instructions (it contains a power switch, whereas the PSU's in the netgear instructions and on my still functioning original NV+ with replaced power supply do not).  A search for replacing the PSU on an RND4000 V3 turns up nothing so far as I can tell.

Having spent the $130 on a replacement PSU, undeterred by those discrepancies, and hoping that the replacement power supply would work, I proceeded to remove the side plates, the retention plate for the fan, the fan, and everything that seemed to have anything to do with holding the PSU in place.  I simply cannot get the PSU to budge.  And, as I said, as far as I can tell from the netgear forums and netgear support the RND4000 v3 doesn't even exist.

Does anyone out there have any thought on what it will take to remove the (presumably) dead power supply from an RND4000 V3, and whether there is any reasonable prospect that the replacement I have purchased will work?

I'm including links to the Netgear instructions and the page specifying the models to which those instructinons apply; I have found nothing similiar for V3.  I'm also attaching for comparison a picture of my (incompletely) dissassembled V3, showing the difference in the back of the power supply, and the state it is in that appears to me to defy separating the PSU from the device itself. 

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone out there can offer. 

-- Ted

https://kb.netgear.com/21418/How-do-I-replace-the-stock-power-supply-on-the-ReadyNAS-NV-NV

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-COMMON/Replacing%20the%20PSU.pdf

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@RTSwiss1 wrote:

Here's the first of several problems.  My particular device says it's a ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000 *V3*), S/N 23J5197P00884.   There are a couple of videos on the web devoted to replacing an NV+ power supply, and even instructions posted on the netgear site for replacing it.  But (1) those instructions cover RND4000 and RND4000 v2 -- they do NOT cover V3; 

The v3 is a small hardware revision to the v1.  The convention on the rear/side labels was that the v1,v2,v3 refered to hardware revisions to the chassis, not the platform itself.  The arm-based v2 is actually distinguished by the -200 in it's part number (the v1 family uses -100).

@RTSwiss1 wrote:

I proceeded to remove the side plates, the retention plate for the fan, the fan, and everything that seemed to have anything to do with holding the PSU in place. I simply cannot get the PSU to budge. 

I recall mine was really hard to pull out when I replaced it. Unfortunately it was a while ago, so I don't recall exactly what I did. 

Note there is a screw under the warranty sticker - did you remove that?

Message 2 of 5
RTSwiss1
Guide

Stephen B --

Thanks.  I missed the screw under the warranty label.  That was the problem.  And the chassis configuration did differ slightly from what is illustrated in the posted instructions.  The replacement PS went in without a hitch, and though I haven't yet completely reassembled it I did power it up.  It booted normally. 

A couple of minor questions:  I didn't check the orientation of the fan when I removed it, but from the way it fits it looks like the label should be facing out.  Is that right? 

There is a fan at the end of the replacement PS near the front of the uinit.  Since the bottom is ventilated there I assume that should not be a problem. 

And I assume that the plastic air dam should be reinstalled.  Is that right?

In all events, thanks for the fast answer.  Much appreciated.

-- Ted

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I've never had the "V3" incarnation, but I've never needed to remove the fan from the backplate to disassemble an NV+.  But, yes, the label in on the rear side.

The air dam is to direct air into the power supply.  With the separate fan, you shouldn't need it.  In fact, I don't think there are any holes at the top of that replacement to direct air into.  The original NV has a power supply with a small (and annoyingly whiny) fan at the rear, and it has no air dam.

As for the switch, they are modifying a standard Flex ATX power supply, and apparently the one they have chose comes with a switch.

Message 4 of 5
RTSwiss1
Guide

Sandshark --

Thanks.  My removing the fan from the back plate was unnecessary.  Given the differerence in the chassis configuration I couldn't figure out quite which screws I had to remove.  And you're also correct that the replacement PSU is not ventilated on top like the one it replaces. 

Thanks again, to both you and StephenB.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements