× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 dead, but can I salvage the data on it?

jpscaggs
Follower

ReadyNAS 104 dead, but can I salvage the data on it?

Hello all,

I bought a ReadyNAS RN10400 a few years ago. I put 4 Western Digital 2 TB drives in it, and configured them with either RAID-5 or X-RAID (I can't remember which of the 2 I chose). Everything has been working fine for years.

This morning I was greeted with the prompt "Boot from USB" and then "Boot from USB failed!". I googled around and built a USB bootable disk, and now I get the message "DEBUG: $PORT $IP Recovery" when booting from my USB drive.

This unit is not quite 4 years old, but I have accepted that I may need to buy a replacement unit. I want the least risk of losing the data I have on my disks. Looking at the Netgear offerings, it looks like the RN21400-100NES (ReadyNAS RN214 4 Bay) would be the currently-supported replacement.

Does anyone know if I should be able to just pop my old disks into the new unit - will the new unit recognize them without losing my data?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JanBr
Initiate

Re: ReadyNAS 104 dead, but can I salvage the data on it?

I have had the problem with an nv+ and bought a simmilar nv+ and there were no problems with recovering the data

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JanBr
Initiate

I have had the problem with an nv+ and bought a simmilar nv+ and there were no problems with recovering the data

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN104 comes with a 3 year limited hardware warranty. If you are the original purchaser from an authorised reseller you should check if you made the purchase less than 3 years ago.

That message on the LCD when booting off your USB Boot Recovery key would suggest that the USB Boot Recovery key wasn't created correctly. You do need to put the firmware .img file on the USB key. Note that if you download a zip file you'll need to unzip that to get the .img file. If that still doesn't work I may have an additional suggestion of something that could be tried.

The RN214 is one option to move your disks to. There are other options such as the RN424, RN524X etc. depending on your budget and what you want to do with the new NAS.

It is advisable to put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in the new NAS, update the firmware to at least as recent as what was running on the RN104, verify that it comes up fine on the new firmware after the reboot, power down, remove the scratch disk then move your disks across (keeping the order the same). This is particularly important if moving from your ARM model (RN104) to a x86 model (RN424, RN524X etc.).

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I think you should do a bit more troubleshooting before you assume the problem is in the hardware.  The NAS does boot off the drives, after all; so one of them could be the source of your problem.  If you remove the drives (powered down, labeling them so you can put them back in the same order), what result do you get on the display when you turn it back on diskless?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you remove the drives (powered down, labeling them so you can put them back in the same order), what result do you get on the display when you turn it back on diskless?

When you do this, disconnect any USB devices you have connected to the NAS too.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements