× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc)

eton
Luminary

Re: New Transmission 2.82 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Feedback.
The fresh install of tarobun's version of Transmission has been working quite well. But downloaded torrents often gets tracker errors. So I can't seed them. The only way I've found working to repair that is to restart Transmission from Frontview, tedious. Is this just my NAS or does others experience the same thing with their installations. This problem was rare with super-poussin's version.

Error: Tracker: Could not connect to tracker
Message 126 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Re: New Transmission 2.83 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Updated to version 2.83

Changes:
All Platforms

• Licensing change: the GNU GPLv2 code can now be used under GNU GPL v2 or v3

• Fix network hanging issues that could occur when both UTP and DHT were enabled

• Fix 2.82 file descriptor leak when importing a blocklist

• Disallow torrents that contain "/../" in the path

• Fix 2.82 bug that didn't retain peers between sessions

• Fix potential dangling memory error in UDP tracker DNS lookups

• Remember a torrent's "queued" state between Transmission sessions

• Updated third party libraries: DHT updated to v0.22; miniupnpc updated to v1.9

• Autoconf script fixes: better detection of ccache, minupnpc

• Fix the X-Transmission-Session-Id header to be valid with the SPDY protocol

• Fix thread safety bugs in the tr_list datatype

• When determining free disk space on NetBSD>=6, support its Quota feature

• Windows portability improvements

Daemon

• Use libevent's event loop

• Fix discrepancy in curl SSL setup between tr-daemon and tr-remote

Web Client

• Support file renaming in the web client

• Fix incorrect torrent state being displayed for magnet links

• Make URLs in the torrent's comment field clickable (and sanitize them to prevent cross-scripting)
Message 127 of 160
eton
Luminary

Thanks for the new version tarobun!
Just updated, wokring fine.
Message 128 of 160
vatazhka
Aspirant

Transmission 2.83 is vulnerable to peer communication vulnerability. More details are available in Gentoo bug tracker at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=516822. Version 2.84 contains fix for this vulnerability.
Message 129 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Thanks!...

Updated to version 2.84

Changes:
All Platforms

• Fix peer communication vulnerability (no known exploits) reported by Ben Hawkes
Message 130 of 160
emk1
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Anyone else having watch-dir issues with 2.84? Seems any torrent files dropped in my watch-dir aren't being loaded. Was working on 2.83 and earlier.
Message 131 of 160
smashman42
Guide

Just had my settings.json file corrupt itself for no apparent reason. Couldn't get to the web interface, and in Frontview it said the service was started/running but the green light was greyed out.

Renamed the corrupt settings.json (couldn't even open the file to edit it), restarted the service so it would generate a new default , then stopped it again to tweak the settings to how I like them.

Everything had been working fine for the last month or two since I got rid of the old 2.42 by Super-Poussin(sp?) and updated to Tarobun's 2.84, so no idea how/why this happened. No power cuts, drive problems, or NAS locking up. Just thought I'd note it here just in case someone else runs into the problem.

Oh, seeing as I was messing around in Frontview anyway I updated to the latest RAIDiator 4.1.14 firmware after fixing Transmission, so far no dramas with the update as far as I can tell. I don't use the watch-dir so no idea about emk's problem, sorry.
Message 132 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

emk wrote:
Anyone else having watch-dir issues with 2.84? Seems any torrent files dropped in my watch-dir aren't being loaded. Was working on 2.83 and earlier.
Took me for ever to get around to this. Sorry. I just tested it on my system. Had to configure a watch dir, and such since i wasn't using one. But after that it was working as a charm. You might want to double check so you got:

"watch-dir": "where ever"
"watch-dir-enabled": true

in your settings.
B!
Message 133 of 160
emk1
Aspirant

Ii appears I got it working after testing a few things. Firstly, I tried changing "watch-dir-enabled": the value has always 1, not true. So I tried playing around with this, but the true/false value definitely doesn't work for me. Only binary 0 or 1 work.

Secondly it appeared to be a permission problem, depending on which machine I drop the file from or how I connect to the share (e.g.: sometimes I drop directly from either mac/PC at home, sometimes I drop it when I VPN in from remote location. Sometimes I even SCP the file over). I also restarted my box to flush any gremlins out, good old Windoze fix never hurt anyone right 😄
Message 134 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

emk wrote:
Ii appears I got it working after testing a few things. Firstly, I tried changing "watch-dir-enabled": the value has always 1, not true. So I tried playing around with this, but the true/false value definitely doesn't work for me. Only binary 0 or 1 work.
I copied the variables from my settings.json after i set it up so it was working. If you got a different need in your settings.json, then your most likely not running the same addon. I'm running the one posted in this thread.
When i went to test it out, i didn't have the variable for enabling, or setting the path to where, so i went and got them from this list, according to which the supposed values are indeed true / false, not 1/0.
Anyway, what ever you had to do to get it working, gratz.
B!
Message 135 of 160
emk1
Aspirant

I think I had the least amount of success with SCP regarding the watch-dir. Maybe the file perms got screwed up because I'm copying over as root. Dropping the file into the dir with AFP/CIFS seems to retain the correct perms for it to work.

I definitely am using this version of Transmission (I have NV+ v1). Previously I was using Super Poussin's addon up to v 2.42 (where he stopped supporting it). Moved onto v2.8x when I found that it was available and continued to use Poussin's email script and settings.json file for config.
Message 136 of 160
eton
Luminary

New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc)

I've had no problems with watch-dir. And I am also using settings from old super-poussin's version, but I edited them and inspected each line carefully when switching to tarobun's version.

viewtopic.php?t=75559
Message 137 of 160
mememel
Aspirant

Hi
I've problem with Transmission 2.84. I tried many search.
Any torrent would like start (private and public torrent), and i tried the SAME torrent file on a 2.84 transmission on my Laptop ubuntu and it works perfectly.
The configuration are same.

Transmission say :
Announce error: Could not connect to tracker - Today 06:23:20 PM
Next announce in 9 minutes
Scrape error: Could not connect to tracker - Today 06:25:05 PM

Config on Transmission 2.84 on ReadyNas Duo RAIDiator 4.1.14 :
{
"alt-speed-down": 50,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
"alt-speed-time-day": 127,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
"alt-speed-up": 50,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": false,
"blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist",
"cache-size-mb": 2,
"dht-enabled": false,
"download-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"download-queue-size": 5,
"encryption": 0,
"idle-seeding-limit": 30,
"idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false,
"incomplete-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent/_incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
"lpd-enabled": true,
"message-level": 2,
"peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
"peer-id-ttl-hours": 6,
"peer-limit-global": 200,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 50,
"peer-port": 51413,
"peer-port-random-high": 65535,
"peer-port-random-low": 49152,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "default",
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": true,
"preallocation": 1,
"prefetch-enabled": 0,
"queue-stalled-enabled": true,
"queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
"ratio-limit": 2,
"ratio-limit-enabled": false,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": false,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "{c16e9303ec8d8827bad4d9e94a864103a087edc5bLqTQnoT",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,10.0.0.*,192.168.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
"scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"seed-queue-enabled": false,
"seed-queue-size": 10,
"speed-limit-down": 100,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
"speed-limit-up": 100,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": false,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": false,
"umask": 18,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
"utp-enabled": false,
"watch-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent/_watch",
"watch-dir-enabled": false
}

And my 51413 port is open on my router, but transmission show "port is closed".
Upnp is turn on on the router.

And is the past, the add on works perfectly (10 days ago). I don't change any thing. I don't unterstand.
Is there a LOG file for Transmission 2.84 on the Nas Readynas Duo ? How and where I can find it ?
Message 138 of 160
StephenB
Guru

Is it possible that the internal IP address of the NAS has changed? (e.g., the port may be forwarded to the wrong IP address?)
Message 139 of 160
addict
Aspirant

Same thing is happening to me. Suddenly Transmission is not connecting to anything with message "Port is closed" but all signs indicated that the route is open. How to debug this?
Message 140 of 160
StephenB
Guru

Same question for you - did you verify that the port is still forwarded to the current internal IP address of the NAS?

Also you can verify the port status with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ from a PC.
Message 141 of 160
addict
Aspirant

Yup, that connects. I've been enabling and disabling upnp and when it's on, I see the specified port and IP in my router's upnp list. From what I can tell, things just suddenly stopped working a week or so ago with no known changed on my part. I can ping Internet domains from the Duo and I see Transmission listening on the specified port too. Really perplexed!
Message 142 of 160
StephenB
Guru

Did you try rebooting the NAS?
Message 143 of 160
addict
Aspirant

Yup. Rebooted NAS, restarted router, and Uninstalled and reinstalled the Transmission add-on. I'm really at a loss. I'm ready to try another client, if there is one. A desktop-based Transmission clientclient worked fine.
Message 144 of 160
addict
Aspirant

still struggling with this ... all inbound connections seem to connect, I can ping Internet domains from the NAS (via ssh), and i can see in my router that there are inbound connections to my NAS IP and Transmission listen port that are in TIME_WAIT or UNREPLIED state. Further, if I look at outbound connections from my NAS I see outbound connection to 239.255.255.250 in UNREPLIED state. Internet search seems to indicate this is related to UPnP. I have to wonder if some UPnP "test' is failing, thus making Transmission think the port is closed, and it won't respond to inbound connections. There are several other connections in UNREPLIED state as well, so I feel like the connections are coming in, they're getting to the NAS, it's just not sending any data back. So perplexing. Any other ideas, anyone?
Message 145 of 160
eton
Luminary

addict wrote:
still struggling with this ... all inbound connections seem to connect, I can ping Internet domains from the NAS (via ssh), and i can see in my router that there are inbound connections to my NAS IP and Transmission listen port that are in TIME_WAIT or UNREPLIED state. Further, if I look at outbound connections from my NAS I see outbound connection to 239.255.255.250 in UNREPLIED state. Internet search seems to indicate this is related to UPnP. I have to wonder if some UPnP "test' is failing, thus making Transmission think the port is closed, and it won't respond to inbound connections. There are several other connections in UNREPLIED state as well, so I feel like the connections are coming in, they're getting to the NAS, it's just not sending any data back. So perplexing. Any other ideas, anyone?

What bit-torrent ports are you forwarding from router to NAS? And I hope you have reserved an IP address to the NAS MAC address.

I have these ports forwarded to my NAS: 51413, 6881-6889
Message 146 of 160
addict
Aspirant

I'm currently using Upnp With no specific ports set up for forwarding (as per instructions on the Transmission wiki). I _had_ been forwarding just 1 port to the static IP of my NAS, not using UPnP, and disabling random port use (thus, not forwarding any defined range of ports)
Message 147 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

I've been ransacking my memory, and i know i have set my transmission clients to static ports and manually configured them in the firewall, since some torrent sites had the habit of claiming that i was "un-connectable" at the uPnP specified port. But while some trackers reported this, others never saw an issue, so i believe it was actually on the tracker-end this issue existed. It also never resolved those trackers, they still think my port isn't open. In the end i just reported it to the admins, who made sure the tracker didn't pay attention to that, and that the peers gets my info regardless. What i'm aiming at... Are you sure your "checking" it with a working tool?

Also, "could not connect to tracker" shouldn't have anything to do with your port forward setup. the port you set is nothing but active mode transfers. Thats peer to peer. The tracker communication doesn't need a incoming port configured. It just expects that outgoing traffic is allowed, and the tracker has the "active" role in the conversation. Meaning unless your NAS is blocked from accessing the net, it's not on your end. The tracker simply doesn't respond. You can be blocked / banned, or, the tracker is blocked / banned, in your gateway/firewall, or possibly on a ISP level.

Anyway, the description of the error, and the suggested problem doesn't seam to add up. Figure out whats actually broken, and start looking at it from that end, and it should be easier to provide an answer...
B!
Message 148 of 160
addict
Aspirant

oddly, there are no tracker errors, just Transmission showing Port Closed and no peers connected. I'll disable UPnP, go back to static routing, and try the same set of ports you used to see if it does anything. Thank You for replying!
Message 149 of 160
addict
Aspirant

Just found another user experiencing the exact same symptoms using version 2.84 of Transmission on his Synology NAS. It started May 30, 2016, same as me. What could be going on here!?
Message 150 of 160
Discussion stats
Announcements