× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - System extremely slow and unable to delete files

mellman
Aspirant

RN104 - System extremely slow and unable to delete files

Hi All, 

looking for some help here.

I have a RN104 - running 6.9.3

The device has been alerting that it's low on space, so I deleted some files, it still says it is low on space (now at 5% free which is around 860GB)

I've taken a closer look to see what can be deleted, the system appears to be purging snapshots in the logs due to low disk space which is fine - but i'm unable to delete files at any decent rate.  Deleting a single 5mb photo takes 5-10 minutes (yes, that long) if it even works at all, often it just hangs and the entire device becomes unresponsive.  

I've tried to disable quotas on the entire volume, it spins for about 5 minutes and then closes out that window, when i check back quotas are still enabled.

I've tried deleting files via the smb share, on the web interface, and via SSH.  only SSH seems to be reliable enough to work, and again deleting very small filestakes minutes.  i have an entire 5TB worth of folders on here I can just delete if there's a way to do that quickly.

I saw some other posts indicating that you can run btrfs commands - those don't work for me.

EDIT:  I have tried so far: Rebooting, manually deleting a few old snapshots, full power down/reboot.  the disks health are fine according to the GUI, temps are all in range.

Any advise is welcome.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 - System extremely slow and unable to delete files

@mellman

Welcome to the Community!

Are you deleting the data on the GUI or File explorer? at 5% free space you might still be lucky getting access to the GUI or data, most of them are getting access issues due to services not running anymore because of the full volume.

Have you tried moving data instead of deleting it? if you are comfortable using SSH it might be better doing it there but if not, contacting Support is one option. 

I would try using an external storage and move the data there instead of deleting and if it is successful, updating the firmware would be next.

HTH

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mellman wrote:

I've taken a closer look to see what can be deleted, the system appears to be purging snapshots in the logs due to low disk space which is fine - but i'm unable to delete files at any decent rate.  Deleting a single 5mb photo takes 5-10 minutes (yes, that long) if it even works at all, often it just hangs and the entire device becomes unresponsive.  

EDIT:  I have tried so far: Rebooting, manually deleting a few old snapshots, full power down/reboot.  the disks health are fine according to the GUI, temps are all in range.

At this point I suggest waiting for the NAS to finish manually deleting the snapshots.  The NAS will be sluggish.  I wouldn't risk rebooting the NAS in the middle of the purging process.

Once it settles down, then disable snapshots.  

Personally I'd delete additional snapshots before deleting files.  Keep in mind that it will take some time to reclaim the space.  Delete the oldest snapshots first (as they use the most space).

If you are using the "smart" snapshots, I suggest switching to "custom" and manually setting retention.  That will make it much easier to prevent this from happening again.  And of course consider either deleting files or expanding the file system.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

It does take quite a while for the background tasks to re-claim the space from deleted snapshots, especially if you have not been running periodic balances.  And it's going to be especially slow on a slower NAS like the 100 series.  It may be best for you to temporarilly disable snapshots while you let the system catch up.

Once you get down at least below 90% use, you should run a balance.  Doing so at an even lower useage level is even better.

Message 4 of 5
mellman
Aspirant

Quick update. 

I did try moving instead of deleting, that didn't work any better or differently.  I also tried connecting an external USB drive to move files to it but it would not load and said it wasn't formatted properly even after a clean NTFS format and clean USB removal.  I t ried a flash drive, that did work but took about an hour to recognize it.

I think ultimately it was just too bogged down with the low storage percentage and trying to auto clean snapshots.

Over the past 5 days or so i've had to reboot the NAS multiple times throughout the day so that it would continue working.  If I didnt' do this, SSH became unresponsive, and there was no activity on the disk light (after a flurry of activity).  I also was able to view the log files after a reboot and noticed it was still trying to delete snapshots...sometimes it took 4-5 reboots for it to delete  single snapshot.  after it freed up a few hundred MB, it started becoming more stable and usable, i started copying off some of my files so that I didn't have to resort to my cloud backup, and it would last about 4-6 hours before becoming unavailable again.  At this point it's been online for 1 day 6 hours, copying files, and even able to delete files in the GUI.  

Up until now I've not been able to manually disable snapshots or delete them, or delete any files, but just took a slew of reboots (probably upwards of 20/day the first few days.  It's back in action now fortunately, but i now have a second backup of the files on it so that's a plus.  

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements