× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ V1 - Transmission | Cant delete files & folders

Mr_B
Guide

ReadyNAS NV+ V1 - Transmission | Cant delete files & folders

Well, i "started over" so to speak, and put 4 different used drives in my NV+, factory reset it, and promptly installed Transmission 2.84.

Took a bit of fiddling to get it set up with the right folderstructure and whatnot, but now it's downloading to where it should, and has it's incomplete files in a subfolder in the same share.

Now, i have the weirdest issue. Something i never had before, and i cant quite figure out why it's doing like this.

After downloading something, removing the torrent, and leaving the files behind, i cant move, or delete the files, and with that, the folders remains as well. (of course)

Security setting is "share" (Well, it's not, it's "dela" since my unit speaks Swedish, and it seams that cant be changed on the fly? As best as i can guess, it's share. The alternatives not in use is user, and domain.) and the owner / usergroup is nobody / nogroup. (Im quite happy with everyone in my "home group" being able to access it without the use of a lot of passwords and whatnot. It's just me here, so it saves me a bit of trouble.)

My current workaround is simply to head in to the shares, share list, and open the share up by clicking the CIFS "note" behind the share name, head to "advanced alternatives" (well, again, as best as i can guess, swedish is "avancerade alternativ") where i select the empty box to signify that i want the current settings above to take affect on all current files in the share, and hit "apply". ("tillämpa")

Note to self, support issues are a lot easier if your unit speaks english, so on the next reset... Make it speak english.

Anyway, the workaround above works, which to me suggests that the transmission client is actually setting a different owner. So, how do i see what this owner is, and, more importantly, how do i figure out a way to deal with this. I'm open to resetting the unit again, i have to pull about a tB of data of it, and reinstall transmission, but thats all fairly easy...

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V1 - Transmission | Cant delete files & folders

I would recommend using user mode (not share mode) and resetting the permissions on the share after you do this. On the box, you can reset all permissions at once to nobody/nogroup. 

Then, see if transmission added a user to your user list. If it did, make sure that this user has full permission on the share. If transmission is running as root, then root permissions aren't going to allow you to move or modify the files.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

I would recommend using user mode (not share mode) and resetting the permissions on the share after you do this. On the box, you can reset all permissions at once to nobody/nogroup. 

Then, see if transmission added a user to your user list. If it did, make sure that this user has full permission on the share. If transmission is running as root, then root permissions aren't going to allow you to move or modify the files.

Message 2 of 4
Mr_B
Guide

Flipped the switch as suggested, and straight away was allowef to delete the offending folders, however, i cant remeber if i already went and did the workaround for them or not. So i qued up a torrent for over-night download, and will check again in the morning. But right of from the start, i can move files that are in the incomplete folder, so i think i'll be able to move & delete stuff from the completed folder as well.

Speaking of users, there are NO users in the list, and, i'm not allowed to create "my" user, since i'm using Mr B localy, and the NAS doesn't allow spaces in the user name (which is why i didn't go with user mode to start with. Setting the same user / password as i have in windows would be optimal, but that isn't possible. Using a different one makes it freak out and requests logon credentials every time you try and access it. Well, close enough.

And no, i'm not going to change from Mr B, since i wont freaking remeber what my login is at that point. I've had the same for the last 30 years or so... I know what hell i have whenever i try to get back in on forums that wont allow me to use a space, i allways end up having the forum mail me my credentials...)

Weird that i can access it without users configured, but i suppose thats the way it's supposed to be...?

Cheers.

B!

Message 3 of 4
Mr_B
Guide

Well, no users created seams to be working out quite all right.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements