× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Managing Readynas Ultra 4 with ssh

dbrewe
Aspirant

Managing Readynas Ultra 4 with ssh

I have an Ultra 4 w/ raidiator 4.something that will no longer communicate with modern browsers. I don't plan to keep this unit operating for very long, but while I am using it, I would like to perform some tasks like turning backup jobs on and off, removing email addresses from those getting alerts, turning off certain alerts, etc. Is it possible to do any significant management thru ssh?

thanks

db

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Managing Readynas Ultra 4 with ssh

@dbrewe wrote:

Hi, thanks for the detailed suggestions! Unfortunately I'm in an environment where I'm not allowed to regress to TLS 1.0, or install any browsers that get around restrictions.

Awkward.  You could pursue whether an exception could be made for the 10-15 minutes it would take to install the needed add-on.

If ssh isn't already enabled, then you are stuck anyway, since you need access to Frontview to enable it. 

If it is enabled, you could first patch virtual.conf to allow http management, and then install the add-on.  Afterwards, you could undo the patch.  Of course that might also violate your rules. 

It should also be possible to install the add-on directly from ssh.  You could reach out to the author via his github here: https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/tree/main/apache2/x86  Someone else here might also know how to do that (it's not something I've done myself).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dbrewe wrote:

I have an Ultra 4 w/ raidiator 4.something that will no longer communicate with modern browsers.

You can temporarily get in with 

• telling current FireFox to allow TLS 1.0
  • temporarily installing FireFox 94.0.2
  • using Edge in internet support mode
  • using Internet Explorer

Once in, install this add-on

That will enable TLS 1.2, so any browser will be able to access the NAS.  Which would be better than trying to use ssh for those tasks.

Another option is to convert the Ultra to OS-6 - that would also add in more features, including SMB 3 support. 

More info on this issue is here:

Message 2 of 6
dbrewe
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the detailed suggestions! Unfortunately I'm in an environment where I'm not allowed to regress to TLS 1.0, or install any browsers that get around restrictions. And I would consider upgrading the OS except that the unit is in use basically 24/7 until we have a chance to get its function transferred to a new server. Honestly the main motivation I have is that there are alerts about conditions that aren't high priority, just annoying. Plus curiosity.

thanks tho. 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@dbrewe wrote:

Hi, thanks for the detailed suggestions! Unfortunately I'm in an environment where I'm not allowed to regress to TLS 1.0, or install any browsers that get around restrictions.

Awkward.  You could pursue whether an exception could be made for the 10-15 minutes it would take to install the needed add-on.

If ssh isn't already enabled, then you are stuck anyway, since you need access to Frontview to enable it. 

If it is enabled, you could first patch virtual.conf to allow http management, and then install the add-on.  Afterwards, you could undo the patch.  Of course that might also violate your rules. 

It should also be possible to install the add-on directly from ssh.  You could reach out to the author via his github here: https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/tree/main/apache2/x86  Someone else here might also know how to do that (it's not something I've done myself).

Message 4 of 6
dbrewe
Aspirant

Thanks again. It turns out there is a way to install the add-on by ssh, and it's spelled out on the github readme at the url you sent me to. I'm thinking this would be a more involved and possibly riskier proposition than I would like to get into (as I mentioned I need the device for now). By the time I'd finish entering all the commands we'll probably be ready to retire it. 😊 So I think I'm calling it a day and leaving well enough alone. Maybe after we take it out of service I'll try it just for curiosity sake. And maybe we can re-purpose it. I do appreciate the info. Maybe it will be useful to another user. 

thanks and regards

db

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The Ultra can be converted to OS6.  But you lose your data doing so.  So, you'd have to back up all your data via SSH before you do the conversion.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements