× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ SSH Access problem - my fauly!

PCJB
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ SSH Access problem - my fauly!

OK My fault!

I have had my ReadyNAS NV+ working fine for years and use SSH remote root access to fix problems as necessary. 

Today I did a stupid thing. I SSHd into the ReadNAS and then wanted to SSH out to a local Raspberry Pi, but ReadyNAS SSH baulked with no KEX Alg error. Google told me to add  

KexAlgorithms diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 to /etc/ssh/sshd_config (and restarting ssh)!

Which I did without thinking!

Now I cant SSH into the unit using putty as I get a connection rejected message immediately. The Server is working fine for file sharing and I can access the admin page with no problem and my local hosted intra website runs as does myphpadmin.

So my problem is how to ger inot the server to remove my edit to sshd_config back to original..

I was wondering if there was a way of maybe editing a phpscript from the website to invoke the nano editor on the server to enable me to edit the file?

Also would simply reinstalling SSH Root access from frontview rewrite the sshd_config file?

Any pointers to a solution appreciated.

Paul 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
PCJB
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ SSH Access problem - my fauly!

Thanks to all. I’ve fixed it and all is ok now.

some Googling discovered that there is a serial port on the back panel, under the little screwed plate that is the console port.

There are two rows of 0.1” pins one has 6 pins and the other has 4. The internet info indicated that the 4 pins were 3.3v TTL RXD & TXD. A meter showed the pin outs at 3.3V RXD TXD  GND from Left to Right when looking at the pins. Using a USB 3.3v TTL dongle plugged (Dongle TXD to NV+ RXD, Dongle RXD to NV+TXD , GND to GND, 3.3v not connected.) at 9600 8N1 XON/XOFF and pressing CR gave me a login prompt!!  logged in and fixed the error and all working again.

Thanks again. Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@PCJB wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way of maybe editing a phpscript from the website to invoke the nano editor on the server to enable me to edit the file?

Also would simply reinstalling SSH Root access from frontview rewrite the sshd_config file?

Maybe, but I think the only way to tell is to try it.

An OS reinstall from the boot menu might possibly work. 

A factory default would of course work, but would reformat the disks - so you'd lose your data, and you'd need to reinstall your add-ons.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

You ought to be able to get in and fix it via Support mode, I would think.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You ought to be able to get in and fix it via Support mode, I would think.

Yes, that should work.

@PCJB - do you know how to do that?

Message 4 of 5
PCJB
Aspirant

Thanks to all. I’ve fixed it and all is ok now.

some Googling discovered that there is a serial port on the back panel, under the little screwed plate that is the console port.

There are two rows of 0.1” pins one has 6 pins and the other has 4. The internet info indicated that the 4 pins were 3.3v TTL RXD & TXD. A meter showed the pin outs at 3.3V RXD TXD  GND from Left to Right when looking at the pins. Using a USB 3.3v TTL dongle plugged (Dongle TXD to NV+ RXD, Dongle RXD to NV+TXD , GND to GND, 3.3v not connected.) at 9600 8N1 XON/XOFF and pressing CR gave me a login prompt!!  logged in and fixed the error and all working again.

Thanks again. Hope this helps someone else.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements