× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Transmission 2.80 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Mr_B
Guide

Re: New Transmission 2.77 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

There isn't any official "memory requirements" to be checked against as far as i know of, but it's a fairly well known fact that performance suffer with the original memory amount. But in my world you should still be able to get more then 400kB/s. I've been running in the area 2-3MB/s, with the rare 4MB/s showing it's ugly face every week with 2 Sundays in it. I'm not sure, but i don't think anyone squeezed more speed out of transmission then that. You can check cache size, turn off, or set encryption to optional, to try and get a weee bit more, but thats about it.
B!
Message 26 of 160
pugilares
Aspirant

I have installation file for Transmission 2.42. It is Transmission_2.42.bin. Size of this file on disk is 21 171 KB. I have also installation file for Transmission 2.77, which is Transmission_2.77.bin. Size of this file on disk is only 1 791 KB. I didn't try to install 2.77 yet. Could you tell me if it's all right that 2.77 installation file is so much smaller that 2.42?
Message 27 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

Trukhin wrote:
Hmm... Build size reduced from ~20 MB to ~2MB (2.42 -> 2.76)?

tarobun wrote:
Yep, that's the file size with all debug symbols stripped.

B!
Message 28 of 160
pugilares
Aspirant

Thank's a lot 🙂
Message 29 of 160
pugilares
Aspirant

Just upgraded by first making copy of configuration files from 2.42, then uninstall of 2.42, install 2.77, copy configuration files to /c/addons-config/Transmission/ and it seems to work fine! Thank's a lot guys 🙂
Message 30 of 160
sieco
Aspirant

I ahve today loaded transmission 2,77 sparc to My ReadyNas Duo, but it wont run any downloads and keeps telling me that it could not connect to the server, help.
Message 31 of 160
pugilares
Aspirant

Does it mean that it's running, you can access web interface, you can add torrents to download/upload?
If so, there must be something with your network configuration. Are you utilising UPnP in your net?
Message 32 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Updated to version 2.80 - dedicated to O. Jonsson (my very first donator! :D)

Changes:
All Platforms

• Support renaming a transfer's files and folders

• Remove the most frequent thread locks in libtransmission (ie, fewer beachballs)

• Show the free disk space available when adding torrent

• Faster reading and parsing of local data files

• Better use of the OS's filesystem cache

• Lengthen the prefetch cache for data sent to peers

• Other small speedups

Web Client

• Extend the cookie lifespan so that settings like sort order don't get lost
Message 33 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

Probably a stupid question. Is it update safe? Retains settings, and loaded torrents?

Thank you for your time and effort.

B!
Message 34 of 160
rybackisback
Aspirant

After updating my ReadyNAS NV+ from Transmission 2.42 to 2.8 Transmission stopped working.

When I put in a torrent file or a magnetic link and press upload nothing happens. I have refreshed the page with no luck. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling still no luck. Now I cant get ver 2.42 to work either. Please Help. My settings.json file is as below:

{
"alt-speed-down": 50,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
"alt-speed-time-day": 127,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
"alt-speed-up": 50,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": true,
"blocklist-url": "http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_level1&fileformat=p2p&archiveformat=gz",
"cache-size-mb": 2,
"dht-enabled": true,
"download-dir": "/var/local//Downloads",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"download-queue-size": 5,
"encryption": 0,
"idle-seeding-limit": 30,
"idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false,
"incomplete-dir": "/var/local//Downloads",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": false,
"lpd-enabled": true,
"message-level": 2,
"peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
"peer-id-ttl-hours": 6,
"peer-limit-global": 200,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 50,
"peer-port": 51413,
"peer-port-random-high": 65535,
"peer-port-random-low": 49152,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "default",
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": true,
"preallocation": 1,
"prefetch-enabled": 0,
"queue-stalled-enabled": true,
"queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
"ratio-limit": 0,
"ratio-limit-enabled": true,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": false,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "{96792b9ef294d0262728648b7f397c649983b72bSTOJSxyI",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,10.0.0.*,192.168.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
"scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"seed-queue-enabled": false,
"seed-queue-size": 10,
"speed-limit-down": 100,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
"speed-limit-up": 0,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": false,
"umask": 18,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
"utp-enabled": true
}
Message 35 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Mr_B wrote:
Probably a stupid question. Is it update safe? Retains settings, and loaded torrents?

Thank you for your time and effort.

B!

Yep, and yep.
Message 36 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

rybackisback wrote:
After updating my ReadyNAS NV+ from Transmission 2.42 to 2.8 Transmission stopped working.

When I put in a torrent file or a magnetic link and press upload nothing happens. I have refreshed the page with no luck.

Try reloading the web page... Ctrl-F5 (Windows) or Cmd-R (Mac).

Not just refresh, you need to reload.
Message 37 of 160
rybackisback
Aspirant

I have tried realoding, reinstalling and nothing seems to work. No I cant get ver 2.42 to work properly, which used to work before I updated to 2.8
Message 38 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Did you restart the NAS after upgrading to 2.80?

Also when you say it doesn't work, what in particular is not working? Is the add-on running (ie. green light on installed add-ons page)? Or is it just the upload button?
Message 39 of 160
Russell_Coight
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I can't get the service to start for some reason. The web interface will say it has started, the light will turn green for a few seconds then back to grey.

Running Transmission 2.80 and RAIDiator 4.1.12. I've tried removing/reinstalling.

I've SSH'd into the box and ran top while trying to start the service, the transmission service will appear for a second then go away if that means anything.

Are there logs anywhere? There's nothing related in /var/log/messages

Is there anything I can do? The only other thing I can think of is to factory restore the box, something I'd rather not do.

thanks
Message 40 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Hmmm... new version of RAIDiator... Let me try upgrading my box to see if anything breaks.

Upgraded to 4.1.12 and Transmission running no prob.... so not sure what the problem is.

The transmission binaries are in /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION
You can start the transmission-daemon with the option --logfile <filename> to get it write out log messages.

I did notice that the green light in the "Installed Add-ons" section is a bit slow in updating.

good luck!
Message 41 of 160
Russell_Coight
Aspirant

tarobun wrote:
Hmmm... new version of RAIDiator... Let me try upgrading my box to see if anything breaks.

Upgraded to 4.1.12 and Transmission running no prob.... so not sure what the problem is.

Sorry I should've said that it also happened for the version before, I tried to update to see if it would fix the problem.

tarobun wrote:
The transmission binaries are in /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION
You can start the transmission-daemon with the option --logfile <filename> to get it write out log messages.

Sorry not sure how to do this, what is the full command I need to run?
Message 42 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

To run from command line enter:
cd /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION
./transmission-daemon --logfile /var/tmp/transmission.log

To view log file:
cat /var/tmp/transmission.log
Message 43 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

I am unable to start Transmission v2.80 either.

I had been having problems with v2.42 crashing (web interface and GUI dropping connection and Transmission apparently not) after my ReadyNAS Duo automatically updated to RAIDiator 4.1.12 (although, I had automatic updates deselected) - so I having tried downgrading back and forth with RAIDiator to 4.1.10 and reinstalling, uninstalling Transmission 2.42, I found this new version but cannot get it to work. After installing, I get similar results to those posted above - web interface and GUI unable to connect - at least with 2.42, they could connect and I could see active torrents for up to an hour before it crashed.

But I also have the problem that whenever I try to uninstall Transmission v2.80, I am asked for a username and password which does not match the one stored on my keychain; the default 'admin' 'password1'. I don't see any mention of a new default password.

Anyway, I have gone from a fully functioning Transmission earlier today to a dead Transmission in just about four hours. I'm particularly frustrated that downgrading back to the stone age in terms of RAIDiator and Transmission versions does nothing to help. Not happy.
Message 44 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

I'm definitely no expert in this area but I think I've managed to sort the problem out on my ReadyNAS Duo.

I noticed a few possible problems.

Firstly, when I uninstalled Transmission there was an option to keep or delete data and settings. When I uninstalled with the 'c' share mounted, I noticed that none of the settings were in fact deleted when I opted for them to be. So, having uninstalled Transmission via Frontview, I manually deleted the Transmission folder from the 'c/addons-config' folder along with the BitTorrent folder in the media share - having first moved all completed downloads to another folder. Deleting the BitTorrent folder might have been unnecessary but there was some behaviour which made me suspect that the permissions on this folder may have been corrupted. This done, I then reinstalled Transmission (v2.80).

Secondly, the torrent directory path seemed to be, by default, '/var/local//Downloads' as per rybackisback's settings.json file. This was shown in both the web interface and GUI and didn't look familiar to me - only that I have opened a lot of torrent files and whilst I couldn't remember what the path had been, I didn't recognise the path either. I have backups of previous settings.json files for various configurations and checked what they said and sure enough the path was '/media/BitTorrent' which immediately looked familiar. So, I changed the setting in the web interface.

It may have been a double barrelled shotgun approach to a minor coding problem but since having done this, I have downloaded 1.5GB of data without a disconnection.

As mentioned at the start, I'm no expert so I can't back up my approach with anything other than saying that it worked for me.
Message 45 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

It looks like upgrading from Transmission 2.42 to this Transmission add-on is a no-no. Sounds like there are conflicting configuration that screws up both installs. 😞 (eg. /c/addons-config)

It seems the best approach is to fully uninstall the old, delete the config directory, and then install this add-on. Once you're on this add-on, updating is straightforward and can be done over the existing version.

Just a fyi - the default download dir is /var/local/Downloads and there is no username and password with this add-on. If you are prompted for them then the old version was not fully uninstalled.
Message 46 of 160
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

/var/local/Downloads sounds like a path on the OS partition. You shouldn't download to this directory.
Message 47 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

tarobun wrote:
It looks like upgrading from Transmission 2.42 to this Transmission add-on is a no-no. Sounds like there are conflicting configuration that screws up both installs. 😞 (eg. /c/addons-config)

It seems the best approach is to fully uninstall the old, delete the config directory, and then install this add-on. Once you're on this add-on, updating is straightforward and can be done over the existing version.

Just a fyi - the default download dir is /var/local/Downloads and there is no username and password with this add-on. If you are prompted for them then the old version was not fully uninstalled.

Well, having taken the radical action that I did, my Transmission v2.80 and RAIDiator 4.1.12 are still working having previously crashed very shortly after every start. Given that for me Transmission 2.42 did not work with RAIDiator 4.1.12 anyway - maybe for the same reasons - I'm just glad to have any version of Transmission working again.

The path quoted is not quite what mine had which was '/var/local//Downloads' which has // - I don't know what that means but it doesn't look right.

Yes, the path does look like a Mac path but as has been said, it comes up by default.
Message 48 of 160
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's a Linux path.

A path such as /c/media/BitTorrent or something like that would be better.
Message 49 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Re: New Transmission 2.81 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Updated to version 2.81

Changes:
All Platforms

• Fix 2.80 bug that showed the incorrect status for some peers

• Better handling of announce errors returned by some trackers

Web Client

• Slightly better compression of png files

Also changed default download dir to /c/media/BitTorrent