× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My old readynas 600 (rnx7b2000) is not starting up ?

patel999jay
Aspirant

My old readynas 600 (rnx7b2000) is not starting up ?

My old readynas 600 (rnx7b2000) is now not accessible ? it boots up and then do nothing and now i can not even find that on network ? Is there a way to flash the new system in or connect to it ? i tried reset button still no luck.

Any recommandation ?

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: My old readynas 600 (rnx7b2000) is not starting up ?

Does RAIDar find it? 

If not, perhaps try powering down, and removing the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar can find it (or if you can see it in your attached device list).

Message 2 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

I removed all my drives as well and then try to find it with RAIDar but unfortunately nothing came up. Power light is blinking and activity light is blinking as well nothing else.

Message 3 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

Update !
It looks like it is now has 2 lights constantly blinking, what does that mean ? Raidar still can not find it.
Message 4 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

It looks like i fix it. I can access that by ip address. But raidar still can not find it. This is strange.

Any suggestions what should i try ?
Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@patel999jay wrote:
It looks like i fix it. I can access that by ip address. But raidar still can not find it. This is strange.

Any suggestions what should i try ?

Can you access frontview using https://nas-ip-address/admin ? (using the real IP address of course).

Use Internet Explorer or Edge in IE mode.  Other browsers will likely give you an SSL protocol error (and/or cipher mismatch).

If you can't use those two browsers then download an older version of firefix (94.0.2 or older), and immediately configure it to not auto-update.

Message 6 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

I can access it. Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like it put my NAS in factory rest mode. Do you happen to know what is the password for the admin (default password) ?

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@patel999jay wrote:

I can access it. Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like it put my NAS in factory rest mode. Do you happen to know what is the password for the admin (default password) ?

It's either netgear1 or infrant1.

Message 8 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

@StephenB : yes finally it came back. Still for some reason Raidar can not find my system, do you have any idea why ? Also can i install newer firmware on my old machine so i can use smb2/3 ?

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@patel999jay wrote:

Still for some reason Raidar can not find my system, do you have any idea why ?

Is there a security software package running on your PC?  RAIDar sends and receives broadcast packets.  If something is blocking them on your network (or the PC), then it can't find anything.

@patel999jay wrote:

Also can i install newer firmware on my old machine so i can use smb2/3 ?

The newest firmware is 4.1.16.  But that doesn't include production SMB 2/3.  That firmware has experimental support for SMB 2, but I've never tried it.  After installing it, you could try adding the following lines to the [global] section of the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and rebooting the NAS:

min protocol = SMB2

max protocol = SMB2

If you want to enable http (unencrypted) access to frontview (in order to avoid the TLS 1.0 problem), there are instructions for doing that here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Workaround-for-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER...  You'd wait until after you update the firmware, as the update will overwrite the modified virtual.conf. 

Message 10 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

Can i connect my readynas 600 to readycloud ? 

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@patel999jay wrote:

Can i connect my readynas 600 to readycloud ? 

No.  ReadyCloud is only for systems that run OS 6 (6.x.x firmware), and your old 600 runs 4.1.x.

Message 12 of 14
patel999jay
Aspirant

@StephenB : is there a way to access your files over internet with old firmware ? Any addons ?

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@patel999jay wrote:

@StephenB : is there a way to access your files over internet with old firmware ? Any addons ?

You have a very old end-of-life NAS, and there haven't been any security updates to the firmware since 2017.  So I don't recommend forwarding ports to the NAS.  Add-ons also aren't a great option.

Instead I would look at getting a home VPN - many routers support OpenVPN, which would let you connect securely to your home network while you are away.  That would give you access to your files.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements