× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6.x on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) the last firmware supported and link to download it

Bob245
Guide

OS6.x on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) the last firmware supported and link to download it

Hi everyone,
I am testing a RNDP4000 ver 4.2.31 with 4 WD 3TB disks each and it mount 1024 of DDR2 ram.
I would like to switch from version 4.2.31 to version OS6.x.x.
I have read various tread on the forum but I have not understood which is the exact version that I can install and download.
You can kindly give me a definitive answer where to download the correct and last firmware OS6.x and the installation notes.
Will my RNDP4000 readynas with only 1 GB of ram support an OS6.x?
Is it true that OS6.x uses SMB2 instead of CIFS?
The OS6.x will allow me CLI accesses with the SSH?
Many thanks.

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: OS6.x on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) the last firmware supported and link to download it

@Bob245 wrote:

With the firmware 4.x I could use up to 3Tb disks (which are the ones that are mounted now).

With OS6.x can I mount larger disks? Up to what size can I use? Thank you.

There's no known limit, so you could use 14 TB (which is the largest disk currently available).

FWIW, 4-bay 4.2 systems using XRAID could go up to 5 TB drives (15 TB volume size).  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: OS6.x on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) the last firmware supported and link to download it

@Bob245 wrote:
Is it true that OS6.x uses SMB2 instead of CIFS?

It uses SMB 3.1.1.  But it also supports older versions of the protocol.

@Bob245 wrote:
The OS6.x will allow me CLI accesses with the SSH?

Yes.

@Bob245 wrote:
Will my RNDP4000 readynas with only 1 GB of ram support an OS6.x?

To be clear - Netgear doesn't support OS 6 on legacy NAS.  So if you do this conversion, Netgear won't provide any paid software support.  However, they will provide some help in this forum.

1 GB of RAM will work, though currently shipping OS-6 NAS all have at least 2 GB.  So it would be good to upgrade the RAM as part of the conversion.  You'd need a 2 GB memory module, because the RNDP4000 only has a single memory slot.

@Bob245 wrote:
You can kindly give me a definitive answer where to download the correct and last firmware OS6.x and the installation notes.

Again, there are no official notes on how to do this, since Netgear doesn't support it.

But there are instructions here that you can use:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Lost-contact-with-NAS-after-upgradi...

After the conversion, you can update the firmware to 6.10.0 (or later versions) using the normal firmware update procedure for OS 6.

Message 2 of 6
Bob245
Guide

Ok, everything is clear to me, thanks!!

I have already downloaded the prep firmware and the OS 6.x firmware that you have indicated to me.

I am activating to upgrade the memory to 2Mb.
Only one last clarification: if the ugrade to OS6.x goes wrong, it will be possible with adequate procedure, to return to version 4.x?
Today I will open a new tread because I need some clarifications on the use of the encryption feature that OS6.x should have.
Eventually we feel on the new tread.

Thanks again and congratulations for your competence and professionalism and for patience in following me in this upgrade. Bob

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

Only one last clarification: if the ugrade to OS6.x goes wrong, it will be possible with adequate procedure, to return to version 4.x?

If the upgrade works correctly, you can revert to 4.2 firmware. 

If the upgrade goes wrong, then it depends on what fails I guess.

Message 4 of 6
Bob245
Guide

With the firmware 4.x I could use up to 3Tb disks (which are the ones that are mounted now).

Bob

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

There's no known limit, so you could use 14 TB (which is the largest disk currently available).

FWIW, 4-bay 4.2 systems using XRAID could go up to 5 TB drives (15 TB volume size).  

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements