× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have a question about update legacy device (pro 4) to OS6

kamanwu
Aspirant

I have a question about update legacy device (pro 4) to OS6

I have a  legacy device (pro 4) currently running at 4.2.31.  I know os6 is NOT offically supported by netgear. 

I have read lots of posts in the fourm. I really want to update my device to os6, and basing on the posts, I think I know how to do it.

I just want to know what's the possible bad things (bugs which will never be fixed) I will get if I upgrade to OS6? (NO offical support is NOT a problem to me). 

Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
bedlam1
Prodigy

Since you are using OS6 on your pro4, would you please let me know which verison you are using? (the last version is: 6.9.5)

6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3)
Also, on the version you use, did you find any problems which you need manually fix it?  or everything works by default?

No problems

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

I just want to know what's the possible bad things (bugs which will never be fixed) I will get if I upgrade to OS6? 

OS 6 is the going forward software, so Netgear is continuing to add new features to it.

Bad outcomes (platform specific) that I've seen posted here are 

• Serial number corrupted in the eeprom, leading to loss of ReadyCloud.  Netgear mods have sometimes fixed this, even though support is not available.
  • Some users have found that temperatures are misreported or that fans are properly managed.  Not sure if that is currently happening (and if it is happening on stock fans).  But it could recur in some future release.
  • You might run out of memory at some point (but you can add memory to your pro-4).

The conversion can be reversed.

Message 2 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@kamanwu wrote:

I just want to know what's the possible bad things (bugs which will never be fixed) I will get if I upgrade to OS6? 

OS 6 is the going forward software, so Netgear is continuing to add new features to it.

Bad outcomes (platform specific) that I've seen posted here are 

• Serial number corrupted in the eeprom, leading to loss of ReadyCloud.  Netgear mods have sometimes fixed this, even though support is not available.
  • Some users have found that temperatures are misreported or that fans are properly managed.  Not sure if that is currently happening (and if it is happening on stock fans).  But it could recur in some future release.
  • You might run out of memory at some point (but you can add memory to your pro-4).

The conversion can be reversed.

Thank you very much.  

1st, For the ReadyCloud problem, I do NOT worry about it since I do not use it.

2nd, this is the most thing I am worried.  I do NOT want the fan run too much since the temperatures are misreported.  I saw someone report this problem at the very beiginning. But now it's 6.9 already.  Anyone can confirm it's NOT a problem anymore?  Or I have to upgrade and see?

3rd, By saying add more RAM, do you know what kind of ram Pro 4 supported?  ddr2 ONLY (no ddr3 ddr4)?, and 2*4G is OK? or have to use 2*2G?

Thanks again.   

Message 3 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

3rd, By saying add more RAM, do you know what kind of ram Pro 4 supported?  ddr2 ONLY (no ddr3 ddr4)?, and 2*4G is OK? or have to use 2*2G?

DDR2 only. 240 Pin 800 Mhz PC2 6400.

The stock RAM is 1x1GB.  You can go up to 2x4GB (at least you can in the Pro-6).  You should get reasonable performance with OS-6 even with 2x1GB (several currently shipping models have 2 GB of RAM).

@kamanwu wrote:
2nd, this is the most thing I am worried.  I do NOT want the fan run too much since the temperatures are misreported.  I saw someone report this problem at the very beiginning. But now it's 6.9 already.  Anyone can confirm it's NOT a problem anymore?  Or I have to upgrade and see?

My own Pro-6 is still running OS 4.2.x (it is a backup NAS, so until I need to expand the storage there's no reason to convert it).  Hopefully others will chime in on the current status with the Pro-4.  You might want to post the part number (should be on the rear of the chassis).  

But "upgrade and see" is probably the best way to be truly certain.  You can test the upgrade using a single scratch disk.  Be careful to label your disks by slot as you remove them. Install 4.2.x on the scratch disk, and then convert to OS 6.

If it goes well, install your old disks, do the factory reset, etc.  If not, then downgrade and reinsert your old disks in their original slots.

Message 4 of 22
bedlam1
Prodigy

I converted my Pro 4 to OS 6 several years ago and upgraded RAM to 4GB

The problems identified by @StephenB were not encountered, note that the Pro 4 as only one RAM slot

Message 5 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

Thank you very much.

Actually, I just opened my pro 4. there is only one RAM solt (laptop RAM, NOT desktop RAM).  I borrowed a 2G RAM from my old laptop.  It works fine.
So I think I will use 2G for now.

Since you are using OS6 on your pro4, would you please let me know which verison you are using? (the last version is: 6.9.5)
Also, on the version you use, did you find any problems which you need manually fix it?  or everything works by default?

Thanks again. 

@bedlam1 wrote:

I converted my Pro 4 to OS 6 several years ago and upgraded RAM to 4GB

The problems identified by @StephenB were not encountered, note that the Pro 4 as only one RAM slot

Message 6 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

I want to comfirm the steps in case I misunderstand something.

1, download premodified image.  I will downlaod from: https://mega.nz/#!qXZh1SJK!602JWVyfl--TliZCHiP2F5IjRvhH_MGms83mPqjD8xE

2, do firmware update like I do before by using the downloaded file

3, NAS will auto reboot and update to the new firmware (I just need wait)

Question 1:

Someone mentioned optional step: : R4toR6_Prep_Addon.bin (26 KB).  What's this step do?  What's the problem if I did NOT do this step?

Question 2:

I know everything on the system will be wiped off.  How about my RAID 1 disks?  I believe I will remove these disks before I do the updgread.  After that, if everything looks good, I just need put them back in order?  Can the OS6 still read these disks?  OR I need let OS6 format these disks (all data will be lost), and copy my backup data back to NAS after format? 

Message 7 of 22
bedlam1
Prodigy

6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3)

No problems

Message 8 of 22
bedlam1
Prodigy

I suggest you read this thread (it is for Pro 6) but equally applies to Pro 4

Upgrade Bios in particlar

LINK

Message 9 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

I have read the link you provided.  BUT the it did NOT mention where to download these files.

I read the post from here : https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...

one post mention: Optional (do before step 2 below): R4toR6_Prep_Addon.bin (26 KB)

the other post mention: Download PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin

I think they mention the same thing.  I just want to know why we need this addon, and why it is "OPTIONAL" ?

@bedlam1 wrote:

I suggest you read this thread (it is for Pro 6) but equally applies to Pro 4

Upgrade Bios in particlar

LINK

Message 10 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

R4toR6_Prep_Addon saves you an extra step of havng to do a factory default -- it does it on it's own.  And no, your plan to re-insert your old drives with data intact won't work.  You cannot re-use any of the internal drives without re-formatting them with OS6.

Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

Question 2:

I know everything on the system will be wiped off.  How about my RAID 1 disks?  I believe I will remove these disks before I do the updgread.  ... OR I need let OS6 format these disks (all data will be lost), and copy my backup data back to NAS after format? 

The system is installed on the hard drives, and the disks need to be reformatted.  OS-6 uses a different file system for the data volume (BTRFS instead of ext). So the data will be lost, and you will need to restore the data from backup.

@kamanwu wrote:

Question 1:

Someone mentioned optional step: : R4toR6_Prep_Addon.bin (26 KB).  What's this step do?  What's the problem if I did NOT do this step?

You could (optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  You'd install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.

Basic instructions for the conversion itself itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.4.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon/firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default. 

@bedlam1 wrote:

note that the Pro 4 as only one RAM slot

Thanks for clarifying that.  So the max memory would be 4 GB.

Message 12 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

I have updated to OS6.  Currently, I am coping my backup to NAS.

I met 2 problems.

1, I can create a new local user.  BUT this user do NOT have home shared forder.   I asked this question in a new post:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Create-a-new-local-account-How-to-c...

2, When I copy files from my windows machine to NAS.  the ssh connection will lost.  Also I cannot connect to NAS admin page via browser.  BUT the copy goes well.  As soon as the copy finished, I can ssh to NAS, and visit NAS admin page via browser.

If someone know how to solve these problems, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Message 13 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

Problem 1 has been solved.  Just need disable smb v1 client.

Still have Problem 2.

@kamanwu wrote:

I have updated to OS6.  Currently, I am coping my backup to NAS.

I met 2 problems.

1, I can create a new local user.  BUT this user do NOT have home shared forder.   I asked this question in a new post:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Create-a-new-local-account-How-to-c...

2, When I copy files from my windows machine to NAS.  the ssh connection will lost.  Also I cannot connect to NAS admin page via browser.  BUT the copy goes well.  As soon as the copy finished, I can ssh to NAS, and visit NAS admin page via browser.

If someone know how to solve these problems, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Message 14 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

That wasn't the problem - you just needed to be using the right credentials with the NAS.  Also, the home share is created the first time you access the NAS with SMB.  

So if you were to reenable the SMB v1 client, you'd still be seeing the home share. (though if you don't need SMB v1 you are better off without it).

@kamanwu wrote:

That is very bizarre.  Does this happen on short transfers, or only when there's a lot of copying?

Message 15 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

I am sure it's NOT credentials problem.  After I disable the V1 client, I can access the home folder without type credential (windows remember it).  BUT you are right, I tried enable the V1 client today.  I still can access the home folder now.

I have another windows 10 laptop, and have the exactly same situation.   CANNOT access the home folder with correct credentials.  After I disable V1 client, it works.

For problem 2, yes, it is werid.  It happens when I copy lots of files (say last 1 hour).  The connection will drop almost immediately (within less than 1 min).  BUT today, the problem does NOT happen any more.  The difference between today and yesterday is:  RAID1 sync finished last night.    Anyway, it's NOT a problem any more. 

Thanks for the help.

@StephenB wrote:

@kamanwu wrote:

That wasn't the problem - you just needed to be using the right credentials with the NAS.  Also, the home share is created the first time you access the NAS with SMB.  

So if you were to reenable the SMB v1 client, you'd still be seeing the home share. (though if you don't need SMB v1 you are better off without it).

@kamanwu wrote:

That is very bizarre.  Does this happen on short transfers, or only when there's a lot of copying?

Message 16 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

I am sure it's NOT credentials problem.  After I disable the V1 client, I can access the home folder without type credential (windows remember it).  BUT you are right, I tried enable the V1 client today.  I still can access the home folder now.

I have another windows 10 laptop, and have the exactly same situation.   CANNOT access the home folder with correct credentials.  After I disable V1 client, it works.

This is a new symptom for me, and it's not something I am seeing on my own Windows10 systems.  However, I have NAS admin credentials stored in the Windows Credential Manager (and I don't use the home folders anyway).

@kamanwu wrote:

It happens when I copy lots of files (say last 1 hour).  The connection will drop almost immediately (within less than 1 min).  BUT today, the problem does NOT happen any more.  The difference between today and yesterday is:  RAID1 sync finished last night.   

The sync process does put a significant load on the system.  Transfer speeds (and responsiveness of the admin UI) often gets very slow during a sync.  Obviously the connections shouldn't drop (particulary ssh).

There are some bugs with SMB in 6.9.4, which showed up for me when I copied folders from a PC between two NAS shares.  If you are running 6.9.4, then I suggest updating to 6.9.5 (manually installing from https://kb.netgear.com/000060500/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-9-5 ).  

Message 17 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

Everything is good now.  I do not plan to upgrade to 6.9.5 until I have to.

I saw the sources.list point to debian jessie.  Does that mean I could install any package as long as debian jessie supported?

Should I run apt-get upgrade by myself?

deb http://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.9.4 updates apps main

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie main
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

Message 18 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

apt-get upgrade is not recommended.  You could break somethng that's ReadyNAS unique.

Yes, you can install pretty much anything that will run on a headless Linux Jessie based Intel X64 system.  Just keep in mind that the OS partition, where apt-get install is going to put them, is of limited size.  This is especially important for anything that might create a large log or database file.

What you can do is install it, then create a directory for it in /apps (which is on the main data volume), copy the contents of the orignal install directory to the new one, then replace the original directory with a symbolic link to the new one.

Message 19 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

I have run apt-get upgrade before I saw your reply.  Hope I did not break anything.

If I do find something broken, Can I fix it by upgrade fireware (from 6.9.4 to 6.9.5)?  Or I need do factory reset?

I know the OS partition is very small.  So I did not install mysql use apt-get, instead, I use admin page and install as apps (addon, developer:poussion, version 1.0.1).

BUT I realized that it still save all data at /var/lib/mysql which is on OS partition.  I have to manually move the folder to my data partition.

If this is the case, why people not install from apt-get directly?  

@Sandshark wrote:

apt-get upgrade is not recommended.  You could break somethng that's ReadyNAS unique.

Yes, you can install pretty much anything that will run on a headless Linux Jessie based Intel X64 system.  Just keep in mind that the OS partition, where apt-get install is going to put them, is of limited size.  This is especially important for anything that might create a large log or database file.

What you can do is install it, then create a directory for it in /apps (which is on the main data volume), copy the contents of the orignal install directory to the new one, then replace the original directory with a symbolic link to the new one.

Message 20 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

I have run apt-get upgrade before I saw your reply.  Hope I did not break anything.

If I do find something broken, Can I fix it by upgrade fireware (from 6.9.4 to 6.9.5)?  Or I need do factory reset?

It depends on exactly what is broken. I'd try upgrading firmware (or overinstalling firmware) first, but there are cases where a factory reset is needed.

@kamanwu wrote:

BUT I realized that it still save all data at /var/lib/mysql which is on OS partition.  I have to manually move the folder to my data partition.

If this is the case, why people not install from apt-get directly?  

Almost all of the apps come from community members, and some of the app install scripts are better written than others.  IMO all apps should be written to install into /data/.apps.

One reason people don't install from apt-get directly is that many people have limited skills with linux, and prefer managing the apps through the web ui.  Another factor is that there is less risk of damaging the OS if you type something incorrectly.  

Note that there are some well-tested (and supported ) apps available at rnxtras.com - though there is a small cost.

Message 21 of 22
kamanwu
Aspirant

If I need extra kernel modules, I know I need compile it by myself from source code.

The question is:  Can I compile it on my laptop, can copy the  ko files to NAS? or I have to compile it on NAS?

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements