× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Microsoft plans to add support for exFAT to the Linux kernel

Denis1
Tutor

Microsoft plans to add support for exFAT to the Linux kernel

Does that mean anything to us who use Readynas

Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I made a suggestion about adding EXFAT to the ReadyNAS quite some time ago, and it was pointed out that the licensing was not inexpensive.  With Microsoft releasing it freely for Linux, then I would expect ReadyNAS OS to include it, at least as soon as it is updated to a kernel version that has it.

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

With Microsoft releasing it freely for Linux, then I would expect ReadyNAS OS to include it, at least as soon as it is updated to a kernel version that has it.

... which would allow it to be used on USB drives

Message 3 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

What would that add over and above say NTFS

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

What would that add over and above say NTFS

NTFS is read-only if you have a Mac (unless you purchase third-party software). 

ExFAT is read/write - and supports larger drives and files than FAT32.

Message 5 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

Oh OK thanks @StephenB 

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Can't see any indications that this allows "free" usage on commercial Linux systems. Before this annoucement, there were 3rd party exFAT implementations available - but Microsoft required license fees.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Can't see any indications that this allows "free" usage on commercial Linux systems. Before this annoucement, there were 3rd party exFAT implementations available - but Microsoft required license fees.

I don't think the Linux Foundation will accept code for the linux kernel that requires paid licenses.  Could be wrong about that - I haven't researched details on how they handle IP.

Message 8 of 9
Denis1
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

I don't think the Linux Foundation will accept code for the linux kernel that requires paid licenses.  Could be wrong about that - I haven't researched details on how they handle IP.

From what I seen it's a legal now.

"But patent issues have prevented these ‘workaround’ solutions from shipping as part of the regular Linux kernel, out of the box, ready to go.

Today that changes.

Microsoft engineer John Gossman, in a post on the Microsoft open source blog, has announced that “Microsoft is supporting the addition of Microsoft’s exFAT technology to the Linux kernel.”

This is huge news because it means, for the first time, the Linux kernel can include exFAT support “with confidence”, Microsoft say — i.e., no-one is gonna get sued; not kernel devs, not distros shipping patches that enable to exFAT, not anyone.

Microsoft has even made a technical specification for exFAT publicly available. This, it says, this will help developers create “conformant, interoperable implementations” of exFAT within the Linux kernel.

It’s hoped Linux exFAT support will filter down into the Open Invention Network’s Linux System Definition. There, Gossman says, ‘the code will benefit from the defensive patent commitments of OIN’s 3040+ members and licensees’."

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements