× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Web Interface - Frontview gone ;-( on my ReadyNAS Pro

soremaniac
Aspirant

No Web Interface - Frontview gone ;-( on my ReadyNAS Pro

Okay I shut have read until the end*, but I dit not. I (tryed) to install Pi-Hole on my ReadyNAS PRO with 6.9.6 

(*= Pi-Hole Web Interface also uses http://ip-nas.local/admin -> yes realy BAD!)

So now I have a NAS with no Access to the Web GUI, No Problem because I still have SSH (lucky) enabled, I thought...

I worked me through the hole forum and all external links. I tryed all (I think), to Fix the GUI. Plex, NextCloud, Docker, FileSharing, NetDATA all still works, but...(data stil here)

Strange is that I can some how not DOWNLOAD (BackUP) any Data from the NAS or just the folders than it starts to hang. But this ist the realy strange thing is, UPLOADING to the NAS no Problem - 110MB/s!!! Okay I know BackUP:-/ it is not the Data, I spend hours to sort the Data and uploades to this NAS (that has new Disk in it). So then i can Factory Reset the other (older) NAS and install also some new Disks or just use it as BACK-UP (grrrrrrrr!!!). 

Okay i tryed first this (with SSH - here still on NasOS 6.9.6):

# apt-get dist-upgrade (and the apt-get udate --fix-missing and apt-get upgrade --fix-missing)

this fixed some Debian things and updated a lot but dit not fix my problem...

Then I found this  (with SSH - here the Upgrade from 😞

# cd /var/readynasd
# wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNASOS-6.10.3-x86_64.zip
# unzip R*.zip
# rm *.html *.zip
# echo /var/readynasd/ReadyNASOS-6.10.3-x86_64.img > /etc/.flash_update
# rn_shutdown -r

this updated my NAS to 6.10.3 and Frontview was still not working...

Then I found this  (with SSH - here the Upgrade from 😞

# touch /.os_update
# rn_shutdown -r

dit what it was told, but still no working Frontview... ;-( but ReadyNAS 6.10.3 Running, but still no way to download files (fast).

-> In Plex, I was able to Download folders, but just with 5-10MB/s  what by 400GB Data will take ages...;-( but all the other stuff that is not in Plex is still lost...

So I just have the FACTORY Reset or?Smiley Frustrated

Factory default:

# touch /.os_install

# rn_shutdown -r

I still think I can FIX This... would it be possible if i just take out all the Disk, install a Fresh NasOS on a empty Disk, SSH in on the NAS, copy the Folder where the stuff is (see Pic) and take alls what is in the fresh install and copy it to my Frontview folder and replace it what is there? Or is there a only Fix Frontview batch? And I also tryed to uninstall Pi-Hole -> # pihole uninstall (I think is not working becouse it dit never finish the installation, so no luck there...:-() Smiley Frustrated

Or is there a ReadyNAS User or Master how is with the force and guide me to the solution?

-> and yes Pi-Hole will be never installed on my ReadyNAS!

So stay save and healthy, stay @Home to figth Corona...

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@soremaniac wrote:

I still think I can FIX This... would it be possible if i just take out all the Disk, install a Fresh NasOS on a empty Disk, SSH in on the NAS, copy the Folder where the stuff is (see Pic) and take alls what is in the fresh install and copy it to my Frontview folder and replace it what is there?

That might be possible.  Though I'd definitely recommend backing up all your data (and maybe your OS partition) before you attempt it.  Fortunately you do have ssh access, and it looks like you are experienced with the linux CLI.

I'd also match your share configuration on the fresh install (and whatever other configuration you remember and can match).  Then maybe start by moving over apache configuration files, etc.

Message 2 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

okay I will try it, but it is still a mistory why Upload to my NAS goes with no problem (110MB/s), but the Downloads aren't working at all...(I think the installation of Pi-Hole killed more than the GUI). But how I cut find out what is the problem there?)

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@soremaniac wrote:

okay I will try it, but it is still a mystery why Upload to my NAS goes with no problem (110MB/s), but the Downloads aren't working at all...(I think the installation of Pi-Hole killed more than the GUI). But how I cut find out what is the problem there?)

Certainly odd, but It seems unlikely that it killed Samba.  

You can still do a backup by attaching USB drives to the NAS and mounting them manually.  Or create a share on the PC, and create a mount point for that on the NAS.

Message 4 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

can you tell me wher in the terminal I find the USB Storage Volume? (the path?) 

PS: I can say     $ /sys/bus/usb/      is not the real deal

Message 5 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

and   /dev/bus/usb    is also nothing  .-(

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The NAS software mounts USB drives to /media.  For instance, /media/USB_HDD_1

Message 7 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

and when nothing happens? in that folder...(on the LED Panel show's that the drive is connectet)

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@soremaniac wrote:

and when nothing happens? in that folder...(on the LED Panel show's that the drive is connectet)

Well, of course your NAS software is broken at the moment.  It's not clear to me if that is limited to the web interface, or if it is also affecting the readynas application itself,  Normally the NAS will automatically mount the USB to /media when you connect it.

Even if that isn't happening, you should see the disk in /dev/disk/by-id.  Have you looked there for it?

Message 9 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

yes found it there...

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@soremaniac wrote:

yes found it there...

Good.  The next step is to figure out how to mount it.  How is if formated?  Are you seeing it in /dev?

Message 11 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

The extern Disk is a Sandisk Extrem -> USB Externes physisches Volume • ExFAT  (no encription)

and in the /dev it is as in the pic under /dev/disk/external/3:1:Extreme_SSD:3......     

(under MacOS it mounts "Extreme SSD" no _(underscore))

As much i knwo it shut mout just...

thx for your help

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The NAS doesn't support exfat.  You can use fat32, ext, btrfs, or ntfs.

Message 13 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

now it does (and mounts the drive:-D) -> see the pic

Open your terminal and install the exfat-fuse and exfat-utils packages using the following commands:

sudo apt update 
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

see here: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-mount-an-exfat-drive-on-debian/ 

and next thing is backUP...

Message 14 of 15
soremaniac
Aspirant

and now copying all the DATA in Terminal with the Comand:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/195983/how-to-copy-files-via-terminal 

cp -Ri OwnCloud/  /media/USB_HDD_1/

cp -Ri Musik/  /media/USB_HDD_1/