× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with ReadyNAS Remote - connection can't be established

shachar
Aspirant

Issue with ReadyNAS Remote - connection can't be established

Hi, I have an issue with ReadyNAS Remote.

When I try to login I am getting the message:

"A connection to the server could not be established: this error may occur if you are on a network that uses a proxy server or if you have previously configured Leaf to use a proxy server and the proxy server has changed.
Would you like to configure ReadyNAS Remote to use a proxy to connect to the Internet?"

I have read through ALL the forums and tried ALL the suggested solutions but to no avail 😞

Here are the details:
I have a ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) which is running on sparc processor.

I installed RAIDar 4.3.8 on Windows 7 64bit and able to see the NAS (all the lights are green except the UPS which I don't have). I went through the Setup (after hitting the "setup" button in RAIDAR). I can open 'frontview' (although the browser warns that connection is not safe - probably due to certificate problems...) and login the /admin page and manage the NAS.
'frontview' reports that I have Raidiator 4.1.14 installed. I can check for update under 'system'->'update' and it says I already have the latest version.

I went to 'Services'->'Installed Add-ons' and it shows I have ReadyNAS Remote Add-on on the NAS with version 1.0.9.78.
I clicked 'Manage ReadyNAS Remote' and in the new windows that pops up I added a new user (this sent an email invitation which I used to create a user on https://remote.readynas.com.
I then added that user to the 'allowed' list.

I downloaded and installed ReadyNas Remote for Windows 1.6.5.23 (which appears to be the latest version).
When I input the user and password to ReadyNAS Remote, I get the "A connection to the server could not be established..." error.

When I click "Browse" in 'RAIDar' it opens the shares on the NAS and I can read and write files/folders there from my Windows 7 machine.

Tried:
- Changing the hostname on the NAS (using frontview) to all lowercase and all uppercase letters as some posts suggested this.
- Installed the 'Enable Root SSH Access' AddOn. I then logged into the NAS using Putty and examined all the configuration and tried to troubleshoot it there. The leafp2p log under /var/log/Leafp2p.log had some errors too. Could not figure out what they meant.
- Tried the troubleshooting steps from here: (ReadyNAS Remote could not connect to the ReadyNAS server (Sparc)( 2011)) http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19709/~/readynas-remote-could-not-connect-to-the-readynas-server-(sparc)(-2011)
- Tried the troubleshooting guide here:
http://www.readynas.com/download/remote/RNR_troublshooting_guide.pdf
- Tried the suggested solutions/workarounds by setting the Leaf adapter to a specific IP (5.0.0.3) and subnet to (255.0.0.0) and then disable and re-enable the adapter. No success.
- Tried upadting the RAIDiator to the latest version (even though I already had it, just in case...). After update it rebooted and all, but still the error remains when trying to log in ReadyNAS Remote.
- Turned off the windows firewall and tested again. Nada.
-Tried using 'procmon' on the readyNAS Remote process on Windwos to figure out what goes wrong and where. Nothing special there.
-Tried using wireshark to capture the traffic from the Leaf adapter, but it doesn't show up in the interfaces. Don't know why.
-Also tried some port forwarding on the router, but wasn't sure which ports to use (tried 6300). In the router security logs, I didn't recognize anything related to be reported as blocked. Maybe I missed something. Don't know...
-Tried other things which I can't remember right now.

More information:
On Windows, the installation log (install.log) from ReadyNAS Remote appears to have had some errors in it:
Adjusting network adapter (amd64)...
Parameters: /ip=5.0.0.3 /mask=255.255.255.255 /metric=9000.
Adapter was not initialized, Error: Quota violation

I enabled log on the ReadyNAS Remote, and when clicking Login after supplying user/password the log shows this (from "Start to connect to server onwards") then showing the dreaded message which is the subject of this (and other) post - (notice the "MessagesMap.InitWebServer exception Quota violation":
Initialize DB, Path: C:\Users\MyUser1\AppData\Local\ReadyNASRemote\hstorage.lfn
P2P initializing is finished.
Get default settings from explorer. In, time - 3/7/2015 10:58:10 PM
Get default settings from explorer. Out, time - 3/7/2015 10:58:17 PM
Proxy settings: httpaddr - , httpsaddr - , socks4addr - , socks5addr -
Start to connect to a server.
MessagesMap.InitWebServer exception Quota violation
Stopping main thread (Closing all readydrops)...
Stopping main thread (All readydrops were closed successfully)...
Stopping main thread (Closing all p2p connections)...
Waiting for to abort a working thread during 60 secs
Stopping main thread (All p2p connections were closed successfully)...
Stopping main thread (Disposing networks)...
Stopping main thread (Networks were disposed)...
Stopping main thread (Stopping p2p client manager)...
Waiting for to abort a working thread during 60 secs
Stopping p2p client manager...
Stopped p2p client manager.
Stopping main thread (p2p client manager is stopped)...

More info which might be relevant:
I have MI424-WR Rev. F wireless router (Verizon Fios)

Any kind of help or idea is much appreciated
Thanks,
Shudu
Message 1 of 11
itsjasper
Luminary

Re: Issue with ReadyNAS Remote - connection can't be establi

Pretty sure the limit on jumbo frames on those boxes was 7936.

Try disabling jumbo frames also, as well as setting to the 7936 figure.
Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Remote can't use jumbo frames at all (they won't reach the ReadyNAS server).
Message 3 of 11
shachar
Aspirant

Thanks for replying.

I am not sure what your answers mean...Where should I change/disable jumbo frames and how?

On my Windows 7, looking thru device manager at the properties of the adapters in the 'advanced' tab:

Leaf Networks Adapter:
MTU value is 1400

When right clicking this adapter in network connections, and selecting 'internet protocol version 4(tcpip/v4) -> properties -> advanced
the bottom has 'interface metric' set to 9000.
and for
'internet protocol version 6(tcpip/v6) -> properties -> advanced
there was 'automatic metric' check box checked but under the 'default gateways' there is one entry and it has 9000 as the metric.

I tried all sorts of combinations (automatic metric for all of these, 1500, 1400 etc) each time disabling and re-enabling the leaf adapter and trying to log in.
NO SUCESS :(. Maybe it has nothing to do with the problem, or I don't know what I am doing.

Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection:
Jumbo Packet: Disabled.

I am connected to the wireless network, so the adapter above is 'unplugged'

The wireless adapter does not seem to have a setting for the MTU or Jumbo frames/packet

On the NAS, from 'frontview' under 'network'->'interfaces' I can see that 'enable jumbo frames' option is not checked - meaning disabled.

Also on the NAS,
ifconfig gives:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:A2:01:E5:35
inet addr:192.168.1.9 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3751 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1686 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:550221 (537.3 KiB) TX bytes:1276689 (1.2 MiB)
Interrupt:41

Maybe I missed something here?
Thanks,
Shudu
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

shachar wrote:
Thanks for replying.

I am not sure what your answers mean...Where should I change/disable jumbo frames and how?

On my Windows 7, looking thru device manager at the properties of the adapters in the 'advanced' tab:

Leaf Networks Adapter:
MTU value is 1400

When right clicking this adapter in network connections, and selecting 'internet protocol version 4(tcpip/v4) -> properties -> advanced
the bottom has 'interface metric' set to 9000.
and for
'internet protocol version 6(tcpip/v6) -> properties -> advanced
there was 'automatic metric' check box checked but under the 'default gateways' there is one entry and it has 9000 as the metric.
Sorry for the confusion - as you say, inferface metric has nothing to do with jumbo frames. I think the value of 9000 invited us to jump to a wrong conclusion, MTU=1400 is reasonable for an encypted VPN adapter.
Message 5 of 11
shachar
Aspirant

Thanks Spethen,

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this further? I'm trying to understand what happens when I hit 'login' in ReadyNAS Remote...does it try to connect to the NAS directly? or through netgear servers?
what else can I do to find the problem? it seems to me that the error in ReadyNAS Remote log just when I hit 'login':
Start to connect to a server.
MessagesMap.InitWebServer exception Quota violation
is where the problem is. So what does it mean? which webserver...quota for what?

I remember reading this topic:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=68525&start=15

One of the last posts (by FrankAu) talks about using wireshark to capture the traffic and he concludes there is a problem in the Remote Software.

Thanks,
Shudu.

Maybe this has something to do with the quota thing...?
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I think Netgear will need to help. Perhaps PM skywalker, and see if they want to look into it.
Message 7 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Hopefully this should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2404366/
Message 8 of 11
shachar
Aspirant

Hi,
Thanks for the reply Skywalker. I really appreciate that. My issue is now solved however I am not sure what was the solution. It kind of started working all of the sudden.

So to update:
Before reading the reply and checking the link provided(MS KB Article), I tried to do everything from the beginning. I did a factory reset on the NAS and tried everything all over again (reinstalling everything related) according to what I know so far.
I ended up with the same result as before and was unable to connect with ReadyNAS Remote.

I then tried installing ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyCloud android apps on my smart phone and tried to connect. With the user name I created I was able to connect but was not seeing any of the shares, only my NAS hostname.

I created another user (under a different email address) and sent the invite. Completed the registration for this user on the netgear site. and tried the android apps to connect to my NAS. This time it worked!!
I tried with this new user on the Windows 7 laptop and it connected and it all worked fine.
I then deleted the previous user and recreated it and now everything works.

*NOTES*
I DID NOT use the instructions in the link specified (the Microsoft KB article) and by the way, the article is not clear enough as it should specify the 'Memory per host' as the attribute that needs changing I believe.
I might have rebooted my laptop before it all started working, although I am not sure. It might or might not be related but I'm just mentioning it.

Thanks everyone for all their support and good will.

Since I tried a lot of different things to make it work, I saw all kinds of different suggestions to solutions for problems related to the ReadyNAS remote. So, if anyone else is experiencing problems, I'll be happy to share all that I've tried. Either PM me or reply to this post.

Thanks
Message 9 of 11
kurir
Aspirant

ReadyCloud not working with my readynas pro

Problem with Readycloud

Hi, I was going to try out readycloud app for pc. I had the previous readynas remote installed and it worked perfect. I was not aware the REadyCloud without warning removed ReadynasREmote, so now I have ony ReadyCloud and it is not detecting my Readynas pro. Can anyone help on this issue?

And I am not able to download readynas remote anymore - I am only directed to af readycloud website which is not working for me.

Thanks
Message 10 of 11
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyCloud not working with my readynas pro

kurir wrote:
And I am not able to download readynas remote anymore - I am only directed to af readycloud website which is not working for me.

ReadyCloud Client App replaces the ReadyNAS Remote Desktop Client software. However, you can download the latest versions of ReadyNAS Remote Desktop software before the ReadyCloud Client came out on these links below:

Windows: http://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdg ... 6.5.23.exe

Mac: http://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdg ... 1.2.15.pkg
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements