× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo Replacement

steveTu
Apprentice

ReadyNAS Duo Replacement

My old NAS is getting on a bit and I've just had to replace a disc (thanks to all on that thread) and I've been thinking about getting a complete replacement NAS. From what I can gather the OS on Netgear NASs has changed - so I want to be sure that what I currently use the DUO for is supported on later NASs.

I'm a Linux user - and the NAS is a backup for my Fedora (and my Kids Windows) laptops as well as being a server for Music,DVDs and Photos. Currently, the DUO allows me to defines users and specify the UID/GID so files backed up to the DUO (and restored), via rsync to NFS mounted NAS drives, retain the same file attributes. My usable UIDs/GIDs are in the 1000 range. Would the new Netgear OS cater for me defining users' UID/GID on the NAS in the 1000 range?

Also, is the ReadyNas RN212 the current replacement model for the DUO?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Try browsing directly to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of course).  That should take you directly to the web ui, instead of going through ReadyCloud.

You can also get more status information from RAIDar: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@steveTu wrote:

Currently, the DUO allows me to defines users and specify the UID/GID so files backed up to the DUO (and restored), via rsync to NFS mounted NAS drives, retain the same file attributes. Currently, the DUO allows me to defines users and specify the UID/GID so files backed up to the DUO (and restored), via rsync to NFS mounted NAS drives, retain the same file attributes. My usable UIDs/GIDs are in the 1000 range. Would the new Netgear OS cater for me defining users' UID/GID on the NAS in the 1000 range?

Yes - no problems creating users or groups in the 1000 range.   One caveat - the UID/GID for admin is 98 in OS-6.  Guest/Nobody is 99. You can't change either of those (or any other built-in account).

And it does support NFS, though the mount point is a bit different (it includes the data volume in the path).

@steveTu wrote:

I'm a Linux user - and the NAS is a backup for my Fedora (and my Kids Windows) laptops as well as being a server for Music,DVDs and Photos.

The backup jobs in the OS-6 NAS have the same features as the Duo (though the UI is different).  Of course it can host SMB shares (and unlike the Duo supports SMB 3).  Like the Duo, they also include a DLNA (and an iTunes) server - and you could also install plex.

@steveTu wrote:

Also, is the ReadyNas RN212 the current replacement model for the DUO?

Yes, that is the currently shipping entry model.  It has a quadcore ARM processor, and is capable of 100 MB/s large file transfers on a gigabit network - much faster than your Duo.  The entry x86 model is the RN422.  Both run Debian 8 (Jessie).  There are a couple of features that only work on x86, but I don't think any of them would be needed for your uses. 

If you do a lot of small file transfers, then you might consider a 4 bay unit.  Then you could add two SSDs later - either as a separate volume, or as an SSD cache.

FWIW, you can back up shares on the OS-6 NAS to the Duo, so you could repurpose the Duo as a backup NAS if you wish.  Also, you can transfer your data to the OS-6 NAS with rsync backup jobs (after you set up your custom user/groups on the new NAS). 

Message 2 of 11
steveTu
Apprentice

@StephenB 

Thanks again for the comprehensive reply.

My backups (from my laptops) are already rsync'd across to the DUO mounted NFS drives. In fact all my photos, music and DVDs are also rsync'd across each night when I shut down my laptop. So that seems as though it will remain the same.

The DLNA service (is it still minidlna driven?) is then used across multiple devices around the house .. so no issue there from what you say.

I think a two bay  will suit - the two bay DUO has been grand so far and more than enough for my limited use. I was going to simply modify my scripts to back up to the two NASs once I get a new one - but I'll look at the OS6 backup facility and see if it's just as easy for me to back up to the new NAS and have that automatically back up to the old DUO.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@steveTu wrote:

The DLNA service (is it still minidlna driven?) 

Yes.  And the plex app has it's own DLNA server, which gives you a second option if you need it.  Plex can do real-time transcoding, which many people find useful.

@steveTu wrote:

but I'll look at the OS6 backup facility and see if it's just as easy for me to back up to the new NAS and have that automatically back up to the old DUO.

Both will work (I used rsync backup to migrate from my Pro-6 to my RN526x).  And you can use the backup on the Duo too (it will backup to an OS-6 share with no problem).  Though I like "pull" backups myself.

OS-6 NAS use the BTRFS file system for the data volume.  The snapshot feature of BTRFS is exposed in the NAS UI, and it will give you some rollback on your backups - something you might look into.  If you use that feature, use the "Custom" snapshots - they give you control over retention, while the "Smart" snapshots don't.

Also, BTRFS needs more free space than EXT.  Generally you don't want to fill the volume over 80%.  So size the disks with that in mind.

Message 4 of 11
steveTu
Apprentice

Thanks again Steve.

I had thought to up the space to 4TB (so two 4TB drives) - which would give me more than enough excess space.

Message 5 of 11
steveTu
Apprentice

OK - Got a ReadyNAS 212.

Put in two used 4TB discs and went through the process of formatting the discs (reset & power until boot mode, then pressing backup until disk  1 light only on).

After that the lights alternated between power and the activity/disk lights for while. Then, the lights stabilised with just the activity light flashing.

I thought that the factory reset and formatting had completed - so tried to configure the box by connecting via readycloud.netgear.com - that connected and discovered the NAS ok - so I assumed all was well. The setup asked for the backup or power button to be used to 'fix' the NAS's connection. It detected that ok and moved onto the next web page - but it loops on that page with:

Loading the web page, please wait...

alternating between two different sized fonts.

The activity light on the front of the box is still flashing Does that mean that the disks are still initialising? How can I tell?

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Try browsing directly to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of course).  That should take you directly to the web ui, instead of going through ReadyCloud.

You can also get more status information from RAIDar: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 7 of 11
steveTu
Apprentice

It's literally just come back. I hadn't got as far as assigning IPs . Jut gone in via direct ip (had to pick up IP from router) - and it looks like the box is still 'synching' for some reason.

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

RAID1 sync takes an etermity.  I have no idea why.  A 4-drve RAID5 of drives the exact same size will take 1/4 the time.  It makes no sense, but it's the truth. .

Message 9 of 11
steveTu
Apprentice

@Sandshark 

Looks like it has 5 hours plus to go. But I'm configuring the box as I want anyway, so no greate shakes.

I do have some questions, but I'll raise separate threads for those.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Configuring is fine.  I don't suggest starting to copy files, as that will slow the sync down significantly more.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements