× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I read existing threads -> Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer...

xiandavis
Aspirant

I read existing threads -> Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer...

I am receiving 'Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings.' when attempting to connect to ReadyNas NV+ v1 via ethernet, running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. 

I read over the threads with this error and monkeyed around with IP addresses on my Mac, Front View, and my Router. I also looked at Keychain Access (what I assume is the equivalent to Windows Credential Manager) after reading similar threads.

I managed to access Front View and verified that the NAS is set to use DHCP, but it is only using the static IP 192.168.168.168. I changed the IP to be within range of the addresses of my router, then changed it back when it didn't change anything (used reset button to trigger OS reinstall). After 4 hours I realize this is beyond my scope and I could use help.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: I read existing threads -> Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer...

@xiandavis wrote:

I managed to access Front View and verified that the NAS is set to use DHCP, but it is only using the static IP 192.168.168.168. I changed the IP to be within range of the addresses of my router, then changed it back when it didn't change anything (used reset button to trigger OS reinstall). After 4 hours I realize this is beyond my scope and I could use help.

You do need an IP address within the range of your router (though it sounds like that might not be the whole issue).  Is the main issue happening with Finder?  Or with the browser?

Did you try rebooting the NAS and the router, and see if you end up with an appropriate IP address?

Another trick is to disconnect and then reconnect the ethernet cable - that should trigger the NAS to make a fresh DHCP request.

Message 2 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

Thank you for the fast reply, @StephenB--I was hoping you were still on these boards!

@StephenB wrote:

You do need an IP address within the range of your router (though it sounds like that might not be the whole issue).  Is the main issue happening with Finder?  Or with the browser?

Did you try rebooting the NAS and the router, and see if you end up with an appropriate IP address?

Another trick is to disconnect and then reconnect the ethernet cable - that should trigger the NAS to make a fresh DHCP request.

Well, the issue seems to be happening with both--in the Finder I wasn't able to connect even when both the NAS address and my MacBook address was in router address range; I was only able to access Front View when I changed my MacBook address to something within the 192.168.x.x NAS address range (having trouble remembering if that's when I had changed the router address to fall within the 192.168.x.x range as well).

I rebooted the NAS a number of times, and unplugged the router once. Also--I have a second NV+ that seems to be stuck on 192.168.168.168, and RAIDar gave me the same message about not being accessible from my Mac (with different ethernet cable). I will reboot one NV+ and the router together to see what happens.

Do you mean to disconnect/reconnect the ethernet while both the MacBook and NV+ are running? I can try that as well and report back. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:

Do you mean to disconnect/reconnect the ethernet while both the MacBook and NV+ are running? I can try that as well and report back. Thanks again!

Disconnect/reconnecting the ethernet when the NV+ is connected to the router (and configured to use DHCP).  The macbook doesn't act as a DHCP server.

But the fact that neither NAS is getting an IP address is making me suspect the router.

Message 4 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

I thought I should elaborate on my setup: My Mac is connected to the network/router via wifi and my Mac is connected to the NAS via ethernet--is it still advisable to disconnect the router from power? There is no physical connection between the Mac/NAS and the router.

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:  

I thought I should elaborate on my setup: My Mac is connected to the network/router via wifi and my Mac is connected to the NAS via ethernet--is it still advisable to disconnect the router from power? There is no physical connection between the Mac/NAS and the router.

No, rebooting the router isn't relevant in that case.

Can you ping the NAS IP address from terminal?  https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-do-a-ping-test-on-mac

Message 6 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

My Mac is DHCP connected with IP 169.x.x.x, Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

The Router is DHCP connected with IP 10.x.x.x, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

and NAS seemingly not using DHCP, stuck on IP 192.168.168.168

Apparently the NAS is not seen by the network at all? Terminal returned below after multiple RTOs:

52 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:

Apparently it's not seen by the network at all? 

Does RAIDar find it?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

If it does, then let us know what IP address it is seeing for the NAS.

Message 8 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

Yes, it indicates 192.168.168.168 as well (updated earlier post with IP addresses).

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:

Yes, it indicates 192.168.168.168 as well (updated earlier post with IP addresses).

Good.

Then check that the ethernet configuration on the Mac is set to use a compatible config.  For example

IP address:    192.168.168.100

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.168.168

If your router has also been reconfigured to use 192.168.168.x address, then either set it back to what it was before, or disable wifi on the Mac.  Otherwise,the Mac might use the wifi connection to try and reach the NAS.

Message 10 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

Ok—using phone now that the Mac can’t see internet after IP change, but it did connect to Front View (asked for admin/pass a couple of times, kind of odd).

UPDATE: I can access my files in Finder! Is there a way to force the NAS to use DHCP, so I don’t have to change MAC IP each time? Front View says it is using DHCP already, but stuck on 192.168.x.x
Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:
Ok—using phone now that the Mac can’t see internet after IP change, but it did connect to Front View (asked for admin/pass a couple of times, kind of odd).

UPDATE: I can access my files in Finder! Is there a way to force the NAS to use DHCP, so I don’t have to change MAC IP each time? Front View says it is using DHCP already, but stuck on 192.168.x.x

The NAS is using DHCP - the problem is that the Mac can't act as a DHCP server.

Why are you directly connecting the NAS to the Mac (and not the router)?

Message 12 of 14
xiandavis
Aspirant

Short answer: inexperience. I’ve really only used the NAS for backups, not really it’s intended purpose. I feel it’s probably too slow to be useful over the network. What IP settings do you recommend? Should only the router be set to use DHCP and the Mac should be static IP? If static IP, I assume I set it to within the IP range of the router as mentioned before?
Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@xiandavis wrote:
 What IP settings do you recommend? Should only the router be set to use DHCP and the Mac should be static IP? If static IP, I assume I set it to within the IP range of the router as mentioned before?

You have two optoins.

The first option is to connect the NAS to your router.  It should get a DHCP address from the router, and will be accessible over either ethernet or wifi.

The second option is to make sure your router is using a different address range from 192.168.168.x.  Then configure the ethernet IP settings on your mac as I described above.  Since the router's using a different address range, then you will be able to reach the internet when using the mac wifi.

The first option is simpler, and is what I recommend.

@xiandavis wrote:
I feel it’s probably too slow to be useful over the network.

Honestly that makes little sense.  It is an old/slow NAS.  But you are already reaching it over a network, and you should see the same speed with the NAS connected to your router.  If your wifi is old, then the wifi might be the limiting factor.  But the solution to that would be to connect the Mac to the router with ethernet.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements