× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS NV+ 4250 v3 drive migration

Euschrj
Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ 4250 v3 drive migration

I wanted to ask the community if anyone has successfully moved clean raid 5 disks from a legacy NV + Sparc version 4.x to the latest NAS 412 ver 6.x?

My old NAS died and presently has my data hostage. Seems I can pay 200 for a piece of software to try to recover my data but initial review appears it will not retrieve the tree or file names. Or I can pay NETGEAR 180 with no promises.

Just checking my options.
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ready NAS NV+ 4250 v3 drive migration

So your backup is not up to date? It's important to backup important data regularly and not just store it on the one device, no matter what device that is. Like all PCs a NAS will eventually fail.

Were you using X-RAID? Or if you were using Flex-RAID which RAID level(s) were you using?

The process for moving disks across from a Sparc ReadyNAS to an OS6 ReadyNAS is described in ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.1 or RAIDiator 5.3 to ReadyNAS OS 6

This would result in purchasing a data recovery contract for support to attempt to recover your data. We don't know what state your disks, array, volume etc. are in without looking at it.

Another option is to use an ordinary x86 machine running Linux. There is a straightforward process to attempt if you were using X-RAID or certain Flex-RAID levels. However if things aren't in a good state then this may not work.

Btw there is no RN412. If you're using 3 or more disks (which you'd have to be to be using Flex-RAID RAID-5) then you'll need at least a 4-bay unit such as the RN424.

Message 2 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

As bad as it sounds, I even work in IT and did not backup my own data.  I know that sounds crazy - but it happened.

I setup this back devices some years ago (probably close to eight years).  I believe i was using X-Raid (since it was default) but seriously cannot remember.  It was a Raid-5 at the time of the incident.  Considering the NAS was not under use when it halted the drives should be in good order.  The drives power up and test ok.

Sorry, the new model type purchased is the RN214

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/RN214.aspx#

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Do you have some experience with the linux command line interface?

Message 4 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

I don’t. But I have guys that do. I have see some discussion regarding mounting then in Linux and copying the data out.
Going to check with Netgear tech support first then pulling in my team.
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Message 6 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

thank you.

will try this method and see how it works.

reclaime was a bust.  It does not keep the directory tree integrity and looses the file names.

Message 7 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

Hey support team.

How do we go about starting this conversation up again?

Netgear site does show my hardware anymore - you guys having site issues?

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Euschrj wrote:

Netgear site does show my hardware anymore - you guys having site issues?

Do you mean this site?  Or my.netgear.com.

@Euschrj wrote:

How do we go about starting this conversation up again?

Maybe just update us on what you've done since June.  In particular, did you try mounting the disks in a linux x86 PC?

Message 9 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

I went in and updated my profile in my.netgear.com. (Added my phone number and physical address)

Now the links to my purchased hardware is gone as well as the history of my previous cases.

Since June. They have sat collecting dust. I recently restarted the new array in tech mode awaiting direction.
Message 10 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

1) after i logged into MyNetGear - My Products  illustrate no products are registered by my profile.  When i enter the serial number, it states that it is already registered to speak to someone in tech support.

2)  I really have done nothing with them since June.  I have just opened a case and will try to kick start this again with the hopes of a resolution with the new NAS 21400.  The old case support team indicated that the Firmware would need to be changed to read the old drives.  Presenlty the NAS is booted in Tech Support mode waiting.

Message 11 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Euschrj,

It appears that you were able to get in touch with support and you are waiting for them to contact you.

Have you already tried doing steps 1 to 3 of this article: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA... ?

Regards,

Message 12 of 13
Euschrj
Aspirant

Hello community.

Wanted to share my experience with the board.

Since my older ReadyNAS 4000 V1 died, i have been trying to regain access to my files.

NetGear was so kind to assist and for $200 - allowed access to tech support level 3, was actually shipped a ReadyNAS 4000 V2 to "check and see" if it would read the drives.

Nope no luck,.

So through various testing with numerous other RAID recovery software, found that reClaime could read the drives and build the directory table perfectly.

So for another $200., i was able to activiate the software license and regain the files Tech Support 3 nor a V2 ReadyNAS 4000 would allow me to recover.

Overall, not sure my experience with NetGear Level 3 tech support was somthing i would spend 200 for in the future.  Try reClaime first - save your self the time and trouble dealing the folks on different time zones with little true concern with your need to recover your data.

PS - leason learned - now have a Bluray burner to backup the raid on a solid medium and an external USB drive for a portable medium.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements