× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc)

dwilson
Tutor

Re: New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

I am also suffering from this issue. I have been for about a week, but I had things so screwed up from my deb-package making attempts that I didn't worry much about it. Just finished a full and complete factory reset after backing up my data, installed the transmission 2.84 addon and am now showing the port as closed. uPnP is enabled on the router, and no peers on any torrent. The NAS has internet connectivity, tested as good.
Message 151 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

I have to ask again, what, exactly, is used to test the port, and gets the answer that it's closed, to make you guys default to thinking that transmission is at fault?
At this point nobody can help you since they cant reproduce the error, and quite frankly, the error assumed, and the error messages supposedly being had according to the last few posts, doesn't add up.
The communication with the TRACKER has NOTHING to do with the forwarded (or not) port for Transmission. If you can't reach the tracker, the problem isn't the port being forwarded or not.
B!
Message 152 of 160
eton
Luminary

Another idea.
You can't use blacklists with some trackers. Or put it this way, blocklists are getting too greedy.
Message 153 of 160
dwilson
Tutor

Mr_B wrote:
I have to ask again, what, exactly, is used to test the port, and gets the answer that it's closed, to make you guys default to thinking that transmission is at fault?
At this point nobody can help you since they cant reproduce the error, and quite frankly, the error assumed, and the error messages supposedly being had according to the last few posts, doesn't add up.
The communication with the TRACKER has NOTHING to do with the forwarded (or not) port for Transmission. If you can't reach the tracker, the problem isn't the port being forwarded or not.
B!

Quite right, and my install of transmission does in fact work fine. The blocklist seemed to be the issue, the mint 7.1 install iso downloaded fine once I turned it off.

However, transmission's preferences page still reports the port being closed. I've verified it's open by ssh'ing to an Amazon EC2 instance I use at work, and using telnet to connect back, using the port listed. It happily connects. Switching uPnP off at the router, rebooting the nas and trying telnet again with the new, randomized port fails. Clearly it's working as intended, just being mis-reported in the preferences window.

Since it does work, I'm not really concerned with fixing it. Merely adding my two-bits to addict, confirming he's not the only one seeing it. Whether that particular issue has anything to do with his other issues, I don't know enough to have an opinion on.
Message 154 of 160
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser, then reopening Transmission's preference page and seeing if it's then displayed correctly?
Message 155 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

mdgm wrote:
Have you tried clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser, then reopening Transmission's preference page and seeing if it's then displayed correctly?
It never worked for me, for reasons unknown, but the port is wide open, and the traffic passes through it with no issues. It's just broken. Which is why i was asking what gave everyone the testresults that the port actually was closed, and not just misreported.
B!
Message 156 of 160
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you ever manually edit the config? If so, did you make sure to edit it using an appropriate text editor.
Message 157 of 160
jbartczak
Aspirant

I've recently got ReadyNAS 104 - same here. 'Could not connect to the tracker' and - what obvious - no peers. Redirected port was displayed as 'closed' in Transmission (2.84) client. DHT worked well though, so the torrents were running.

The solution for me was to set IP adress to DHCP again (and to do address reservation on my DHCP service to get desired IP address).

Static IP has given some severe problems: I wasn't even able to install any app from the 'webshop'.

Try that, hope that helps.

Message 158 of 160
StephenB
Guru

@jbartczak wrote:

I've recently got ReadyNAS 104 - same here. 'Could not connect to the tracker' and - what obvious - no peers. Redirected port was displayed as 'closed' in Transmission (2.84) client. DHT worked well though, so the torrents were running.

The solution for me was to set IP adress to DHCP again (and to do address reservation on my DHCP service to get desired IP address).

Static IP has given some severe problems: I wasn't even able to install any app from the 'webshop'.

If you are forwarding ports, then you either need static addresses or address reservation.  Address Reservation is the better approach. Even w/o port forwarding, it is helpful to have a consistent IP address for the NAS.

jbartczak: The most common cause for your app install problem (with static IP) is failing to configure the DNS servers for your NAS.  Misconfiguring the gateway address/subnet mask will also do it.  A good test of the static IP configuration is to have the NAS check for new firmware.

Message 159 of 160
jbartczak
Aspirant

Yup, it makes sense - tracker could't be connected to, cause it's adress couldn't be 'translated'. DHT protocol use only pure IP adresses, so it runs smoothly without DNS.

Message 160 of 160
Discussion stats
Announcements