× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mac TimeMachine and Os4toOs6 upgrade on Pro 6

blue-scouser
Aspirant

Mac TimeMachine and Os4toOs6 upgrade on Pro 6

I have hit the 8Tb ceiling on my 0s4 Pro 6 and I am about to take the step and upgrade to OS6.

A couple of questions.

When I backup/restore ss the /c directory structure the same on the new Os6 install?

Will my Time machine backups still be usable?

Thanks in advance

Model: Time Machine|Backup your files on your Mac
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Mac TimeMachine and Os4toOs6 upgrade on Pro 6

@blue-scouser wrote:

When I backup/restore ss the /c directory structure the same on the new Os6 install?

Well, you will need to recreate your users and shares before you restore the data.  The default shares aren't all the same - but you can delete them, and create new ones.  If you use the "home" share feature, you will need to access the NAS using SMB with each user's credentials in order to trigger the creation of the home share for that user.

With OS 4 the data volumes are always called C, D, ...

With OS 6, the default name is "data".  That is hard-wired for XRAID, but with FlexRAID you can set it when you create the volume.  It can't be changed after that.  So if you have a share called "data" on your Pro, then you should name it something else when you configure it on OS 6.

@blue-scouser wrote:

Will my Time machine backups still be usable?

You will lose your time machine backups (since the disks are completely reformatted).  I'm not a Mac user - it's possible there is a way to migrate them.  But it would require somehow copying them to external storage, and then restoring them after the migration.  Hopefully Mac users who've done this conversion will chime in.

Message 2 of 4
blue-scouser
Aspirant

Thanks StephanB,

I am presuming that when I backup the entire C drive on my current OS4 setup, then I will be able to put the TimeMachine backups back in place by restoring them from the backups. My concern is if the path to them changes, will Timemachine have problems with them having different pathnames.

This all came about when I went to insert the 2nd of 2 new WD Red 4Tb drives I bought. The first went great. Took along time but did the job. But this then resulted in just in 8Tb XRAID-2. When I added the 2nd 4Tb drive it finished but complained that it could not expand it. Further research, I learned about the 8TB limit. My setup is all bays are filled:

1: 1TB

2: 1TB

3: 4TB

4: 3TB

5: 3TB

6: 4TB

They are in that order simply based on how I have replaced drives in the past. When I go to Os6, will I be able to re-rder these drives befire the install? In fact, does it matter which order they are in, maybe I could just leave them as they are?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@blue-scouser wrote:

I am presuming that when I backup the entire C drive on my current OS4 setup, then I will be able to put the TimeMachine backups back in place by restoring them from the backups.

I'm not a Mac user, but my understanding is that it might not be that simple.

@blue-scouser wrote:

1: 1TB

2: 1TB

3: 4TB

4: 3TB

5: 3TB

6: 4TB

When I go to Os6, will I be able to re-rder these drives befire the install? In fact, does it matter which order they are in, maybe I could just leave them as they are?

You can re-order them before you convert to OS6, but the order doesn't matter as far as the RAID is concerned.  There could be a small advantage in putting the newest disk in slot 1 (as the system will try to boot from that disk if it is present).

If you do re-order, power down the NAS first.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements