× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNas backup hung? writing to usb attached drive

sevilla315
Aspirant

ReadNas backup hung? writing to usb attached drive

Hi,

I kicked off a backup to the 4tb usb drive connected to the front usb port, with 4 backup jobs of each of the shares in series. I'm doing this before I switch to OS6.

I could see the usb drive from Windows being updated, and so left it running for a few hours.

After about 4 hours in I checked on progress and I couldn't access the usb drive from windows nor could I access the admin screen to check on the backup process. 

Access to any of the other nas shares seems no problem. The front backup light is still blinking away and I can hear the disks being accessed periodically. 3tb by my calculations over a usb2 interface should take around about 6 hours which has already passed. My guess is that the backup process has died or hung and I need to restart the ReadyNas and redo the backup?

Can I do anything to check if it's ok before I reboot the box? Can I connect to the box using a shell?

Thanks

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadNas backup hung? writing to usb attached drive

I wouldn't assume that it's hung just yet.

What USB backup device are you using?  Many are SMR drives, and they can be very slow when you are doing sustained writes - 9-10 MB/sec.

Message 2 of 4
sevilla315
Aspirant

At 9am the next morning, more than 15 hours in total, I still couldn't connect to the drive via Windows or get the admin screen up.

I decided to shut down the NAS but it couldn't do it, probably some backup task preventing it. I hit the power switch and it went through recovery then started up. I detached the usb and attached it to my desktop and it was toast. One share backup was missing the other I couldn't read, unsurprisingly. I reformatted the usb drive and reattached, then kicked off the first job manually, but this time attached to one of the back usb ports. It seems very slow, much slower than last time. 7 hours and it's only written 110GB. The first time I thought it had written 100GB in 2 hours. At this rate I'll be here all week!

Message 3 of 4
sevilla315
Aspirant

I'm using a Seagate portable 4tb disk, but as this is a legacy machine it can only operate at usb2 speeds. Still it seems very slow.

I see from a Google that Seagate have been shipping SMR disks since 2013.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements