× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Enable SMB2 on ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator 4.1.16

EdMig
Aspirant

How to Enable SMB2 on ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator 4.1.16

Hello,

I have an older ReadyNAS Duo device that I'm trying to setup using my Windows10 system and I'm having trouble mapping the share because the NAS is trying to run SMB1, but my Windows system requires SMB2 or later.  I've upgraded to the latest firmware and see other posts that it the NAS does support later SMB versions, but can't see how to enable it.  I'd prefer not to enable SMB1 on my Windows machine if possible.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to Enable SMB2 on ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator 4.1.16

Well, the simplest approach is to just enable the SMB1 client in the PC (or alternatively install the NFS client in the PC and enable it in the NAS).  In my opinion the security risks on a home network are small (though of course others might have different views on that).

There is a way to enable SMB2 in your Duo if you go in with ssh and set an experimental flag in the samba configuration.  Since it was an early implementation it might not be completely stable and might not perform well.  You might also need to re-set this flag from time to time, since the ReadyNAS application will re-write the configuration files when you add shares, etc.

This link says what to do (though it was written to a poster using 4.2 firmware, it also applies to 4.1): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Enable-SMB-2-on-ReadyNas-x86-v4-2-3...

Message 2 of 3
EdMig
Aspirant

Re: How to Enable SMB2 on ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator 4.1.16

Thanks very much.  I think you're right - much easier to enable SMB1 on my PC.

Cheers.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements