× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Remote Windows App Beta(1.7.6.27)

TonyKoral
Tutor

Hi

I am after a copy of ReadyNAS Remote Windows App Beta(1.7.6.27)

Can anyone advise where I can obtain one please?

Thanks

Tony

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mperrey
Tutor

Yes it's lousy of Netgear to abandon owners of legacy NAS units by dropping support of ReadyNas Remote with no migration path to Ready Cloud. I also have two perfectly good NAS units that I'm not about to throw away just so I can buy ones that runs Ready Cloud. My next NAS unit won't be Netgear because in a few years I don't want to experience the same thing when they abandon Ready Cloud for something else.

As of this writing I can still login with the ReadyNas Remote client v1.7.6.28 on Windows 10 and access one of my NAS units. I put new larger hard drives in the other one but can't add users in the Remote client on it. The "No users were found" error many people have posted about.

I uploaded the v1.7.6.28 install file to Dropbox so you can download it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shbdxyukqrgvkqh/ReadyNASRemoteSetup_v1.7.6.28.exe?dl=0

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @TonyKoral

Welcome to the Community!

Service for ReadyNAS remote has ended last September 30th, 2017.

it is no longer available, You may want to update your ReadyNAS system to a ReadyNAS running on OS 6 that supports ReadyCloud.

Other users can also suggest an alternative to ReadyNAS Remote.

hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

@TonyKoral

What model Readynas do you have?

Message 3 of 9
TonyKoral
Tutor

bedlam 1- I have 2 Ready Nas Duo 2x2TB and 1 Readynas Duo 2 2x4TB.hopefully you can help me with a copy of the beta version please? I would be very grateful as it looks as though Netgear have abandoned me.

Mark V (moderator) - "

You may want to update your ReadyNAS system to a ReadyNAS running on OS 6 that supports ReadyCloud."

I'm not at all impressed by your company - you are expecting me to dump 3 perfectly good pieces of equipment just because I have tried to upgrade to windows 10??? I have been logging in to them on my old windows 7 setup without a problem very recently, why mess up a perfectly good system when you have written the software and supplied it to others? If Netgear won't supply it maybe somebody out there would be kind enough to help me out please - I would be extremely grateful!

Tony

Message 4 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

I was hoping you had legacy ReadyNAS which could be upgraded to Netgear OS6 system, but you don't Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@TonyKoral wrote:

you are expecting me to dump 3 perfectly good pieces of equipment just because I have tried to upgrade to windows 10??? I have been logging in to them on my old windows 7 setup without a problem very recently,

Are you saying that you can't access the NAS shares on your local LAN with Windows 10?  If so, that has nothing to do with Remote.  Try going into "turn windows features on or off" (windows 10 control panel), and make sure the SMB/CIFS 1.0 client is installed on the PC.

Remote was deprecated last September (as @Marc_V said), and won't work with any version of Windows.  Netgear removed the feature from their servers, so even if you found the client software it wouldn't work.  There are other options for remote access - for instance

• install OwnCloud on the NAS (there is an inexpensive add-on available at rnxtras.com)
  • deploy a VPN on your network (either OpenVPN or ZeroTier).   OpenVPN is built into several routers, including Nighthawk and Orbi.
  • Set up FTPS access (forwarding ports in your router, and enabling FTP on the NAS).  FileZilla and WinSCP both support FTPS, and there are mobile apps that support it as well.

Message 6 of 9
mperrey
Tutor

Yes it's lousy of Netgear to abandon owners of legacy NAS units by dropping support of ReadyNas Remote with no migration path to Ready Cloud. I also have two perfectly good NAS units that I'm not about to throw away just so I can buy ones that runs Ready Cloud. My next NAS unit won't be Netgear because in a few years I don't want to experience the same thing when they abandon Ready Cloud for something else.

As of this writing I can still login with the ReadyNas Remote client v1.7.6.28 on Windows 10 and access one of my NAS units. I put new larger hard drives in the other one but can't add users in the Remote client on it. The "No users were found" error many people have posted about.

I uploaded the v1.7.6.28 install file to Dropbox so you can download it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shbdxyukqrgvkqh/ReadyNASRemoteSetup_v1.7.6.28.exe?dl=0

Regards,

Mark

Message 7 of 9
TonyKoral
Tutor

Mark

Thank you very much - it works with my 3 Readynas devices on windows 10. I had found a work-around using the older version of Readynas remote in a Virtualbox PC but that was much slower so this is great. I wonder how long before Netgear cuts off access this way!

Once again - I appreciate your help - thanks

Tony

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you actually accessing the NAS remotely?  If not, you don't need Remote to access your NAS.  And, unlike ReadyCloud, your user name locally is the same as using Remote, so there are no issues with different user folders.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements