× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Disks Detected (RND4000-200NAS)

sudospectral
Aspirant

No Disks Detected (RND4000-200NAS)

My ReadyNAS NV+ v2 was making fan noise so I decided to shut it down and blow it out with compressed air.

Powering it on, it displayed "No Disks Detected".  Based on one response on these forums I tried replacing the fan.  I've also tried taking my drives out, inserting a scratch drive and doing a factory reset via the menu.  I can see the chassis via RAIDar, but it doesn't report any disks as being inserted.

Are there any troubleshooting steps left or is the backplane somehow just gone now?

And if the backplane is gone, what chassis can I replace it with that would be compatible with the RAID off the drives that were in there (which I hope is still good, can't really tell).

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
sudospectral
Aspirant

Re: No Disks Detected (RND4000-200NAS)

Solution found:

The cheap external power supply I bought off of Amazon failed in some strange way (it must have been producing enough power to light most everything up, but the drives spinning up must have drove the voltage low and it failed or something electrical that rhymes with that).

I bought a whole additional case off of ebay, but it turned out all I needed was the power supply.

There was actually another thread that I found which suggested that this could be a power issue but they suggested plugging the unit into a different outlet.  I didn't make the connection that it could have been the external power supply or think that the power supply could even have a failure mode where it started to not produce enough power rather than just failing outright.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@sudospectral wrote:

And if the backplane is gone, what chassis can I replace it with that would be compatible with the RAID off the drives that were in there (which I hope is still good, can't really tell).

All currently shipping ReadyNAS use a different file system setup, so none of them are compatible.

It is possible to temporarily mount the disks in a new NAS so you can offload the data.  That requires assistance from paid support - not sure what they'd charge.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If you connect the disks to a PC (likely using USB adapter/docks) you could also use R-Studio to access the data.  https://www.r-studio.com/

@sudospectral wrote:

Are there any troubleshooting steps left or is the backplane somehow just gone now?

I'm not thinking of much - perhaps @Sandshark might offer a suggestion.

Message 2 of 8
sudospectral
Aspirant

What about USB flash recovery?

https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

I don't see one for 5.3 though.

Message 3 of 8
sudospectral
Aspirant

Or would a RND4000-100NAS NV+ "v1" be able to read the drives?

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@sudospectral wrote:

Or would a RND4000-100NAS NV+ "v1" be able to read the drives?

It would not be able to read the drives.

@sudospectral wrote:

What about USB flash recovery?

That seems unlikely to help.  The history suggests that the hardware was somehow damaged when the chassis was open.  You could double-check all the cabling connections I guess.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The NV+ V2 is a model with which I have no personal familiarity.  I does sound like something may have simply come loose during your cleaning operation, but I can't make any suggestions as to what connection that might be.

Netgear does not make schematics of the ReadyNAS available, so troubleshooting a damaged SATA backplane is not really an option.  I have seen two cases of damaged backplanes, and both were fixed by replacement from a used NAS purchased for parts.  In both cases, however, only some of the slots were bad.  With all slots not detecting a drive, it could be in the SATA controller itself, not the backplane.

Message 6 of 8
sudospectral
Aspirant

Solution found:

The cheap external power supply I bought off of Amazon failed in some strange way (it must have been producing enough power to light most everything up, but the drives spinning up must have drove the voltage low and it failed or something electrical that rhymes with that).

I bought a whole additional case off of ebay, but it turned out all I needed was the power supply.

There was actually another thread that I found which suggested that this could be a power issue but they suggested plugging the unit into a different outlet.  I didn't make the connection that it could have been the external power supply or think that the power supply could even have a failure mode where it started to not produce enough power rather than just failing outright.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Care to share the brand of the power supply you found wanting to direct others away from it?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements