× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrate from Egnyte to ReadyCloud

Chris_Dwyer
Aspirant

Migrate from Egnyte to ReadyCloud

Hi All,
We have a RN314 synched with Egnyte using Egnyte Local Cloud.
Our need for Egnyte has reduced to a point where we really only need to be able to access our files occasionally when not in the office and have an offsite copy of data in case the NAS is stolen, lost. etc.

We plan to move from Egnyte to Readycloud. Is there any advice in what to do / not to do when attempting this?

Thanks
Chris
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrate from Egnyte to ReadyCloud

Is your NAS currently synced to your AD?

How many users are we talking about?

Is your upload speed at the office good?
Message 2 of 8
Chris_Dwyer
Aspirant

Hi MDGM,

Our Nas is not synched to an AD. Access / priv are managed by Local cloud settings and NAS settings.

We only have around 7 users spread across 5 access groups

Upload is not too bad. I will set it up initially to happen over a weekend.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think it should work fairly smoothly.

One of the key advantages of Egnyte is that you get fast speeds from their servers. If your upload is good at your office then hopefully you will still get good speeds.

As for the off-site copy you could get a second ReadyNAS and use ReadyNAS Replicate.
Message 4 of 8
Chris_Dwyer
Aspirant

Thanks for this.

Just so I understand, Ready cloud only lets you in to see your NAS from anywhere. Is that correct? Netgear do not host a copy of your data for you?

An offsite copy is achieved by synching your data to another NAS kept somewhere else using Readynas replicate. Is that correct?

Regards,
Chris.
Message 5 of 8
Chris_Dwyer
Aspirant

Actually I have just noticed that it seems you need to have a Pro Series product to use ReadyNas Replicate. Is that correct?
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Chris Dwyer wrote:
Actually I have just noticed that it seems you need to have a Pro Series product to use ReadyNas Replicate. Is that correct?
No. It's supported on all OS6 devices (and all OS6 devices include a free license). http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... licate.pdf
Message 7 of 8
HariKrishnan
Aspirant

Hi Chris,
There are several nuances in choosing between the ReadyCloud and Egnyte Storage Sync as has been pointed out in the above posts. Egnyte app keeps two copies of the files: one in the cloud and another in the ReadyNAS device. These copies are kept in sync, so when the ReadyNAS device is not accessible for some reason, users can reach the cloud for business continuity. Whereas ReadyCloud is a private cloud solution and keeps just one copy of the files that can be accessed from participating end-points. ReadyCloud works great for specific set of use-cases involving small number of users and files or when users just want a private cloud with few participating ReadyNAS devices. Another important nuance is the total number of files that can be shared, file-versioning scheme, centralized user and data management and data retention capabilities (Trash) that Egnyte offers over ReadyCloud. Let me know if you need more details about the nuances.
Cheers,
Hari
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements