× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Read ReadyNASRND4000 X-raid disks on a ReadyNASRND4000v2

Eivin
Aspirant

Read ReadyNASRND4000 X-raid disks on a ReadyNASRND4000v2

I have three X-raid disks from a "broken" ReadyNASRND4000. I also have a ReadyNASRND4000v2 and I am wondering how I can read the old disks on this v2 unit. Can I just plug them in and try - or would that risk I to erase/destroy the old disks? The disks are ok.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eivin wrote:

I also have a ReadyNASRND4000v2...

The labeling is confusing, so let's confirm the platform first.

An NV+ (v1) is a sparc-based platform that

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS NV+ on the front panel
  • might say RND4000v2 or RND4000v3 on labels on the back or bottom

An NV+ v2 is an arm-based platform that

• runs 5.3.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS NV+ v2 on the front panel

@Eivin wrote:

Can I just plug them in and try - or would that risk I to erase/destroy the old disks? 

If you have an NV+ v2, then it won't work.  If you are lucky the system would fail to boot with a corrupt root error.  If not, it would reformat the disks.

If you actually have a NV+ v1, then then it is best to first match the firmware that was running on the old NAS.  If you don't know that firmware, then install the latest version (4.1.16) before you migrate the disks.  The way you do this is

1. install a scratch disk (which you are prepared to reformat)
  2. do a factory reset from the front panel
  3. install the desired firmware
  4. power down
  5. migrate the old disks
  6. power up

If the firmware in the flash doesn't match the firmware on the disks, then the NAS will install whatever is in it's flash onto the disks during step 6.

Message 2 of 6
Eivin
Aspirant

Thank you for a quick reply!

My ReadyNasRND4000v2 is a RND4000-200EUS with RAIDiator 5.3.13. I guess then that this means I can not run the old disks from RND4000 (v3), I do not know which RAIDiator was on that one. I am not sure, but as it stopped working when I had an electric fuse (main house fuse) damaged, I guess the power unit was destroyed.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eivin wrote:

My ReadyNasRND4000v2 is a RND4000-200EUS with RAIDiator 5.3.13. I guess then that this means I can not run the old disks from RND4000 (v3)

Correct.

@Eivin wrote:

I am not sure, but as it stopped working when I had an electric fuse (main house fuse) damaged, I guess the power unit was destroyed.

That sounds likely. 

The PSU can be replaced.  It uses a non-standard pinout, so if you use a stock PSU you'd need to modify the pins a bit.  There are a couple of sources that sell you a supply you can just drop into place, but they tend to be pricey.

If you have an ATX power supply on hand you can jury-rig a temporary setup that would let you offload the data.  To do that you'd get extension cables and modify the pinout in the extension cables. 

Let us know if you need more information on that.

Other options - 

if you can connect the disks to a PC,

• you can either use R-Studio or
  • boot the PC up under linux and manually mount the volume

You could alternatively

Message 4 of 6
Eivin
Aspirant

Thank you! 

I will look into the alternatives. I guess solutions with pc sw will need all disks concurrently connected?

Eivind

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eivin wrote:

I guess solutions with pc sw will need all disks concurrently connected?

Yes.  So you'd likely need USB adapters or a USB dock that can handle multiple disks.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements