× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Connectivity issues

linkup1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Connectivity issues

It will not allow me to enter my model number ReadyNASRNDP6000.

Suddenly the other day I couldn't connect to the RN.  No errors on the console, seemed fine, but I couldn't connect through a drive mapping and when trying to bring up the console, I would only get the main screen and it wouldn't continue in.  I have to reset the NAS and then it is fine....but only for hours or a day and then I am right back where I was.  This is after running non-stop since I replaced the PS a year ago.

Running 6.5.0 which I know isn't the most recent, but it has ran fine with that connection.  I have 3.6TB out of 12.7 free.  I get the 70% warning, but have for ages.  I am running dual Eth ports in Round-Robin.  There are no messages or anything on the NAS indicating a problem.  It seems as happy as can be.  Oh ya, I have using SMB to communicate.

What could be causing me to essentially disconnect from the NAS and it is solved with a reboot?  BTW, the connection issue is from all devices including my Kodi box.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Connectivity issues

@linkup1 wrote:

Your suggestion seems more of a software fix?

Yes.  I am assuming that something is mildly corrupted in the OS, leading to a memory leak or some similar condition.

It could also be something hardware related - a failing PSU can give a wide range of symptoms.  But most hardware issues should be giving you some alerts in the logs (temperature alerts, rising SMART error counts, etc).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you restart the NAS normally, or do you need to forcibly power it off?  

Also, what apps (if any) do you have installed?

One suggestion is to temporarily disable the bond, and see if that makes any difference.

Message 2 of 8
linkup1
Aspirant

By forcibly, no, I used the front panel button to "Ask" it to power down.  Have had to reboot it twice now.  I am assuming a forced power off would be through the back power switch?

I un-bound the ports as you suggested.

What baffles me is there are no error messages, nothing was changed on the NAS...trying to figure out what could "change" or "break" such that a functioning system is no longer reliable?  The first finger gets pointed at hardware, but other than the adapters, what could cause a network issue, and I should say network, as the ports are still connected, but for "traffic" purposes, basically disabled.

Message 3 of 8
linkup1
Aspirant

I had left a browser window on the admin page...was flipping around and noticed it said the admin page is offline, and sure enough, the server has dropped communication...I am unable to connect through Explorer either.

Message 4 of 8
linkup1
Aspirant

this morning the NAS couldn't be seen at all...before it was visible, just not accessible.  Today it was totally offline.  I did a normal turn off and it went down as it should meaning it was running like always, just not talking...help!!

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you have a backup, you could do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data from backup.

If you don't have a backup, perhaps use paid support (my.netgear.com).  You can ask for per-incident support.

Message 6 of 8
linkup1
Aspirant

Just bought yet another exernal 8TB drive in hopes I have enough space now to back up the server.  I will also be swapping out two 2TB drives and replacing with 8TB shucked Reds.  If the best suggestion is to backup and build from scratch, best time to put in new drives it seems.

The system will work fine for days, then four hours after a reboot is disconnects again.  Software related items shouldn't work on a whim which leads me more to hardware than software?  Your suggestion seems more of a softare fix?  Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

Your suggestion seems more of a software fix?

Yes.  I am assuming that something is mildly corrupted in the OS, leading to a memory leak or some similar condition.

It could also be something hardware related - a failing PSU can give a wide range of symptoms.  But most hardware issues should be giving you some alerts in the logs (temperature alerts, rising SMART error counts, etc).

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements