× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installing apps fails after 6.9.3 update

Sledge1964
Aspirant

Installing apps fails after 6.9.3 update

Hi - I have a Readynas 102, recently updated to 6.9.3

Since then I can't install any apps - notably PLEX - but I believe that is a can of worms by itself.

But any app I try to install just says in the logs - can't be installed.

Tried installing manually via PUTTY, and I get E: Unable to locate package ... or E: Couldn't find any package by glob, E: Couldn't find any package by regex etc etc

Very frustrating.

Whereabouts to the deb app install files reside?  I read somewhere if you copy them to the correct folder, they should appear in your list of available apps.

That said - I still have the problem than nothing can be installed.

Logs files aren't incredibly helpful, they just say 'System: Cannot install application plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries.'

I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would definitely love to get PLEX going again - it used to work super - I deinstalled to install an update - but as stated - I can't install anything at the moment.

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Sledge

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Installing apps fails after 6.9.3 update

Hi @Sledger1964

ReadyNAS apps are supposed to install to /apps under the data volume but using apt grabs packages and does whatever packages says to do. So if the package says it will install to root, it will be installed unto the root folder. It really depends on the package on where it will install, that is why Community apps is Supported by the developer itself not by NETGEAR.

IMO, using apt might have contributed on the issue that is why doing a factory reset would be best. You may want to contact Support as well if you want them to check on your NAS, L3 support usually get's this resolved as well without Factory reset but you may have to purchase a Support contract if you don't have one.

Hope we have answered your inquiry and have helped you.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Sledge1964

Have you tried rebooting the NAS? Have you tired using a different browser when installing from the Admin page?

If you can send in the logs that would be great so we can check if there's any underlying issue.

Regards

Message 2 of 8
Sledge1964
Aspirant

Hi there

Tried all sorts of browsers - avast secure browser, mozilla firefox, Microsoft Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome etc etc - makes no difference.

I've sent th log files per email.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Message 3 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Sledger1964

Thanks on sending the logs, We checked and it seems that you have accessed the NAS through SSH have done commands. Also, you did # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade which is not actually a good idea since it updates the distribution already installed and likely cause problems on the NAS.

Data volume is also nearing 90%+ mark which is likely causing the issue as well since apps are installed on the Data volume. Your root also gets populated with Data which should not happen.

If you can get your data backed up so you can restart your NAS with a fresh setup by doing a Factory default IMO would be the best move here for a long term solution. Other way would be to free up space on Data and Root volume (You can contact Support for assistance on this or if there are users in the Community who can assist) would likely resolve the issue too but again, it would be best if you can get a fresh setup.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 4 of 8
Sledge1964
Aspirant

Yeah - I tried the apt-get commands under ssh as a last resort - I'd read on one of the forums that it had worked for someone else.

Didn't know what else to do.  

So the key is, make more room, try a factory reset.

Hmmmm.  Space will be the issue. I don't have anywhere I could do a backup that size,

Thanks though - at least I have a few other things to try/think about.

CHeers

Message 5 of 8
Sledge1964
Aspirant

Where do the app install files reside?

Also - is there a way to determine where they are installed, and, how to prevent them filling up the root partition?

Or have I done something fundamentally wrong?

Message 6 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Sledger1964

ReadyNAS apps are supposed to install to /apps under the data volume but using apt grabs packages and does whatever packages says to do. So if the package says it will install to root, it will be installed unto the root folder. It really depends on the package on where it will install, that is why Community apps is Supported by the developer itself not by NETGEAR.

IMO, using apt might have contributed on the issue that is why doing a factory reset would be best. You may want to contact Support as well if you want them to check on your NAS, L3 support usually get's this resolved as well without Factory reset but you may have to purchase a Support contract if you don't have one.

Hope we have answered your inquiry and have helped you.

Regards

Message 7 of 8
Sledge1964
Aspirant

is there a way to do a reinstall of the operating system without losing data?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements