× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with KMotion

dangrew
Aspirant

Problems with KMotion

Hi,

I've installed KMotion (v2.15a-rnx86-0.2.6) on my Ultra 4 Plus (4.2.19) and have been trying to hook up a D-Link IP camera (Zoneminder supported). When I add the URL for the .cgi I get the message that the daemon is being restarted but nothing happens - no image. After a while KMotion become unstable (for example if I try to view logs) and Frontview also becomes unaccessible. I have to restart the NAS to get back into Frontview. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
WhoCares_
Mentor

Yeah, kmotion can be a bit tricky and it also is a bit touchy. What D-Link camera do you own, I may be able to test with one of mine if we have similar models.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 10
dangrew
Aspirant

Hi Stefan - It's a D-Link DCS-930L. Thanks for your help.

Dan
Message 3 of 10
cjphilly
Aspirant

I just installed Kmotion on my Ultra 4 last night and I am having the same problems with Kmotion and it causing problems with Frontview. I removed the Add-on and everything seems to be back to normal, but just wondering if you figured out a fix for it. My cam is a Foscam FI8918W which is also on the ZoneMinder list.
Message 4 of 10
WhoCares_
Mentor

Could you be a bit more specific as to the Frontview problems? Running KMotion never ever gave me any problems with Frontview at all so I'm quite at a loss here.

-Stefan
Message 5 of 10
cjphilly
Aspirant

Sure. After I installed KMotion and tried to configure it, Frontview would simply not load, or would just show the empty FrontView page template without any data. It would work fine for a while after restarting but the problem always seemed to reoccur. Once I removed the KMotion add-on Frontview has loaded fine everytime.
Message 6 of 10
WhoCares_
Mentor

Strange. Looks like I need to get a Foscam to be able to reproduce. If there's anything in the logs or anything else you think that could be related or of interest, let me know.

-Stefan
Message 7 of 10
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Any luck with this issue? I'm experiencing same. Install kmotion, tried to enable a network cam, receive message about daemon restart, lose frontview access, apache log indicates MaxClients has been reached, this explains non responsive frontview. Reboot with ssh, frontview is fine until the kmotion url is accessed. kmotion never saves config of attempted camera add either. kmotion Logs and Load menu items just say downloading data and don't appear to work.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the python module for apache? It seems to be using 2.6 module from the readynasxtras python add on. I also have 2.7 installed which I compiled from source. I've tried to point /usr/bin/python at the 2.6 and 2.7 binaries, no luck. Plex and BIF server both using python just fine.

Anyone got a solution or thoughts before I start digging for the cause?
Message 8 of 10
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Something goes wrong during the install of kmotion for some of us, not sure what causes it. To fix it, you'll need root ssh access and also have the admin account setup for ssh. The following worked for me, in this order:

As root:
rm /c/.kmotion/fifo*
chmod -R 777 /c/.kmotion

As admin:
/c/.kmotion/install.py

As root:
cd /c/.kmotion
mv kmotion /usr/local/bin
mv kmotion_ptz /usr/local/bin
chmod -R 777 /c/.kmotion

Reboot the readynas, add your cameras if necessary and hopefully kmotion works now.

If it still doesn't work, have a look at the manual instructions for kmotion. They're not for readynas but it can help you figure out where its breaking:

http://kmotion2.googlecode.com/svn-hist ... TO_INSTALL

Hope this helps somebody out! Good luck!
Message 9 of 10
Martinc1
Aspirant

I'm having problems setting up my Foscam F18918 all i get is a grey screen with a message "Unable to open video device", any suggestions anybody?
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements