× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem upgrading ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to OS 6

Chase_Karr
Tutor

Problem upgrading ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to OS 6

I have encountered a problem upgrading my Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (Model Number RNDU4000, with four 2-TB drives) to OS 6 and am looking for suggestions.

Before attempting the upgrade I replaced the original 1-GB memory module with a 2-GB memory module and ran memory test for 28 hours, zero errors. Also made sure the BIOS was the latest version (2011-08-23).

I followed StephenB's conversion procedure found at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNas-OS4-to-OS6-Files-Needed/td..., downloading the two files from the links provided in that thread.

Sometime after starting Step 4 in the instructions a message "ERR: Could not properly extract" appeared. I do not remember if this was before or after a message indicating upgrade progress, something indicating FW was being written? It could have been both before and after.

Then the device went to "Booting 99%", let it sit for a couple of hours with no change before forcing a powerdown by holding the power button.

Subsequent tries to reboot end at various points from 90% to 98%. Pressing the power button the display reads "quotarpc.service" as best as I can read it.

It has been noticed that when rebooting now there is a message "Welcome to the ReadyNAS World !" that appears very briefly early in the process; that message was not observed prior to the upgrade attempt. Maybe I just missed it? Or does that mean OS 6 is partially installed?

The display then shows "Booting...", "Starting network", "Checking root FS", and finally the ascending percentages.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Chase_Karr wrote:

Now what?

It could be an issue with the disk, so perhaps test it in a PC with vendor tools.

You could also try a factory default from the front panel (either with the current disk or a different one).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like you need a USB recovery (/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool).  You need to make an OS4.2.x style recovery USB, but put the image you used for the conversion in place of the OS4.2.x image.

Message 2 of 6
Chase_Karr
Tutor

Thanks for your response, Sandshark!

Following your suggestion and the instructions in the link provided, starting usbrecovery.exe on a Windows 10 PC resulted in an error message that said in part "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect." Checking Windows' Event Viewer led me to install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package", which fixed that problem.

Used a 1-GB USB drive and created the recovery USB. It was noticed that usbrecovery.exe would not "see" R4toR6_6.9.5.bin even when it was the only BIN file in the directory. Renamed R4toR6_6.9.5.bin to RAIDiator-x86-R4toR6_6.9.bin then it appeared and was selected. Usbrecover.exe reported "Not responding" for a few seconds during the process, but then later said "Done".

Followed the instructions from the link you provided, but after holding the Backup button for 15 seconds (by a watch) the device started its normal boot process. Tried longer times in five-second increments, same results until I held the Backup button for 30 seconds. Never saw anything on the LCD that said anything about USB Recovery mode, just the far left block in the upper row blinking on and off.

But then a bit over 60 seconds after releasing the Backup button the device powered down, just as predicted in the instructions! (The instructions did not suggest a time to power down.)

Removed the USB drive and tried booting normally, but no joy, it still stalls out at 80-plus percent and showing "quotarpc.service" on the display.

Downloaded R4toR6_6.9.5.bin again from the same link as before and re-created the recovery USB, same results.

Now what?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Chase_Karr wrote:

Now what?

It could be an issue with the disk, so perhaps test it in a PC with vendor tools.

You could also try a factory default from the front panel (either with the current disk or a different one).

Message 4 of 6
Chase_Karr
Tutor

Thanks for your assistance, StephenB!

Used the boot menu to initiate "Factory default". It seemed to boot normally and the fan(s) slowed down.

Perhaps most importantly, after "Booting" finished it displayed an IPv4 address, then "ReadyNAS Ultra 4 / 6.9.5". That makes me think it actually did upgrade.

Now it is showing "Resync data:", which at current rate will take until sometime tomorrow morning.

Am now able to access the Admin page using the IPv4 address displayed. The Admin page also showed 6.9.5. Great!

Will report back tomorrow after the resync process is done.

Message 5 of 6
Chase_Karr
Tutor

After the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 finished doing whatever it does while resyncing I successfully rebooted it.

Then I followed Sandshark's instructions (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Backup-and-restore-of-VPD-file-for-...)
for saving off-device the VPD file for possible future need.

After configuring the device to my desired configuration I tried "Check for Updates" several times, each time an error message reading "Operation timeout. Communication error. Check your internet connection, DNS Settings, or proxy settings." appeared.

I also tried to set up antivirus, which after quite a long time would finally trigger a message stating "Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your internet connection."

So I enabled SSH on the device, connected that way, and successfully pinged a few domains. So it appears my internet connection was fine? Not sure.

At that time, without another attempt at "Check for Updates", there appeared a message stating the there was an update to 6.9.6 available and waiting for download! Allowed Netgear to update the device, which appears to have succeeded. That was the version I was planning to use anyway, so that is fine!

This is all too weird, but am now loading the directories and files back onto the device.

Thanks again to Sandshark and and StephenB!

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements