× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 and Google's public DNS

whiteWolf1012
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 and Google's public DNS

Device: ReadyNAS 104
Firmware: 6.2.2

I was initially having an issue connecting my NAS to the Internet.

I enabled the antivirus protection, and it would not get the latest updates. On the Cloud tab, it said services were off-line (I had tried to enable ReadyNAS remote)

As soon as I changed the NIC DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (i.e Google's public DNS server) The antivirus immediately updated, and in the cloud tab, there were green checkmarks next to "Internet available" and "services available"

I was happy.

But not for long.

The original goal was to get remote connectivity to the NAS. I went to the ReadyNAS Remote Settings on the cloud tab on the NAS, and under security specified port 6300.
I downloaded ReadyNAS remote, signed in successfully, ensured that the port being used was 6300.

The NAS appeared, I was almost there...

And then it wouldnt connect. The NAS said it was off-line, and even though I would click connect, it just doesn't. No error. No nothing.

So my question is, the fact that it appears off-line, does it have anything to do with the fact that I am using Google's Public DNS server? Could it be something else? If so, what? I've checked the normal stuff - e.g. turned off firewall/antivirus on my computer, then attempted remote connection to ReadyNAS.
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 and Google's public DNS

I don't see any connection between ReadyCloud appearing off-line and changing to the Google DNS server.
Message 2 of 3
whiteWolf1012
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 104 and Google's public DNS

Thanks for the reply. What are some other reasons it would appear offline? I tried the generic ones, but none seem to work. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding setup.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements