× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 3200 Compatible HDD for replacing damaged disk

jitheshar
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3200 Compatible HDD for replacing damaged disk

My ReadyNAS 3200 running RAIDiator 4.2.30 had a disk fail. The volume details are atatched as screen hot below. Can any one suggest whether I can use the New WD Red HDD to replace the damaged one? All the exixting HDD's in the Raid is WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1. 

Also Can I hot swap the HDD with the new one?

Message 1 of 10
Coop59
Aspirant

@jitheshar wrote:

My ReadyNAS 3200 running RAIDiator 4.2.30 had a disk fail. The volume details are atatched as screen hot below. Can any one suggest whether I can use the New WD Red HDD to replace the damaged one? All the exixting HDD's in the Raid is WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1. 

Also Can I hot swap the HDD with the new one?

Hello,

As long as you use a drive that is exactly the same size you should be fine. If the WD Red is 2 tb then you should be good. That;s what it looks like yo uare using. In any case just make sure it's the same size.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Message 2 of 10
jitheshar
Aspirant

Thnaks fo the reply, Only size matters? One of my technition told that if we use a non compatible HDD it will damage the volume and the data will be lost. I checked the compatibility list in the below link, and its shows only old model HDD's

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Message 3 of 10
Coop59
Aspirant

@jitheshar wrote:

Thnaks fo the reply, Only size matters? One of my technition told that if we use a non compatible HDD it will damage the volume and the data will be lost. I checked the compatibility list in the below link, and its shows only old model HDD's

Well I used a QNAP nas and only used WD Red Drives however I had a drive go bad once and I used a Toshiba 2 tb drive the volume rebuilt and it worked fine. That is not to say yours wouldn't get damaged, I have never experienced an issue using a WD Blue or Black or even a Toshiba. It comes down to use your best judgement, I personally would be fine with using a different WD drive as long as it is the same size. Listen to your Tech if he says becareful and it is a critical environment I would be careful and only use a compatible drive.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jitheshar wrote:

Thnaks fo the reply, Only size matters? One of my technition told that if we use a non compatible HDD it will damage the volume and the data will be lost. 

The WD Red is compatible, but it isn't spec'd for use in a 12 bay NAS.

The WD Red Pro is enterprise class, and WD specs it for use in 24 bay NAS.  The WD Gold or Ultrastar DC HA210 would also work.

The drives don't need to be identical, so you can mix/match models that meet the basic specs (including the Seagate Ironwolf Pro or Exos).  Size does need to be 2 TB or more (anything larger just has unused space).  A slower RPM might degrade performance some due to longer seek times (though the drive cache will compensate for this to some degree).  Vibration is a bigger issue in the large chassis - which is why WD doesn't recommend the WD Red for more than 8 bays (and Seagate similarly doesn't recommend the Ironwolf for more than 8 bays).

@jitheshar wrote:

and it shows only old model HDD's

Your NAS is no longer sold, and Netgear hasn't updated the HCL for it for many years now.  So it isn't a useful guide anymore.  Any enterprise-class drive should work in your NAS.

Message 5 of 10
jitheshar
Aspirant

"WD Red is not spec'd" means it will not give optimum perfomance? or will it wont work?.For me perfomance is not a criteria, only data is critical as I use this NAS for archival.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It means it's not recommended by the manufacturer.  As @StephenB said, that's probably due to vibration issues.  It'll work, but may fail prematurely. 

Message 7 of 10
Coop59
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

It means it's not recommended by the manufacturer.  As @StephenB said, that's probably due to vibration issues.  It'll work, but may fail prematurely. 

I agree, look for something that is compatible. I personally built my own NAS and I only use Firecuda 2.5 inch 2tb drives. They work fine for me and I haven't had volume/data problems as of yet. I am also not in a Business Critical environment. Thanks for replying guys all the ideas and opinions matter in to making the correct decision.

Hope you find what you need.

Michael

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It means it's not recommended by the manufacturer.  

Correct.  For instance: https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-hdd The WD website says the Red is for small (1-8 bay) NAS applications, and the Red Pro is recommended for medium to large applications (up to 24 bay).

Seagate has the same guidance for Ironwolf and Ironwolf Pro here: https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf

FWIW, the Pro models also have longer warranties.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

FWIW, I use HGST enterprise (UltraStar) drives in my 12-bay NAS.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements