× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mail server add-on for ReadyNAS?

KazMax
Aspirant

Re: Mail server add-on for ReadyNAS?

I'd be up for the ReadyNas Duo supporting a fairly simple mail server as well. I have a standard Windows server running 24x7 for that purpose currently, but it's power requirements being about 500w means that I have the equivalent of a small electric fire running up the electrickery bill. Whereas if this were possible with the ReadyNas then it would cut the electrickery consumption significantly.

It's not that I'm a tightwad, but one has to think about those ickle electrons buzzing around feeding on the greenery.
Message 26 of 36
michaelxy
Aspirant

I think we have to buy other product than from Netgear, because the support und the community is not good and unable to show a solution.
Message 27 of 36
FrankB2
Aspirant

Fandaor wrote:
I would be too interested in having a email server on the NV+ :
I have 3 comps I run at home, and nothing bothers me more than having to turn the one that has the mails because I forgot some info.
I would love to have the possibility to be able to retrieve & store my mails on the NAS and then thru push or whatever, just be able to read them from any of my computers (got Windows, Android and OSX...).
Do you think there might exist a solution to have a daemon running on the NV+ that retrieves the mail and store them on a temp file, while having a client on a computer that would allow me to read them & organize them ?

Fandaor

As this discussion is already a bit dated I was wondering if there is now a good way of running mail from the NAS to be able get to your emails from all pc´s in your network.
I was thinking myself to install ThunderbirdPortable on the NAS. That does the trick in a bit different way as is suggested in this discussion I think ?
Message 28 of 36
michaelxy
Aspirant

Message 29 of 36
FrankB2
Aspirant

A server on the NAS with a standard open port is indeed not very attrtractive. But are there any other good alternatives to run mail centrally from your NAS ?
I just installed the thunderbird portable version and run that over a 1Gbit network connection ans this is so slooooowwwww........
Message 30 of 36
vuilverwerking1
Aspirant

Please go back to the main question in this topic.
> Is there a mail server add-in?
Everyone is talking about security etc. but thats not the main question.
For Business users there is a option to put the Mail Server behind a Fire/Spam/Virus/Mallware-Wall.
Message 31 of 36
JarnoG
Guide

back on topic:
I would really like to run a (simple) mailserver on my readynas too.
Message 32 of 36
Progressed
Aspirant

well... this is intresting... im not the only one 🙂

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54830

I'm looking for an alternative for Micorsoft Exchange.. and this is the closest FREE alternative... but i need help! I never did this stuff on a linux build (building addons etc)... But i do want to try it.. .with the help of a addon-guru.
Message 33 of 36
kdannath
Aspirant

Has Some one been able to get ist working?

And why has Netgear not responded to the whide request amongst the NAS user's?

Performance issues?
Message 34 of 36
mfe_
Tutor

I tired to compile Zarafa (community editon) on the readynas duo but i get stuck.

catdoc-0.94.2 compilieable
libical-0.44 compileable
libvmime-0.7.1 breaks on

./configure --host='sparc-linux' --prefix=/c/apps/
[...]
checking for iconv... yes
checking how to link with libiconv... -liconv
checking for iconv declaration... install-shextern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking if an usable version of iconv exists (required)... yes
checking if linker supports global constructors... libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'
/backup/zarafa/libvmime-0.9.2/.libs/lt-mytest: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
no
configure: error:
===================================================================
ERROR: This platform lacks support of construction of global
objects in shared libraries.

See ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/g++-FAQ/plain
for details about this problem. Also for possible solutions
http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~fp/Tcl/tcl-c++/tcl-c++.html
===================================================================
fes-a120d19nas:/backup/zarafa/libvmime-0.9.2# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.3.6
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

http://forums.zarafa.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8140

zarafa-7.0.3 dependency exists

Maybe someone else trie?

http://www.zarafa.com/wiki/index.php/Co ... pendencies
Zarafa exists on other NAS solutions
http://www.zarafa.com/news/8-march-2012 ... logy%C2%AE
Message 35 of 36
DeeCee52
Aspirant

Just to add numbers to the request, I too would like a relatively simple solution to pull down emails from the ISP and servce locally via IMAP.

Message 36 of 36
Discussion stats
Announcements