× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100NAS inaccessible

JayRo34
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100NAS inaccessible

Hello,

I have owned this ReadyNAS Duo for years  - it stores pix, music, videos, backup files, and everything else.

a week ago the drive 2 light and poser butting kept blinking and now I cannot access the network drives, the admin from my browser, or really anything else. I pulled the drives and restarted it.  With no drives, it is still inaccessible... lights are blinking and the fan sounds like a startup mode.

I'm not sure if it is dead or needs to be replaced.  If it needs to be replaced, I'm not sure how to get all of my configurations with shares and everything back running.

Please help... I am praying I haven't eliminated access to every bit of historical data and family pix forever!!!

Model: RND2110v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (1TB: 1 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100NAS inaccessible

@JayRo34 wrote:

With no drives, it is still inaccessible... lights are blinking and the fan sounds like a startup mode.

I'm not sure if it is dead or needs to be replaced. 

Let me start by saying that the behavior with no disks installed is completely normal.  But one more thing you can do (while it is diskless) is to look at the status with RAIDar (https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads ).  It should be able to discover your NAS and report that it has no disks.

@JayRo34 wrote:

a week ago the drive 2 light and poser butting kept blinking and now I cannot access the network drives, the admin from my browser, or really anything else. I pulled the drives and restarted it. 

Try powering down the NAS, and installing just disk 2 (in slot 2).  Then power it up and see if it boots.

If that fails, then power the NAS down again, and install just disk 1 (in slot 1).  Power it up again and see if it boots.

When/if the NAS does boot, then the first thing you should do is back up the data to another disk (for instance a USB drive).

@JayRo34 wrote:

Please help... I am praying I haven't eliminated access to every bit of historical data and family pix forever!!!

I do hope we can avoid data loss.

However, RAID protection isn't enough to keep your data safe.  If you can regain access, it is important to put a backup plan in place for your NAS.  We can give advice on that later on.

Message 2 of 4
JayRo34
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, please do not take that as lack of appreciation.

Ran raidar - found my NAS with a different IP address than the static one I assigned years ago. 
Every network drive on every PC since has had the same IP address assigned to the NAS, i.e. 192.168.0.102 vs. 192.168.0.33

Shut down, plugged in disk 2, restarted...
Raidar reflected the correct IP address ...33
However, I only plugged in disk 2 but it had green check marks for BOTH drives.
"Browse" got me into Disk 2... everything is there!!!!
"Admin" lauched correctly. Log shows "RAID sync started on volume C." several times, but no completion.  Recognizes only one drive installed.

Ok, first let me start with a huge thank you for getting me to here!

Now, before I put in Disk 1 and risk watching it X-RAID all of my data to zero or something similarly catastrophic..
What should I do?
Put in Disk 1?
Remove some old legacy apps (as I have seen in other threads)?
Update firmware with a USB (not that I know what that means... more threads)?
Buy something?
And please tell me your suggested backup strategy... I thought the X-RAID WAS my backup strategy! (I'm sure you are cringing)

Please and thank you... I am so grateful.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@JayRo34 wrote:
"Browse" got me into Disk 2... everything is there!!!!
"Admin" lauched correctly. Log shows "RAID sync started on volume C." several times, but no completion.  Recognizes only one drive installed.

Great!  It looks to me like disk 1 failed.  Normally the NAS will boot off that drive if it is present.   You can confirm that by testing disk 1 in a Windows PC with vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital).  Another possibility (much less likely) is that bay 1 has failed. 

The best thing to do now is copy your data off the NAS.  The fastest way to do that is to copy it over a wired ethernet connection to a drive connected to your PC (for instance a USB drive).

After you have a copy of the data, you can try replacing disk 1.  You'd insert the replacement while the NAS is running.  The disk compatibility list is very old (so it isn't a useful guide).  NAS-purposed drives are good choices - WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf.

@JayRo34 wrote:

Now, before I put in Disk 1 and risk watching it X-RAID all of my data to zero or something similarly catastrophic..
What should I do?
Put in Disk 1?
Remove some old legacy apps (as I have seen in other threads)?
Update firmware with a USB (not that I know what that means... more threads)?

The best thing to do now is copy your data off the NAS.  The fastest way to do that is to copy it over a wired ethernet connection to a drive connected to your PC (for instance a USB drive).

After you have a copy of the data, you can try replacing disk 1.  You'd insert the replacement while the NAS is running.  The disk compatibility list is very old (so it isn't a useful guide).  NAS-purposed drives are good choices - WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf.

@JayRo34 wrote:

And please tell me your suggested backup strategy... I thought the X-RAID WAS my backup strategy! (I'm sure you are cringing)

I think the least expensive strategy is to back up the NAS to USB drives.  As noted above, with your NAS it's fastest to connect the drive to a PC that is connected to the network with ethernet.  Ideally you'd use two drives, and rotate them (perhaps weekly).  

A more expensive (but also more convenenient) strategy is to back up your NAS to another NAS.  That's what I do myself.  You'd get a new NAS (perhaps an RN212) and re-purpose your Duo as a backup.  You can set up backup jobs in the web ui that wiill back up each share automatically on a schedule.  The RN212 is quite a bit faster than the Duo, and it has more features as well.  So it would give you an upgrade as well as a backup.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements