× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing /bin folder (ReadyNAS 600 Pro+ RNDP600U)

RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Missing /bin folder (ReadyNAS 600 Pro+ RNDP600U)

While connected via ssh and performing an rsync backup I managed to delete the /bin folder on from the device rather than from the external HDD, however the copy on the external HDD is available.

How can I copy get a copy of the /bin folder back onto the device.

Notes:

1. The external HDD is connected to one of the USB ports on the rear of the device
  2. I have ssh sessions open on as root, 2 from a Windows 10 station, and one from a linux box running linuxlite 3.8 
Model: RNDP600U (ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus)|READYNAS ULTRA PLUS 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Re: Missing /bin folder (ReadyNAS 600 Pro+ RNDP600U)

Performing the OS reinstall from the boot menu worked, now the admin menu is reporting a drive in predictive failure (it wasn't before and I only knew via email alert). My understanding it that the drive is hot swappable, please correct me if I am wrong as I do have a replacement on hand.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You could of course copy the files with the cp command (or use rsync in the reverse direction).

Message 2 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Currently the ssh prompt is at the external HDD, so the correct command to execute is?

"cp -a ./bin/. /"

Message 3 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Apparently the not all the contents of the /bin/ were copied over to the external hdd as originally thought, there were only links:

lrwxrwxrwx     ed

lrwxrwxrwx     ip

lrwxrwxrwx     ipaddr

lrwxrwxrwx     iplink

lrwxrwxrwx     iproute

lrwxrwxrwx     iprule

lrwxrwxrwx     iptunnel

lrwxrwxrwx     lsmod.modutils

lrwxrwxrwx     lspci

lrwxrwxrwx     mt

lrwxrwxrwx     pidof

lrwxrwxrwx     rbash

lrwxrwxrwx     setpci

lrwxrwxrwx     sh

lrwxrwxrwx     usleep

lrwxrwxrwx     vi

Suppose the only thing to do now is:

• factory reset the unit
  • reconfigure it
  • restore all the data

Mistakes were made, lesson learned...

Message 4 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try

# touch /.os_update

or

# echo > /.os_update

Then reboot the NAS

Or do an OS Re-install using the boot menu. This should recreate the /bin folder.

Message 5 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Doesn't touch reside within the /bin/ folder or am I mistaken?

Message 6 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hmmm. Good point.

In that case you may need to use the boot menu to do an OS Re-install. Though depending how much the system is messed up doing a factory reset and restoring from backup may still be the best way forward.

Though you just need to do anything that creates the /.os_update file (it can be empty)

Even something like

1 > /.os_update

might work. It'd give an error but it'd probably still create the file.

Message 7 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Where is this file to reside, I would want to verify the file creation using:

rsync --list-only -v

I am assuming a reboot of the device would then be necessary to complete the process or will this happen or is tht not the case.

In the process of validting my backup copy to the external USB hdd before I loose the ability to mount devices.

Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The file would reside in / as indicated by the command I gave. It can be empty and will automatically get removed as part of the OS Re-install (to avoid triggering it again on each subsequent reboot).

The path for that file is deliberately pretty much as simple as it gets. We know that we should always be able to write to that location unless the root volume has somehow gone read-only or has some other equally serious problem.

Message 9 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Apologies, I should have known that. I am not a linux expert and doing my best, I am also as you can imagine tired/stressed, am very appreciative of your quick responses and assistance in helping me.

Message 10 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Verification of backup is complete.

Have since lost my SSH sessions due to an unexpected reboot and therefore unable to complete your request of generating the os_update file unless there is another way.

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RaymondBailey wrote:

Have since lost my SSH sessions due to an unexpected reboot and therefore unable to complete your request of generating the os_update file unless there is another way.

@mdgm-ntgr also suggested doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu, which should do the same thing.  Have you tried that?

Message 12 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

Performing the OS reinstall from the boot menu worked, now the admin menu is reporting a drive in predictive failure (it wasn't before and I only knew via email alert). My understanding it that the drive is hot swappable, please correct me if I am wrong as I do have a replacement on hand.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RaymondBailey wrote:

Performing the OS reinstall from the boot menu worked, 

Great.

@RaymondBailey wrote:

My understanding it that the drive is hot swappable, please correct me if I am wrong as I do have a replacement on hand.

If you are using XRAID with at least two drives, or a FlexRAID mode with redundancy then you can hot swap the drive, and it should resync.

It'd be good to update your backup (at least of critical data), since the array is unprotected during the resync.

Message 14 of 15
RaymondBailey
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@RaymondBailey wrote:

Performing the OS reinstall from the boot menu worked, 

Great.

@RaymondBailey wrote:

My understanding it that the drive is hot swappable, please correct me if I am wrong as I do have a replacement on hand.

If you are using XRAID with at least two drives, or a FlexRAID mode with redundancy then you can hot swap the drive, and it should resync.

It'd be good to update your backup (at least of critical data), since the array is unprotected during the resync.

Running X-RAID2

I REALLY appreciate all the help and support, thank you all so very much!

I had backed up all the data to an external drive connnected to one of the rear USB ports, althought the degraded array made that process a lot slower than I would have liked.

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements