× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New nas owner confused on transmission :'(

Crazywolf
Aspirant

New nas owner confused on transmission :'(

Heya,

Just got myself a NAS Ultra 2 and wanted to use it to well share my files (duh) and download torrents.

So i plugged it in looked at the stock settings wich seamed to have 2shares on geust account that had read/write.
I installed transmission and loaded up the gui... so far so good.
But when i add a torrent it runs a little then says premission denied!?

Anyone know why i mean the folder it tires to write to has geust acces on read/write so why cant it write?

Hope someone can help me on this.

PS. if i get this to work is it possible to make the folders for certain users only and still download to em in transmission?
Message 1 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Hello,

If the share is open (guest access on, default read write permissions) you should not be having an issue. I recommend you create a new share with guest access and default read/write, and test with that share. Also make sure you are running the latest firmware. You may also want to try deleting the add-on and reinstalling it. Is there any other information in the error? Also I'm not really familiar with the transmission add-on but I would imagine if you are getting permission errors with an open share you most likely will not be able to use a share only open to specific users.

Support Resources -

Forums:

Prosafe: http://forum1.netgear.com
ReadyNAS: http://www.readynas.com/forum
Prosecure: http://prosecure.netgear.com/community/forum.php

Contact support or register a device

1-888-NETGEAR (638 - 4327) Option 4 for technical support
http://my.netgear.com

Knowledge base

http://support.netgear.com
Message 2 of 8
msattert
Aspirant

Hi Crazywolf,

I have the same issue, but a bit strange as it downloads about 30-40Mb and then comes up with permission error! It says something about write access to disk! I have tried creating a new directory with full read-write access and tried again, but did the same.. If I get it to work I will let you know...might try a different BT client.

Regards
Message 3 of 8
Crazywolf
Aspirant

The reason it downloads a bit then gives the error is because it saves that much into memory before writing it to disk.

But i tried new shares, got latest firmware i think (think it asked to update first time i used it?).
No other information as far as i can see just that it doesnt have acces to write 😕

msattert if you find a other BT client let me know.. cause as far as i know it need to modded to run on this NAS and there is only transmission made for this 😮
Message 4 of 8
thomaswo
Aspirant

Am having the same issues with my Pro 6 with latest Lion ready firmware... are there people with working transmission on latest radiator? what transmission version are you using then?
Message 5 of 8
rarev
Initiate

After having the same problem and a lot of searching, I found the following solution:
Transmission is using the 'nobody' account. If you check your shares (default: backup and media), you'll see that the backup share is setup for the 'nobody' account. If you setup the media share (user to nobody and group to nogroup) like the backup share, or set transmission to /c/backup, it will work.
Message 6 of 8
kweenieman
Aspirant

rarev wrote:
After having the same problem and a lot of searching, I found the following solution:
Transmission is using the 'nobody' account. If you check your shares (default: backup and media), you'll see that the backup share is setup for the 'nobody' account. If you setup the media share (user to nobody and group to nogroup) like the backup share, or set transmission to /c/backup, it will work.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else and your solution doesn't work either. Both my media share and backup share are set to "nobody;nogroup" and I still get the same error.

This is my setup:

Radiator 4.2.17
Transmission 2.33 (downloading 2.32 to try now)

Transmission also now leaves a couple of nasty folders ("incomplete" for example) that I can't access or edit/remove :evil:
Message 7 of 8
thomaswo
Aspirant

rarev wrote:

got this working. but were now having issues with file moving from via SMB connected mac. after going to afp and having everything to nobody:nogroup this seems to be resolved.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements