× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help adding a OK disk with SMART warnings

DuBa
Aspirant

Help adding a OK disk with SMART warnings

I have a HDD that got the SMART Raw Read Error Rate value set to 148 and Multi Zone Error Rate set to 1 after removing it from a secure data overwrite device without disabling the port first. It is a Western Digital WD30EFRX with about 9 months on time, but out of warranty due to it beeing a unused spare HDD for a few years.

I have done extensive testing by connecting it to PC's, servers and devices and the drive is operating correctly with no errors. I have checked it with WD's tool and it shows as OK. The Status / Health in the admin interface of the ReadyNAS 2100 v2 menu shows the drive as OK, but when connecting it to the ReadyNAS the log after a while shows "Newly added disk has failed SMART test. Please check disk 4.". I have however not found a way to clear this warning in the log and so it will not add the HDD to the volume.

I do not want to throw the disk out as it is working fine. There is currently no data on the NAS while I'm working on this.

Any ideas?

SMART Attribute

Raw Read Error Rate148
Spin Up Time6008
Start Stop Count18
Reallocated Sector Count0
Seek Error Rate0
Power On Hours6579
Spin Retry Count0
Calibration Retry Count0
Power Cycle Count18
Power-Off Retract Count10
Load Cycle Count87
Temperature Celsius27
Reallocated Event Count0
Current Pending Sector0
Offline Uncorrectable0
UDMA CRC Error Count0
Multi Zone Error Rate1

ATA Error Count0
Model: RNRX4000v2|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Help adding a OK disk with SMART warnings

A SMART test isn't just reading SMART stats. If the disk is failing the SMART test then you shouldn't use the disk.

As you have the 2100 v2 (I assume that's what shows on the homepage of Frontview) and you have no data on the unit you might wish to consider putting OS6 on the unit.

The 2100 v2 can run OS6 (though unsupported) whereas the v1 cannot as the v1 has a 32-bit x86 CPU.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
mdgm
Virtuoso

A SMART test isn't just reading SMART stats. If the disk is failing the SMART test then you shouldn't use the disk.

As you have the 2100 v2 (I assume that's what shows on the homepage of Frontview) and you have no data on the unit you might wish to consider putting OS6 on the unit.

The 2100 v2 can run OS6 (though unsupported) whereas the v1 cannot as the v1 has a 32-bit x86 CPU.

Message 2 of 7
DuBa
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Well, the SMART status of the drive is OK and these parameters are generally not considered critical so this HDD should be fine to use for non-critical storage. If only ReadyNAS would let me. If it was increasing reallocated sectors counts or something like that, it would be a completely different thing.

But OS6 sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe that would work. I'll give it a try unless someone here thinks otherwise.

Message 3 of 7
DuBa
Aspirant

I upgraded to OS6 and so far it looks really good. It is currently syncing. It seems OS6 have better handling of SMART.

I will update here when the sync is completed and I have done some tests.

Message 4 of 7
DuBa
Aspirant

Well, OS6 was the solution to the SMART-issue, but it introduced instability. The NAS becomes unresponsive if it is doing more than just simple file shares, like a backup job, and requires power cycling. Maybe it is a low RAM issue, so I'll see if I have some suitable spare RAM modules.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@DuBa wrote:

Maybe it is a low RAM issue, so I'll see if I have some suitable spare RAM modules.

Originally 1 GB was enough, but the memory footprint as grown over the years.  Several shipping NAS have 2 GB, so add at least one 1 GB. 

I don't recall seeing much here on upgrading RAM in the 2100v2.  With legacy desktop models, compatible 4 GB DDR2 modules are both hard to find and expensive.  2 GB DDR2 works well and is much cheaper.

Message 6 of 7
DuBa
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@DuBa wrote:

Maybe it is a low RAM issue, so I'll see if I have some suitable spare RAM modules.

Originally 1 GB was enough, but the memory footprint as grown over the years.  Several shipping NAS have 2 GB, so add at least one 1 GB. 

I don't recall seeing much here on upgrading RAM in the 2100v2.  With legacy desktop models, compatible 4 GB DDR2 modules are both hard to find and expensive.  2 GB DDR2 works well and is much cheaper.

I had a couple compatible 4 GB modules in my old RAM box. That box have saved me many times. And now one more time. With 4 GB RAM the 2100v2 runs flawlessly.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements