× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS RN31443D freezes after a few minutes of use

andrea_santini
Aspirant

NAS RN31443D freezes after a few minutes of use

Hello everyone, I have this problem. The NAS freezes after approximately 30 minutes of use. I'm afraid it's one of the 4 discs. I would like to do a single test for each disk, but I don't understand how to do it. I only find the option to test the whole disk pool.

I still ran this type of test, but after a few minutes the NAS freezes. I also tried running a SCRUB, but it always crashes at 0.7%.

How can I find out which hdd (s) have problems?

I checked the logs, but they don't report anything abnormal.

Grazie

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
andrea_santini
Aspirant

Re: NAS RN31443D freezes after a few minutes of use

Unfortunately I don't understand what the problem is. I bought another NAS in consideration of the fact that this NAS was already 8 years old. Thanks anyway for the invaluable help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@andrea_santini wrote:

I checked the logs, but they don't report anything abnormal.

All stats in disk_info.log look clean?

Are you comfortable using ssh?  It is easy to do read tests on individual drives with smartctl.

It's possible that the freeze isn't linked to a drive issue. Are you seeing any warnings related to a full root partition?

Message 2 of 8
andrea_santini
Aspirant

Thank you.
Even using SSH, it crashes after a while.
Monday I check what you told me.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@andrea_santini wrote:

Even using SSH, it crashes after a while.

smartctl -x /dev/sda should give you details of what errors (if any) the disks have in their logs (using the appropriate names for the other drives of course).

Message 4 of 8
andrea_santini
Aspirant

Over the weekend I tested all drives individually with the WDC special test and all idrives are fine.

I just reconnected the NAS to the network, downloaded all logs and ran smartctl -x / dev / sdx on all drives. No error.
The disk_info.log file also does not report errors.
It is a beautiful mystery.
Let's see if it still crashes.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@andrea_santini wrote:

Over the weekend I tested all drives individually with the WDC special test and all idrives are fine.

I just reconnected the NAS to the network, downloaded all logs and ran smartctl -x / dev / sdx on all drives. No error.
The disk_info.log file also does not report errors.
It is a beautiful mystery.
Let's see if it still crashes.

SMART doesn't catch everything, but that does suggest that its unlikely to be the disks.  It could be power related, or something else going on in the chassis (memory???).

Message 6 of 8
andrea_santini
Aspirant

Unfortunately the NAS crashed again.
Tomorrow I try to restart it and check the logs.
I will let you know. Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
andrea_santini
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't understand what the problem is. I bought another NAS in consideration of the fact that this NAS was already 8 years old. Thanks anyway for the invaluable help.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements