× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR ReadyNAS DUO is Dead

hells_mels
Aspirant

NETGEAR ReadyNAS DUO is Dead

Hi there,

My old RadyNAS Duo appears to have given up the ghost and will not boot anymore.

I'm prepared to replace it with a new one, but does anyone know if I can simply take the drives out of the old one and put them in the new onw?

If so will this retain all the data on them or will they need to be re-formatted?

Kind regards,

Mel

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NETGEAR ReadyNAS DUO is Dead

@hells_mels wrote:

I'm going to factor in the cost for a small UPS

That is a good idea - something I generally recommend and do myself.  Not only does it offer some protection against power surges, it also allows the NAS to shut down cleanly when the battery in the UPS drains.  That avoids losing writes in the cache - which can result in corrupting the file system.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You could move the drives to another used Duo, but I don't recommend it.  You cannot move the drive directly to a current ReadyNAS and use them as-is, but there is a procedure, with Netgear paid assistance, to access the files on the drive using a current NAS and back them up, if you don't already have a backup from which to restore the files on your new NAS.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

there is a procedure, with Netgear paid assistance, to access the files on the drive using a current NAS and back them up, if you don't already have a backup from which to restore the files on your new NAS.

You can also connect disk 1 of the NAS to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and access the data with R-linux for Windows (free).  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Message 3 of 10
hells_mels
Aspirant

Thanks very much Sandshark and StephenB for your replies and tips.

I'll take a look at R-Linux for Windows and hopefully it won't exceed my technical abitlities and might help.

In the meantime I've tried taking a look at getting "NETGEAR paid assistance" in the event I need to try and get my files back. Would anyone know how to arrange this?

It's not clear whether I should go for the Gearheads or NETGEAR Premium? Do I pay for a one-off incident or 6 months or 1 year?

As always your suggestions are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mel

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hells_mels wrote:

In the meantime I've tried taking a look at getting "NETGEAR paid assistance" in the event I need to try and get my files back. Would anyone know how to arrange this?

It's not clear whether I should go for the Gearheads or NETGEAR Premium? Do I pay for a one-off incident or 6 months or 1 year?

Certainly not gearheads.

If R-linux doesn't work, you'd likely need data recovery: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service 

Message 5 of 10
hells_mels
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB for the tip to try R-Linux.

It worked really well, was suprisingly straightforward in use and I managed to get all my files back! Which I've copied to a portable hard drive. So thanks again for that tip.

Hope you won't mind if I ask your advice on a replacement for the Duo?

I initially, because of the potential unreliability of mechanical drives, went for the Duo for the peace of mind of mirroring my data to two drives. Even though the Duo has given pretty good service, I'm aware I haven't taken into account unreliability of the disk presenting/serving hardware.

I haven't got the budget to go to a proper business class storage array but I was wondering if there was a platform where I could have just removed the drives from my existing device and put them in a new one without data loss?

Kind regards,

Mel

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hells_mels wrote:

I haven't got the budget to go to a proper business class storage array but I was wondering if there was a platform where I could have just removed the drives from my existing device and put them in a new one without data loss?

The currently shipping ReadyNAS all support direct migration of drives between all OS 6 platforms.  The entry level model is the RN212 (arm based); the entry Intel plaform is the RN422.

Though prices are very high at the moment (likely due to the impact of the virus).  So you might be better off going with a USB drive right now, and then purchase a new NAS when prices drop back to normal.  Then use the USB drive to back up the NAS.

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Of course, as was the case with your Duo, you hope it is years before you need to replace your next NAS, and the ReadyNAS OS may have moved beyond OS6 by then.  Fortunately for you this time, the file system didn't get corrupted by whatever failed in your NAS, so recovery was easy.  That may not be the case next time.

So, the lesson to be learned is that RAID alone is not sufficient to insure the safety of your data.  You need a true backup plan, and that USB drive you used for data recovery is probably a good place to implement that once you do get a new NAS.

Message 8 of 10
hells_mels
Aspirant

Thanks both.

A near miss and a lesson learnt.

When I get the replacement, as well as a USB drive, I'm going to factor in the cost for a small UPS, since it was a power outage  that seemed to kill my Duo.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Mel

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hells_mels wrote:

I'm going to factor in the cost for a small UPS

That is a good idea - something I generally recommend and do myself.  Not only does it offer some protection against power surges, it also allows the NAS to shut down cleanly when the battery in the UPS drains.  That avoids losing writes in the cache - which can result in corrupting the file system.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements